Aermacchi MB-326C jet trainer project......

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the Aermacchi MB-326C jet trainer "project" which would have featured the nose-cone, radar and systems/equipment of the F-104G Starfighter......

The article comes from the 3rd November 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Aermacchi MB-326C jet trainer project - Les Ailes - No. 1,850 - 3 Novembre 1961.......jpg
    Aermacchi MB-326C jet trainer project - Les Ailes - No. 1,850 - 3 Novembre 1961.......jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 538
Interesting find – thanks for posting. Will be interesting to see someone model this one and then be able to proove it was a real proposal.

From a picture seen in the AerMacchi engineering office some 40 years ago, I'd say they at least mocked up this on a standard MB.326 trainer.

If memory serves me correctly, the Candair CL-41R was produced to this same, or a similar, requirement.

elmayerle said:
From a picture seen in the AerMacchi engineering office some 40 years ago, I'd say they at least mocked up this on a standard MB.326 trainer.

If memory serves me correctly, the Candair CL-41R was produced to this same, or a similar, requirement.

This is the only picture I have.
Not sure of its providence, nor it's reality.
Georgio Apostolo in his book "Aermacchi MB-326" says only that the MB-326C reached the mockup stage, due to the availability of the TF-104G.
This could of course mean a flying mockup without the avionics.

Attachments

• mb326c.jpg
    mb326c.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 268
In addition, and I'm not sure that this is the thread for this, but I have been trying to find out more about the South African Atlas Aviation project that modified the Atlas Impala (MB-326) wing.

I've seen this called the ERW (Extended Range Wing), amongst other things.

If anybody knows anything further, I would appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom