Aerfer Leone test_01.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 603
This is the Leone under construction

Attachments

• Aerfer Leone.jpg
    Aerfer Leone.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 556
Yep, I utilize this shot as reference.

But it still unclear to me if it is the first prototype (that was completed as 80% before the programme was scrubbed) or only a engineering mock-up, perhaps Skybolt could clarify this aspect.

From
"Dal SAI Ambrosini Sagittario All'Aerfer Leone"
by Giuseppe Ciampaglia
Aviolibri Dossier 2 ;)

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 820
Justo Miranda said:
From
"Dal SAI Ambrosini Sagittario All'Aerfer Leone"
by Giuseppe Ciampaglia
Aviolibri Dossier 2 ;)

Manyt thanks Justo.

I've already had this image but it seems to represent an intermediate stage between Ariete and Leone (perhaps the rumored Sagittario III), a lot of things doesn't accord with the mock-up/prototype image.

Interesting inboard profile.
In case of uncontained engine failure, if the pilot was not shreded to pieces by the turbine blades, the fuel tank behind his instrument panel would spill inside the cockpit with hot shrapnel.
People knew no fear in those days. :-X
--Luc

Uh, I have all my books packed up (redoing the floor tiles in a few days now), but I think to remember that the photo posted by Walter was an engineering mock-up of the first version of the Leone. I have some photocopies of docs somewhere (not in the packs). I'll try and find them.
As for the danger of flying those planes, the worst case was less exploding engines than sabotaged primary and secondary brake circuits....

Skybolt said:
Uh, I have all my books packed up (redoing the floor tiles in a few days now), but I think to remember that the photo posted by Walter was an engineering mock-up of the first version of the Leone. I have some photocopies of docs somewhere (not in the packs). I'll try and find them.
As for the danger of flying those planes, the worst case was less exploding engines than sabotaged primary and secondary brake circuits....

A question, what kind of missiles should carry on the Leone?
First version of Sidewinder, or something else?

I think Stefanutti was thinking of unguided rockets, not missiles. Leone was a point interceptor. He steered away from other roles to avoid, er, interdiction by a certain competitor. And even then it wasn't enough to save the project from cancellation.

archipeppe said:
A question, what kind of missiles should carry on the Leone?
First version of Sidewinder, or something else?

The Italians worked in those day on their indigenous air-to-air missile that is usually referred to as the C-7. It seems probable that an Italian fighter would have been armed with Italian weapons, don't you think?

Here you may find a picture and sketches of the missile as well as an excerpt from the Flight magazine on the C-7.

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• C-7_01.jpg
    C-7_01.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 470
  • C-7_02.jpg
    C-7_02.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 447
  • C-7_03.jpg
    C-7_03.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 115
  • C-7_text.JPG
    C-7_text.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 140
Many, many thanks Piotr.
I knew about the SISPRE C-7 but never seen an image about that.

So I will represent my Leone with two C-7 beneath the wing.

"In case of uncontained engine failure, if the pilot was not shreded to pieces by the turbine blades, the fuel tank behind his instrument panel would spill inside the cockpit with hot shrapnel." One of the aircraft in my squadron threw a turbine blade into the main fuel cell, sitting on the ramp. The result was an instantaneous fireball. No worry about fuel running intothe cockpit.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

Peppe, are you sure that the Leone was buot to carry missile under the wing ?

Skybolt said:
Peppe, are you sure that the Leone was buot to carry missile under the wing ?

Relatively sure, scarce sources and references are about the Leone.
Wikipedia speaks about two missile:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerfer_Leone

and over the net I found another image (unfortunately too much small) of the Leone's mock-up with two external tanks under the wing, thorough two pylons. So I thought about that ones could be also utilized to carry missiles.

Attachments

• AerferLeone.jpeg
    AerferLeone.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,231
Another question, what MM did was assigned to the first Leone prototype (if ever)??

Work in progress#2....

Attachments

• Aerfer Leone test_02.jpg
    Aerfer Leone test_02.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 643
Work in progress#3, the next one will be the definitive 3-views.

Attachments

• Aerfer Leone test_03.jpg
    Aerfer Leone test_03.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 613
And now a little "what if", this drawing represents an Aerfer Leone of the 4th Italian Air Force Wing, based in Grosseto (Tuscany), in July 1969.
Armed with a couple of SISPRE C-7 I/R AA Missiles beneath the wing.

Attachments

• Aerfer Leone AMI.jpg
    Aerfer Leone AMI.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 662
Inside Leone....

Attachments

• Aerfer Leone cutaway.jpg
    Aerfer Leone cutaway.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 848
Two more images of Leone. The mock-up (not prototype, I think) shows what could be a Firestreak missile. In the B/W image the shape of that weapons are clearer.

Attachments

• Aerfer-Leone-mockup.jpg
    Aerfer-Leone-mockup.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Leone.png
    Leone.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 227
Wow! First time I see a front view of the Leone's mock-up.
Yes, the air-to-air missile are definitely two deHavilland Propellers Firestreak Mk.1
Many thanks

Nico

AERFER Ariete II

It should be noted that there was a project 'between' Aerfer Ariete and Leone: Ariete II. It was to have the Orpheus engine in stead of the Derwent and armament more powerful than that of Ariete (I): in addition to the pair of 30mm HS guns it was to have a rocket pack consisting of two 9-rocket launchers. Here you've got drawings showing the arrangements.

Piotr

Attachments

• Ariete 2.jpg
    Ariete 2.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 313
  • Ariete 2 - Rocket Pack.jpg
    Ariete 2 - Rocket Pack.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 303
Re: AERFER Ariete II

Petrus said:
It should be noted that there was a project 'between' Aerfer Ariete and Leone: Ariete II. It was to have the Orpheus engine in stead of the Derwent and armament more powerful than that of Ariete (I): in addition to the pair of 30mm HS guns it was to have a rocket pack consisting of two 9-rocket launchers. Here you've got drawings showing the arrangements.

Piotr

Wow,thank you my dear Petrus.

Re: AERFER Ariete II

Petrus said:

Piotr

From Aerei Nella Storia 12-2010/1-2011

Attachments

• A-1.png
    A-1.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 151