Additional Type 45s

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In my ATL, the intention was to build 12 Type 45's, however an initial batch of six were built the second batch were deferred to ensure funds for the construction of the QE's and the first of the Astute SSN.
As the carriers are completed the order for the second batch of Type 45's is placed. What amendments and improvement could/should be made to the design.

Procure a licence for the ANS/ANF supersonic anti-ship missile? Also possibly as well a licence for a British version of the Sea Lance ASW missile, given that there likely wouldn't be enough spare space for a Super Ikara installation or similar.

Last edited:
In my ATL, the intention was to build 12 Type 45's, however an initial batch of six were built the second batch were deferred to ensure funds for the construction of the QE's and the first of the Astute SSN.
As the carriers are completed the order for the second batch of Type 45's is placed. What amendments and improvement could/should be made to the design.
Were this to happen, containing costs would be a barrier to any massive changes. Supplementing the A50 VLS with an affordable Sea Ceptor installation and replacing the 4.5" with 5" Mk45 as seen on T26, or even the 57mm from T31, should be doable without gigantic price impact.

Procure a licence for the ANS/ANF supersonic anti-ship missile? Also possibly as well a licence for a British version of the Sea Lance ASW missile, given that there likely wouldn't be enough spare space for a Super Ikara installation or similar.
I thought A,NS/ANF was dead and buried. The RN is looking at a short term replacement for Harpoon, with RBS 15 is favourite, and the ultimate replacement being Perseus, developed by MBDA for the RN and MN.

The Italians and French could only afford two each of their Project Horizon ships. Admittedly they are better armed than T45s.
I am still unclear how successful the T45s have been, with many problems reported in the press.
Replacing the ageing T23 frigates seems a more urgent task.
How successful or otherwise the T26/T31 combination will be is discussed elsewhere.
Crewing more than 6 T45 or similar would require a much larger pool than the RN has.

So the open architecture of FLAADS is based on opening up PAAMS. Arguably then, this ought be applied to PAAMS itself as a system. Making future changes and integration much easier.
The addition of CEC or similar is a major force enabler.
Chief extra ought then to be additional ABM capability, tied to an improved Samson mkII AESA.
To actually achieve this further developments of the Aster family of missiles need to be realised.
Additional silos are desirable, ideally of A70 or longer.
Ceptor, ideally quad packed or in separate cell arrays should also be included.

As is HVP would deliver an additional AAW string to it's bow, but since the projectile is 120mm and saboted for 127mm or 155mm guns. This needs additional mk45 5" to replace to 4.5" mk8.

Zen, you mention additional VLS, I've always wondered why the T45's silos were arranged longitudinally and not laterally as in US ships, the size of the VLS installation seems to be large enough to allow it and if concentrated again like US ships it would allow for 96 cells.

Another desirable expansion of capability would be in the dark realm of EW.

Back
Top Bottom