Abrams Strato-plane "Explorer" P-2

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks! One of my favorite pre-war aircraft... Any idea what this P-2 was supposed to be? The P-1 is the Explorer we all know, the one in the photographs. From the 3-view of the P-2, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference...

Anyhow, the title of the thread seems inadequate, it should read "Explorer P-2 Stratoplane" (no hyphen), since "Explorer" is the name of the model, P-1 the first prototype, and "Stratoplane" probably the individual name of the planned second aircraft (P-2) of that same model.

archipeppe

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Even if this aircraft could be regarded as a sort of Edgar Optica forerunner, it share some (coincidental???) resemblance with the Dutch fighter proposal of DeSchelde S-21....

Attachments

J

joncarrfarrelly

Abrams projects

P-2: same general layout as P-1, retractable landing gear
P-3: pressurized military project
PC-4: pressurized photo or commercial project, this was the aircraft Ted Abrams referred to as the Stratoplane.

Source: Skyways, June 2002

Attachments

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification and the plans that go with it!

Some more photos, hoping they haven't been posted on this forum already. Note that the P-1 fuselage is still preserved at Garber facility though it needs a major rehaul. Don't know if they've got the wings somewhere, though I would think logical.

Attachments

VictorXL188

Former Aviation journalist/writer
Reaction score
Hi First of all in regards to the Abrams P-1 Explorer in the museum, it is all there, including the wings. Back in a former life as an editorial assistant at Aerospace Publishing, I decided to do some research, in regards to adding the P-1 to the A-Z section, within a forthcoming new aviation partwork. During this research, I found that the Abrams Aerial Survey company were still going! I ended up speaking on the phone to the grandson of Talbert Abrams himself, who furnished me with a stack of information, of which only a small proportion was able to be used, in the context that the entry needed. I wish I could post a copy of the entry that I finally wrote, but I am currently suffering technical difficulties!

Boxman

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Here is British Pathe footage of the Abrams Explorer (reg. NX19897) on YouTube.

YouTube - British Pathé: "America Prepares For Attack On Stratosphere Aka United States Stratosphere (1938)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTix-V4mjY

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
These series of aircraft/projects lead me to Edgley Optica, that build about 40 years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPCOommZ90

As "Explorer", it has been an "eye-catcher" of contemporary public, and even for our time as well - nice example of industrial design, representing the period's ideas on the shape of future's aircraft.

Comparison with De Schelde is brilliant!

tallguy

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
archipeppe said:
Even if this aircraft could be regarded as a sort of Edgar Optica forerunner, it share some (coincidental???) resemblance with the Dutch fighter proposal of DeSchelde S-21....
As it does the Sikorsky H-5?