American Aircraft Corp. (Aerocraft) Patriot aka 'Unidentified Russian tilt-rotor' at Russell Military Museum

Hmm...wery interesting...don't remember any movie - and this is definitely movie stuff - that has this weird banana.

I think that is some kind of a Helicopter
there are Rotoblades and Engine (see second picture)

but must be Movie Prop, but Wat movie ?

It not in http://www.rotaryaction.com/index.html
A Russia or Asia movie Prop ???
or canceled US Movie stuff ?

here littel Sketch, how it look like
(on base wat they have on the Truck)

but must this be Soviet ?
can be Chines, Nord corea even Cuba thing for a Movie

Attachments

• unknow-movie-prop.png
    unknow-movie-prop.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,129
All of us know, of course, about mighty aerospace industry of the Cuba, and, especially, North Korea...
Big bloody red star doesn't mean that this is Soviet chopper?

These days it could be a prop from a video game as easily as a movie.

... or it could be from the famed Cuban Aerospace Company.

Hi everyone, new here and thought I could contribute a little to this thread. The above A/C is fictional, it was a fixed wing "tilt rotor" project for a movie here in LA. I'll try and get the details.

The image attaced surfaced in an auction on ebay about a year ago. The auction was for the Hind.

Attachments

• 83_3.jpg
    83_3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 981
That's it all right. I knew somebody here would know about it. Any additional details, or photos, would be really appreciated. Many thanks.

Joe

The Soviets in the '80s said they were working on a Tilt-Rotor and it was rumored to be an attack aircraft. Remember, all the Tilt-Rotor data that was developed by NASA on the XV-15was freely available to all, so they had that to start from. Once research went into private and military funding, that information source dried up. It was said they abandoned their work because they weren't able to develop the control technologies. Since Russia will now sell practically anything for cash (they offered the last flyable TU-144 sans engines on eBay) this mockup may or may not have been related. If so, it's quite a find!

Desertpilot said:
The above A/C is fictional, it was a fixed wing "tilt rotor" project for a movie here in LA.

I'm just wondering if there was ever any progress on the research into the origins of this thing?

The Soviets actually were working on a Tilt-Rotor, and what is purported to be the mockup was recently sold to a museum in the West. Here are some pics of the mockup on a truck and reassembled in a museum sans proprotors (I forgot which museum).

Attachments

• Sovtr-1.jpg
    Sovtr-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 568
  • sovtr-2.jpg
    sovtr-2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 428
Anyone one know what this is? Reminds me of Mi-30 somewhat.

[links to pictures removed as they no longer worked — Mod.]

US movie prop
we have discussed it here somewhere before

Greetings All -

A few weeks ago we went up to spend a few days wqith my Mother who lives west of Chicago. My son Jack and I went to the Russell Military Museum which is north of Chicago right on the border with Wisconsin. In the Museum building was this fiberglass mock up purported to be a Soviet design. Anyone recognize this? Note what appears to be missing canards on the forward fuselage.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 7.jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 7.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 259
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 6 .jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 6 .jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 200
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 5.jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 5.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 535
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 4.jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 549
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 3 .jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 3 .jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 561
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 2.jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 588
  • zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 1.jpg
    zSoviet tilt rotor mockup - 1.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 687
Thanks for this, Mark.
How in the world did an unknown Russian aircraft design I've never seen before wind up in a U.S. museum I've never heard of before?
Good find, Mark.
I'm more than just a little bewildered.
BTW: What kind of camera are you using? Very good photos!
-SP

Welll....huh.

It still exists! All I can add is this photo that I picked up at a swap meet a number of years ago. It's interesting to note that the improbably short rotor blades are still upside down or were designed with negative camber(!). I'm inclined to think that it was painted in a desert tan/brown/green color scheme.

I have no idea what it is, but I've always suspected that it was probably meant for a film starring an actor with an improbably thick Austrian accent.

Attachments

• MysteryAerospaceTiltrotor3000.jpg
    MysteryAerospaceTiltrotor3000.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 402
Looks like it....
Whatever it is.
As an aside: What did the museum people tell you?
-SP

Greetings All -

Thanks for finding the right thread for the pics.

Steve, I have a pair of Canon T3i bodies and at the Museum, used 10-18 and 18-135 lenses.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I'm not exactly sure, but this museum sounds like a roadside museum on I-94 going to Milwaukee. We're not dealing with the Smithsonian here. Maybe they got them from Iran" :)

From the G503 Military Vehicle Message Forum in 2007.
The same thread mentions that the 'ejection seat' is from a Ford Van, and a fiberglass repair guy figured it might cost $50,000 to build a duplicate

by Easy8 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:00 pm

A little background I volunteer for a museum. We just got this tilt-rotor "aircraft" in and no one knows a thing about it. It was named "Patriot". It is a non flying mock-up. It is constructed entirely from fiberglass with the exception of the landing gears. While it's painted in a Russian scheme it came out of a museum in Texas that also had a Mi-24 Hind and we think they painted it to fit the theme. We believe it to be American built (SAE nuts/bolts and English writing on the landing gears and other parts.) Beyond that we have no information on it. It might be a top secret pre-osprey design mock-up or it might just be a movie prop from some b-movie no one's every seen before. Regardless, with the infinite knowledge that seems to be available here on the "G" I figured it was worth putting out here and see if anyone know anything about it. Anything info would be greatly appreciated

There are some more picture available on our website along with some pictures of the Hind if your interested

Last edited by a moderator:
The only things I can say looking at the photos is that the airframe is well done (for a B movie prop standards that we all know) and it should be costed a lot of money in doing it...

Ah...I forgot to say that the rotor's diameter seems to be insufficient to guarantee the correct amount of lift for take off and landing operations, not counting the too much far off CoP point.

Such thing is well done by a constructive point of view but not seems to belong to a real project.

jstar said:
A little background I volunteer for a museum. We just got this tilt-rotor "aircraft" in and no one knows a thing about it. It was named "Patriot".

jstar said:
We believe it to be American built (SAE nuts/bolts and English writing on the landing gears and other parts.)

There was actually a US VTOL/helicopter project called Patriot, from the American Aircraft Corp. (also known as Aerocraft)*.

The mock-up as shared by aim9xray, jstar and Mark Nankivil seems to have quite a few common features with it (see illustration below).

jstar said:
While it's painted in a Russian scheme it came out of a museum in Texas that also had a Mi-24 Hind and we think they painted it to fit the theme.

If the one in the museum is the same modified, then it's possible it was purchased after the demise of Aerocraft and used as a movie prop.

*AAC were mostly known for their Penetrator, a modified Bell UH-1.

Attachments

• American Aircraft Corp Patriot.jpg
    American Aircraft Corp Patriot.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 324
Skyblazer said:
There was actually a helicopter project called Patriot, from the American Aircraft Corp. (also known as Aerocraft)*.

The mock-up as shared by aim9xray seems to have quite a few common features with it.

If the one in the museum is the same modified, then it's possible it was purchased after the demise of Aerocraft and used as a movie prop.

*AAC were mostly known for their Penetrator, a modified Bell UH-1.

Thanks for it Skyblazer.
Even in the nice artwork (an 80's one considering its style) it is possible to see that propellers diameter are too small to be effective as helicopter rotor.

The top of the nosecone shows louvres which suggest the presence of a liftfan. That would deal with some of the center of gravity vs center of lift issues.
As for realism...

Arjen said:
The top of the nosecone shows louvres which suggest the presence of a liftfan. That would deal with some of the center of gravity vs center of lift issues.
As for realism...

You're right....

It is definitely such Patriot project:

The above PM artiche mention clearly a mockup to be sent to Dayton airshow, it should be the subject of this topic.

Arjen said:
As for realism...

You are right!

Looking more closely at the mockup - it also had a spot for a lift-fan.

Furthermore the rear gun mounting looks like the ones used on the 'Penetrator'... so, we now know who made this thing!

Its fake or real project...? Please more information

Attachments

• 13700046_10201900533832292_60412878934220269_n.jpg
    13700046_10201900533832292_60412878934220269_n.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 535
Is that suppose to be a tailgunner's bubble right there in the exhaust?

Back
Top Bottom