A plea from Forum users on dialup and slow internet (yes, they do still exist)

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been asked to request that users refrain from posting full size images in their posts where possible, and simply leave pictures attached with thumbnails at the bottom of posts. This makes viewing topics on slow internet more possible as only small thumbnails get loaded.

I think this is probably a fair request, its easy for people on fibre connections to forget others are less fortunate.

Thank you Paul.

I will add that very often the "weight" of the picture doesn't add clarity. This is particularly seen in (scanned) line drawn plans and other scanned documents. It might however cost in storage to our host.
I know that some scanners, cameras or softwares are not flexible or user friendly. What I do is re-save the first pictures at 50% quality (or size), adding -50 to the name, and compare.

Practically, you can stay well below 1 MB (1000Kb) for most of the attachments I have seen on secretprojects.
Getting close to 1 MB makes downloads difficult on dial-up; the hosting site believes you are gone and stops the transfer, which is a pity considering the quality of the information provided.

Another issue is picture clarity. It is frustrating to attempt several downloads of a large file and end up with a blurry result. I myself don't have a scanner and sometimes give up with my digital cameras.

Maybe we could help each others in this thread. On other forums I regularly have to help members produce attachments so at least we are past that step here :).

I don't have dial up, but the bandwidth on the satellite comms offshore is restricted and with 80 folk video calling their kids, things get slow, so I appreciate Paul's concern.

Chris