Robotics - General News

I navigated San Francisco in 1998 with a map and a compass a few years before I got my first GPS. I found the steep terrain and narrowness of the streets with cars parked on both sides of every street highly pucker inducing. I think it would be fatal to have to learn to drive a standard transmission car there.

Here is a very impressive demonstration of Tesla's Beta Full Self Driving capability in the complex San Francisco driving environment. A work in progress, but improving with every AI controlled mile.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjH9mHURLUA

Arms on wheels they call it. I saw that in DEMON SEED in the 70’s…a prosthetic limb on an electric wheelchair that was a Waldo.

Hope it checks to see if the stall is occupied before turning on the spigots!

(Evil Robot Brain: The Humans are most vulnerable when they are seated with their pants around their ankles....)

I mentioned this a while back, but this line caught my eye:

Velox produces around three times as much thrust per unit of energy expended as a typical small boat’s propeller can manage

Then this:

Submarines are often detected by the noise they make, much of which comes from the propeller and the shaft driving it. Undulatory propulsion, moving more water at lower speed, should be quieter than any propeller. Nor does it involve a noisy phenomenon called cavitation

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 12.54.51 PM.png

Apex predator of the Cambrian, an Anomalocarid. Some were giants at almost a metre long. Artist's impression of juvenile (foreground) and adult (background) Lyrarapax unguispinus hunt...jpg

Last edited:

Hyundai's claiming you can use telefactors/telepresence/teleoperators to pet your dog or cat remotely. Considering how essential smell is to these animals, it's likely that they'd run at maximum speed out of Uncanny Valley. However, other applications such as planetary exploration and development are far more promising. It's not a new idea of course, but the fact that a major industrial corporation wants to establish itself as a leader in the field is exciting.

Oh, and of course there's 'Meta' in there.

Last edited:
This year's BBC Reith Lectures are on the theme 'Living with AI'.

The second is 'AI in Warfare'. You can download the audio and a pdf transcript here:

Those truckers getting in the way of medical research…on a similar note, a Marin county TV listing had this to say of The Wizard of Oz: “Trapped in a surreal landscape, a farm girl kills the first person she meets and teams up with three strangers to kill again.”

View: https://youtu.be/ApzHdofI0kE

Officially revealed at the 2022 International Robot Exhibition (iREX) in Tokyo this past week, Bex is an offshoot of Kawasaki’s Kaleido program which, since 2015, has been working on developing bi-pedal humanoid robots.