Robotics - General News

"All eight teams will compete in each of the three scheduled trials. They will use the JSBSim open-source flight dynamics model for simulation environment and the open-source FlightGear Flight Simulator for the visual system. The simulated aircraft for the Trials is the publically available, unclassified FlightGear version of an F-15C fighter aircraft.

The first two trials will take place November 2019 and January 2020 near Baltimore at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, which is developing and managing the simulation air environment for the AlphaDogfight Trials. During the trials, teams will pit their AIs against DARPA-provided adversarial “Red” AIs in a series of one-versus-one dogfights. The level of difficulty will increase in the second trial.

The third and final trial will take place in two locations near Las Vegas March 2020, first at the Air Force’s innovation hub, AFWERX, and then at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. Teams will fly their AI algorithms against “Red” AIs as in the first two trials, but they’ll also compete against each other in a round-robin-style tournament. The final matchup between the top two AIs is scheduled to take place at Nellis AFB in front of a live audience of Air Force fighter pilots and the other contractor teams. The winning AI will then be matched in a simulated dogfight against a Weapons School fighter pilot while the other pilots observe and critique the live Weapons Officer in the final showdown."

Hopefully Spot mini doesn't react to poo on the street the way living dogs do.

This guy shows how you can develop algorithms cheaply by using the smallest possible hardware that still executes the necessary physical actions. I wonder if Honda/Toyota ever talk to him since his robot moves a lot more naturally than theirs.

Tesla full self driving beta release within a few weeks. Beta usually means bugs expected so anyone trying it will need to stay alert and not just start taking selfies on their cell phones. I figure if you can make autonomous cars, autonomous air taxis should be easier (no pedestrians and less traffic).

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-robotaxi-zero-intervention-self-driving-beta-release/
Tesla CEO Elon Musk stated earlier today that the latest build of FSD software would be released “in a few weeks.”

There are a lot of obstacles off ground level in urban environments.
One of my point working on it was for an inverse city development (mass access elevated instead of being at ground level or through subways).
With the present situation today, any John Doe that look to park his flying car in his backyard will have to pass many obstacles through a precision controlled descente. Those obstacles will be very difficult to track without radar.

When this thing can cook, clean, trim hedges, and punch out the neighbors barking dog, I might get one (after I win a lottery).

Spot at Chrernobyl. Pretty sure Spot doesn't have rad hardened chips so it won't be going anywhere near the Elephant's Foot.

For modellers

Attachments

• Escanear0063.jpg
    Escanear0063.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Escanear0065.jpg
    Escanear0065.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 8
  • Escanear0101.jpg
    Escanear0101.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Escanear0106.jpg
    Escanear0106.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Escanear0107.jpg
    Escanear0107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Escanear0108.jpg
    Escanear0108.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Escanear0109.jpg
    Escanear0109.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • Escanear0110.jpg
    Escanear0110.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Escanear0111.jpg
    Escanear0111.jpg
    826.4 KB · Views: 8
Well I can see from there the fantastic marketing achievement reached by a squad of hybrid bionic robots marching in formation for the public while dripping blood from their wonderful living muscle cannisters...
Good luck to get funds.

I think this pandemic has shown the importance of moving robots into health care in certain circumstances especially as I really doubt this will be the last pandemic we will see in my lifetime the way they keep brewing up these days.

I think this pandemic has shown the importance of moving robots into health care in certain circumstances especially as I really doubt this will be the last pandemic we will see in my lifetime the way they keep brewing up these days.
Healthcare has been one of the major drivers of robotics in Japan. They have an aging population with a resistance to immigration that would otherwise provide carers (exacerbated by COVID). That's a reason why they seem obsessed with 'cute' robots too - they don't want machines giving intimate care that would freak out the patients who may have dementia.