Robotics - General News

I wonder if these things could be programmed to kill rats and keep raccoons out of your garbage cans.

There's Fox/Canal+ series called War of the Worlds - not to be confused with the latest The War of the Worlds BBC production - which features malevolent Boston Dynamics-type robots. It has very little to do with the Wells novel, and since it ends on a very uninteresting cliffhanger, I presume that it's meant to be another generic survivalist fantasy series if it's renewed. To save time, you can just watch the Black Mirror episode, 'Metalhead'.

There's Fox/Canal+ series called War of the Worlds - not to be confused with the latest The War of the Worlds BBC production - which features malevolent Boston Dynamics-type robots. It has very little to do with the Wells novel, and since it ends on a very uninteresting cliffhanger, I presume that it's meant to be another generic survivalist fantasy series if it's renewed. To save time, you can just watch the Black Mirror episode, 'Metalhead'.

Philip K. Dick's "Second Variety" is pretty good too. Made into the movie, "Screamers" with Peter Weller.

When you hear that Russian field test results led them to push for more weapon autonomy, it seems essential and urgent that nations reach an agreement on land robotic weapon before it would be too late.
The set of elementary laws, like that was proposed recently in the US on that subject doesn't need any threshold in technology and can be agreed by all right now.

When you hear that Russian field test results led them to push for more weapon autonomy, it seems essential and urgent that nations reach an agreement on land robotic weapon before it would be too late.
The set of elementary laws, like that was proposed recently in the US on that subject doesn't need any threshold in technology and can be agreed by all right now.

I doubt either China or Russia would sign onto any such treaty. (Or abide by it if they did.)

Countries pride themselves on Robotics and for any regime like Russia or China being seen as a major actor and not only as a vilain could make for it especially when they try to attract cyber youth in the force.

You never know

I doubt either China or Russia would sign onto any such treaty. (Or abide by it if they did.)

And the possible results of such...

They should have had one robot using a broom to knock the box out of the hands of the other and then sweep it forwards when it tries to pick it up again.

And then the day GPS service will be hacked or down, that day when it will rain beans and sausage, Irish will fear more than Gauls that the sky falls down on their head.

Last edited:
And then the day GPS service will be hacked or down, that day when it will rain beans and sausage, Irish will fear more than Gauls that the sky falls down on their head.
I don't know, have you seen what we eat for breakfast....that might be a great day!

Rudimentary cellular robot made of biological tissue (from frog embryos).

The age of biots? Certainly echoes of 'Replicants' and 'Boomers', to name but a few.

Given that this might need a precision 3D scanning for each object it has to handle and that no grape is identical in shape to another, it's a good news for alcoholics: in that future, they are ensured to be caught snoozing on their glass of wine... Almost sober (& for real!).

Last edited: