Robotics - General News

Bob Work says it's OK to create machine intelligence designed to go out and kill people, but that it's unethical to campaign against those killer bots. A novel definition of 'unethical'.
I fail to see the 'fun' in this 'A bit of robot fun' posting. Could have been irony?

Last edited:
Bob Work says it's OK to create machine intelligence designed to go out and kill people, but that it's unethical to campaign against those killer bots. A novel definition of 'unethical'.
I fail to see the 'fun' in this 'A bit of robot fun' posting. Could have been irony?

No, he's correct. (Bob Work that is.) And "robot fun" is about all kinds of robots / ai. (There are military robots on page 1 so their appearance on page 14 should not come as a shock.)

Last edited:
In my book, the use of the Black Death as a weapon and machine intelligence designed with the express purpose of seeking and killing people are equally objectionable. I understand Bob Work's point. I Just do not think the benefits he outlines outweigh the ethical consequences.

In my book, the use of the Black Death as a weapon and machine intelligence designed with the express purpose of seeking and killing people are equally objectionable. I understand Bob Work's point. I Just do not think the benefits he outlines outweigh the ethical consequences.

Okay, you've given your opinion. Back to robots.

"All eight teams will compete in each of the three scheduled trials. They will use the JSBSim open-source flight dynamics model for simulation environment and the open-source FlightGear Flight Simulator for the visual system. The simulated aircraft for the Trials is the publically available, unclassified FlightGear version of an F-15C fighter aircraft.

The first two trials will take place November 2019 and January 2020 near Baltimore at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, which is developing and managing the simulation air environment for the AlphaDogfight Trials. During the trials, teams will pit their AIs against DARPA-provided adversarial “Red” AIs in a series of one-versus-one dogfights. The level of difficulty will increase in the second trial.

The third and final trial will take place in two locations near Las Vegas March 2020, first at the Air Force’s innovation hub, AFWERX, and then at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. Teams will fly their AI algorithms against “Red” AIs as in the first two trials, but they’ll also compete against each other in a round-robin-style tournament. The final matchup between the top two AIs is scheduled to take place at Nellis AFB in front of a live audience of Air Force fighter pilots and the other contractor teams. The winning AI will then be matched in a simulated dogfight against a Weapons School fighter pilot while the other pilots observe and critique the live Weapons Officer in the final showdown."

Should send the original T800 back to the old west where time travelling Marty McFly and Emmett “Doc” Brown have to destroy him.

Spot Mini clone by new startup "Ghost Robotics" in Philadelphia. Based on dynamic behavior, looks like they similar control algorithms.

Smaller robot with different leg design.