Robotics - General News

Milton Keynes is so often a punchline, but...

He believes that part of our affection for the robots stems from disappointment with a promised future that didn't appear. "A lot of science fiction predictions didn't work out. But the robots give us the future we were promised."

Back in Milton Keynes the robots queue up outside Moores Fish & Chips on a Friday night. Co-owner Johnny Pereira explains why this mix of traditional and hi-tech has proved a hit with his regular customers and bedded in with the locals.

"Parents like to order robot-delivered fish and chips for the family, it's popular with kids. It's definitely increased business. But I can spot when customers sitting outside are new to Milton Keynes - they stare at the robots! People who live here are used to them."

Optimus prototype
Production Model price under $20000 !

Fd89476UcAESyNN

Slashdot thread on the Optimus:

Hoping that this is not off topic.

The photo comes from the January 7th, 1963 issue of a daily newspaper, The North Bay Nugget (North Bay, Ontario).

Attachments

• The North Bay Nugget 7 January 1963 page 15.jpg
    The North Bay Nugget 7 January 1963 page 15.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 4
The following info on Sgt. Bob Electro might perhaps be of interest.

Incidentally, any additional info on this Canadian military robot would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• The Province August 12th, 1972 page 13.jpg
    The Province August 12th, 1972 page 13.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 4
  • The Leader-Post June 29th, 1983 page A 13.jpg
    The Leader-Post June 29th, 1983 page A 13.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 4
On a tangent to what the Sunday Times has nicknamed 'Optimusk Prime':

Why am I suddenly getting visions of AI rampancy here?

I do agree. But the intention at their level of popularity still will have an effect, routing for example kids, fans of Robotics, out of the lazy path of just putting a gun in the hand of an autonomous machine.