A-5 Vigilante Dump & Burn?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Folks,

The other day a colleague mentioned that he had heard of an incident where a North American A-5 Vigilante had performed a "dump&Burn" (ala the F-111's famous trick). He wasn't sure if this was intentional or accidental. I have not heard of this, but upon re-examining the Vigilante's fuel dump pipe location (see attached photo), I see that it could have been possible. Has anyone got any information they could add to this?

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• ra-5c_64_of_82.jpg
    ra-5c_64_of_82.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 525
The Viggi pilots did this quite regularly, at least here at NAS Sanford, Florida. I use to see them out over the St. Johns River flying along dragging long plumes. I think it allowed them to dump fuel and keep it from messing the water up too much. It was impressive. These were RA-5Cs.

When I was on the USS John F. Kennedy (ca. 1969-1970), it was said that an RVAH-14 Viggie had used that particular feature to discourage a Russian 'trawler' which kept ignoring nautical customs regarding right away for burdened vessels, e.g., an aircraft carrier conducting flight operations. Supposedly some slightly scorched paint was all it took to convince the trawler to return to the horizon. I can't vouch for the story being true -- I only heard it second-hand -- but if it wasn't true it certainly should have been.

Dump and burn:
8518500911_f0c509fceb_o.jpg

from the SADSM stream on flickr:
North American RA-5C Vigilante