• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

777/PW4000 Fleet Grounded by FAA

DWG

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
120 777-200s and 300s with the PW4000 grounded by FAA after Saturday's uncontained failure over Denver. Japan followed suit and South Korea says it's watching the situation.

Boeing can't seem to catch a break at the moment.

DWG

Reaction score
Turns out there were two PW4000 uncontained failures on Saturday, the second on a 747 in the Netherlands during climb out of Maastricht, with someone on the ground hit by a fragment (the 777 article has been amended to cover it as well). With the Japanese incident in December - I haven't seen it explicitly called an uncontained failure but the damage looks consistent with one - that makes three in three months.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Could well be, unfortunately. Then again, plenty of fake aviation parts still flooding the market...

DWG

Reaction score
"Initial examination of the Denver 777 engine showed that two fan blades had fractured, accorded to the US National Transportation Safety Board"

Just to deal with the speculation, fan blades will only get into the secondary market if they're from a stripped engine, and they're too complex to fake - investment castings, complex shapes, rare alloys. Has anyone even parted out a 777-200 or 300 with PW4000-112s yet? On top of which both JAL and United are going to be thoroughly embedded with their own supply chains back to Boeing.

PW4000-94s are more likely to have parts available second-hand, and small charter carriers are more likely to access the second hand market. But looking at the debris this seems to be a full blade-off incident, not some minor damage from stator blades or similar working loose.

Article in Dutch with film of the debris from the Maastricht incident . I don't have more than the odd word of Dutch, but it definitely seems to say two injured not one The blade sticking out of the car roof is impressively scary - and seems to have a clear fracture surface at the top.

TomS

Reaction score
Article in Dutch with film of the debris from the Maastricht incident . I don't have more than the odd word of Dutch, but it definitely seems to say two injured not one The blade sticking out of the car roof is impressively scary - and seems to have a clear fracture surface at the top.

From what I've read elsewhere, the two injuries in the Netherlands were one woman in her 70s hit by a piece of debris and one man burned by a piece of hot metal when they went to pick it up. Neither seem to have been very serious injuries. Very lucky that that bit of blade hit a car instead of the top of someone's head.

DWG

Reaction score