1981 UK Defence Review plans

Mike Pryce

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The National Archive (still PRO to me!) has released file PREM 19/416 regarding the infamous 1981 Defence Review. The full file can be downloaded for free via http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/december2011-files.htm

Attached are summaries contained in it of UK service operational force/fleet sizes, equipment costs and industrial effects that the changes the review proposed would have led to in the period 1981-1991. Of course, the Falklands changed things.

This is interesting additional background to some of the material I put in the P.1216 book.

Attachments

• PREM19416Services.pdf
    590.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PREM19416Costs.pdf
    532.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PREM19416Industry.pdf
    447.3 KB · Views: 15
Harrier,

Excellent find, thank you for posting, for me it will always be the PRO!

I have taken a quick flick through, nothing in depth so please feel free to critique me. It roughly marries up with why I already knew, the RN surface fleet took the brunt. with the Army and RAF escaping comparatively unscathed.

What is interesting is that as the 80s went on the RAF acquired another 2 UK based interceptor squadrons, the government stuck with the Tornado programme (cuts not coming until 1990), acquired new tanks and MICVs for the Army, initiated a second massive aircraft procurement programme in the form of what ended up as Typhoon, maintained the deterrent and largely reversed the 1981 cuts to the Navy. All in all it was substantial and sustained investment and 25 years on the UK Armed Forces are in large part still living of that investment.

Yes, the file is generally top level policy stuff with no major surprises, although I look forward to getting to see the more in-depth material on cancelled projects (e.g. AST.403 material not previously released, Sea Dart GWS.31, Type 44 etc.) next time I visit Kew.

Of interest is how the Jaguar and Phantom fleets are to be run down by 1991, yet replacing them provided the justification for what became Typhoon. The redundancies that loomed post AST.403 played a part in all that - having 'saved' Liverpool (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16366347) Heseltine saved nearby Warton when at the MoD!