1938 Leduc Thermopropulse powered Stratospheric Aircraft

The second drawing was first published already in 1938 in "La Technique Moderne"
and basically is the later Leduc 010, which construction started as soon as 1943,
but wasn't finished until 1946.

hesham said:
Hi,

from Flightglobal the Leduc early concepts for ramjet aircraft.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1942/1942%20-%200918.html?search=campini%20aircraft

First drawing is of the patent Brevet d'invention nº 779655 (2 January 1934)

Hi,

and here is from Le FANA 359,the early Leduc drawing to a project from 1937.

Attachments

• Early Leduc.JPG
    Early Leduc.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 565
Hi,

I saw on Internet from while,a twin boom early version,I don't know if it was
belonged to Leduc or not,and I couldn't find it now,can anyone help ?.

In the book René Leduc, éditions Larivière, collection Docavia, Jean Lacroze and Philippe Ricco, 2000, there is only one "bi-ramjet", not really a twin boom, most two ramjets linked by a rectangular wing. It's the Leduc 030 project. But the "fore-project" is from 1949 and the project is abandoned in 1951 (not for this part of Secretprojects).

http://aviadesign.online.fr/pages/leduc-wibault-lw055.htm (bottom of the webpage)

http://www.hitechweb.genezis.eu/naporovypohon4.htm (middle of the webpage, by a well known member of SecretProjects ;))

Thank you my dears Deltafan and Justo,

but drawing which I meant,here is painted by me like this,sorry I am not good in drawing,but
it had a twin boom,not twin fuselage ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
An article published in Flugsport 1938 n°25, appears a sketch of an aircraft called "Avion Franz", this plane was propelled by a thermopropulsion engine, a major advance for this era.the article says that this model was developed by the French Government, as it was presented at the Salon de Paris, in 1938. this is the only information available I would to know a little more, so if someone would like to contribute, I won't say no.Thanks

Attachments

• Avion Franz.jpg
    Avion Franz.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 95
An article published in Flugsport 1938 n°25, appears a sketch of an aircraft called "Avion Franz", this plane was propelled by a thermopropulsion engine, a major advance for this era.the article says that this model was developed by the French Government, as it was presented at the Salon de Paris, in 1938. this is the only information available I would to know a little more, so if someone would like to contribute, I won't say no.Thanks
"Franz. avion" means French aircraft .

A search of the BnF website reveals no reference, in any of the aviation journals in its collection, to such an aircraft being on display at the 1938 Paris Salon. However Les Ailes (12 January 1938) mentions that a model of a thermopropulser powered stratospheric aircraft, designed by René Leduc, was on display in a discrete corner of the Industrial Research stand. Could it be this which is mentioned in Flugsport? There is no illustration of it in Les Ailes but the report mentions that it (presumably not the model but the proposed full size aircraft) will have a surface of 16 mq (m2), weigh two tonnes, produce 14,000 cv and have a ceiling of 30 km.

Last edited:
"Franz. avion" means French aircraft .
Sure that it is a French plane it is mentioned government français.the name Franz sounds German.I do not know I still seek.

Les Avions Français de 1944 à 1964 (Pierre Gaillard) mentions that the construction of the Leduc O.10 commenced in 1938 but that this was interrupted by WW2. Its first free flight was not until 1949. I have to say that there are similarities between the machine illustrated in Flugsport and photographs of the Leduc O.10.

Les Avions Français de 1944 à 1964 (Pierre Gaillard) mentions that the construction of the Leduc O.10 commenced in 1938 but that this was interrupted by WW2. Its first free flight was not until 1949. I have to say that there are similarities between the machine illustrated in Flugsport and photographs of the Leduc O.10.
Franz. is not a name : it's for Französisch which is French in German

No, I did a chronological follow-up of the French advances in this field and there is no mention of Franz

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 90
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 59
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 63
flugsport pages

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 62
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 65
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 75
Thank you for the information published in Les Ailes concerning Leduc and his aircraft which is none other than the one presented at Salon de Paris .

It would appear that the Leduc O.10 had not progressed beyond the scale model stage at the time of the 1938 Paris Salon. Is it known how far construction of the full scale example had progressed by the time of the Fall of France and where it was stored thereafter? Either significant progress was made in the period 1938-40 or somehow progress surreptitiously was made subsequently under the noses of the Germans but without them becoming aware of this.

Franz. is not a name : it's for Französisch which is French in German
Thank you for the information published in Les Ailes concerning Leduc and his aircraft which is none other than the one presented at Salon de Paris .

the mystery is over

Last edited:
Because the mystery is over, the plane is identified, the error of flugsport is known, it was necessary to write franzosisches flugzeug and not Franz. For these reasons I want to close the thread unless you have other reasons to leave it open.

Threads here are closed when they descend into irrelevance, trolling, flaming etc. That hasn't happened yet. Until then, anyone who wants to contribute to the thread can do so.

Threads here are closed when they descend into irrelevance, trolling, flaming etc. That hasn't happened yet. Until then, anyone who wants to contribute to the thread can do so.
Now, I think you are totally right and if we keep the thread through the opportunities that France has missed or underestimated, from the invention of Coanda, Melot, René Lorin and so many others to Leduc. It would be wonderful

Because the mystery is over, the plane is identified, the error of flugsport is known, it was necessary to write franzosisches flugzeug and not Franz. For these reasons I want to close the thread unless you have other reasons to leave it open.
Now, I think you are totally right and if we keep the thread through the opportunities that France has missed or underestimated, from the invention of Coanda, Melot, René Lorin and so many others to Leduc. It would be wonderful

From top to bottom on the picture the second aircraft unknown to me, to identify and which French Revue? Thanks.

Attachments

• flottes.jpg
    flottes.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 84
From top to bottom on the picture the second aircraft unknown to me, to identify and which French Revue? Thanks.
The revue was the well known "Vaillant" . So far I know , the second aircraft is a "What If"

v451.jpg

Hi Klem,

I like your exiting,remember me when I just joined this great forum,if we
want to go right,we must megre those topics;

And I will send to you a SM to explain this model,OK.
Thank you, hesham sincerely, this thread started by misinterpretation of an aircraft I saw on Flugsport, but my proposal was to close it after the mystery was unveiled and following the opinions, that members enjoy its comments, your thread is closely related to Leduc on the other hand mine I proposed to the thermopropulsion in France lorin-Mélot-Coanda ... far from any thought of emulation.Thank you for all your contributions and I remain ready to contribute to your efforts without counterpart as you have observed.the sun shines for everyone.thanks

No need to close it Klem,

and I wills end t you all thing about this model,also from TU magazine,
you will find a good explanation,but the translation ?.

Attachments

• 189-01.jpg
    189-01.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 189-02.jpg
    189-02.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 189-03.jpg
    189-03.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 189-04.jpg
    189-04.jpg