$100 Million BAMS-D Navy Drone Crashes in Maryland

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
$100 Million Navy Drone Crashes in Maryland

An investigation is underway into the crash of a Navy Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Navy Drone Crashes in Maryland A highflying surveillance drone being tested by the Navy crashed Monday in eastern Maryland, the military said. The Navy said in a statement that a Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Demonstrator, or BAMS-D, unmanned aircraft went down around midday in a swampy area near Bloodsworth Island, in Dorchester County. No casualties were reported, Petty Officer Jonathan Lindberg, a Coast Guard spokesman, said. "We have a boat out there, and they are establishing a 500-yard safety zone around where it crashed," he said. The aircraft was one of five Global Hawk drones the service acquired from the Air Force to test as high-altitude maritime surveillance aircraft. The $100 million craft, which is unarmed, can carry a range of payloads, from sophisticated cameras to eavesdropping equipment

Video: http://www.military.com/video/aircraft/pilotless-aircraft/100-million-navy-drone-crashes-in-maryland/1687848374001/

Not a BAMS prototype - one of the Block 10 Global Hawks we got from the AF in order to work out CONOPS, etc. under the demonstration program.

flanker said:
Not a BAMS prototype - one of the Block 10 Global Hawks we got from the AF in order to work out CONOPS, etc. under the demonstration program.

You are mistaking the BAMS-D (former USAF Global Hawks evaluated by the Navy) with the proper BAMS (the MQ-4C Triton) which was just rolled out this week...

I am not mistaking anything. I am quoting someone:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=250777&view=findpost&p=2382599

And neither do i think he is mistaking anything.

And yet i am sure he didn't mean the "proper" BAMS that couldn't possibly crash. Obviously he means the article is wrong, no BAMS-D crashed. You are clearly nitpicking.

flanker said:
And yet i am sure he didn't mean the "proper" BAMS that couldn't possibly crash. Obviously he means the article is wrong, no BAMS-D crashed. You are clearly nitpicking.
I'm not nitpicking. I just don't understand your point and why you chose to correct me. Sorry for being thick.