Register here

Author Topic: Sea Wolf and Sea Dart: Unbuilt Derivatives and Cancelled Applications  (Read 53507 times)

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
You can download an 18MB(!) .zip file from this link that contains 9 scanned .pdf brochures and articles from the early 1980s on the Sea Wolf and Sea Dart SAMs:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GDLR1ZU9

Source:  http://p216.ezboard.com/fwarships1discussionboardsfrm3.showMessage?topicID=5021.topic&index=9

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:34:42 am by TinWing »

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
Re: Sea Wolf and Sea Dart
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:36:21 pm »
The "Lightweight" Sea Wolf system nearly came to fruition.  Although the missile was unmodified, the plan was to use a converted 4-round Sea Cat laucher without any automatic reloading facility.  The plans was to fit two 4-round launchers to the Type 42 destroyers and an astounding total of four(!) launchers to the Invincilble class carriers. 

Operational experience in the Falklands had indicated the value of having both Sea Dart and Sea Wolf in the same hull.  Unfortunately, the existing 6-cell 

The "Lightweight" Sea Wolf was cancelled in the early 1990s due to post-Cold War defense cuts.

Offline RP1

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:28:32 pm »
Thanks for posting the link.

*** Chastises self for not having done it himself ***

There are two other items related to this - one showing the GWS 27 phased array tracker for an updated SeaWolf, and the other giving some details of the SeaCat derived LWSW launcher - but I didn't have them to scan.

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline Pit

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:55:56 am »
Hey guys, can you upload the files to rapidshare?

People down here in the south have problems with megaupload :(

Thanks!

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline PMN1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:32:41 am »
Anyone here know why the initial vertical launch version was dropped and the design changed to launch from a trainable 6-cell launcher?

Offline Geoff_B

• The Scratchbuilding Demigod
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:30:50 pm »
Anyone here know why the initial vertical launch version was dropped and the design changed to launch from a trainable 6-cell launcher?

Possibly to enable direct replacement of SeaCat launchers without having create space in the hull or build on additional deckhouse.s It was afterall supposed to be a close range system to complement the main stream Sea Dart system. Trouble was the Radar, trackers and launcgers proved to be too bulky that a lighter weight system had to be developed after to allow it to fullfill its intended purpose.....

Offline PMN1

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 06:52:59 am »

Possibly to enable direct replacement of SeaCat launchers without having create space in the hull or build on additional deckhouse.s It was afterall supposed to be a close range system to complement the main stream Sea Dart system. Trouble was the Radar, trackers and launcgers proved to be too bulky that a lighter weight system had to be developed after to allow it to fullfill its intended purpose.....

Thats what I had read elsewhere as well, intrestingly I have also read that the specifications for the radar etc did not actually specify keeping weight down.....

Offline PG_69

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:52:16 am »
Does anyone have details or pictures of the proposed Sea Wolf SAM to the Invincible and Type 42 classes.

Also was the proposed 2 round launcher automatically reloaded or manually? How many missiles per launcher?

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:26 am »
Does anyone have details or pictures of the proposed Sea Wolf SAM to the Invincible and Type 42 classes.

Also was the proposed 2 round launcher automatically reloaded or manually? How many missiles per launcher?

The definitive "Lightweight" Sea Wolf VM40 involved a 4-round converted Sea Cat launcher, but it appears that it was to have been offered with either automatic or manual reloading, depending on the application.  Type 42 destroyers would have had two 4-round launchers, although it is hard to imagine where they would have fit on Batch 1 and 2 ships?

Invincible class carriers would have been fitted with a total of 4 launchers, and Jane's Defense Weekly did publish a deck plan showing the placement of the launchers and the HSA STIR directors.  Oddly, the already large island would have been extended even farther aft to accomdate a pair of STIRs, and a considerable portion of the forward flight deck would have been taken up by the forward pair of 4-round lauchers.

Offline MihoshiK

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 09:17:33 am »

I've got some pdf's *somewhere* on my HD, but I'll have to look. What I DO have right now is a drawing of how a T42 with Seawolf would have looked like:

And this is for the various containerized versions of Seawolf:

In both of these drawings two pixels equal one foot. The containers were to have been based on the standard international shipping container, and the two-round launcher had another two rounds below deck at the ready for reload. IIIRC after that the rounds had to be manually placed into the reloading positions.

Offline M. A. Rozon

Re: Sea Wolf and Sea Dart: Unbuilt Derivatives and Cancelled Applications
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 06:32:53 pm »
First of all, first post for me after joining the board. As always, I start by asking questions!   :o

First, for Mihoshik, great rendition of the Type 42 with Seawolf (Good work, as always!). It matches the impression I always got whenever I read what little I could get my hands on. I am wondering if internal space issues might require some kind of small superstructure block between the Seawolf directors for related equipment and perhaps to prevent EMI between the directors.

Second, for TinWing and others, is it possible to get a copy of that LD for the Invincible with the Seawolf setup you saw in Jane's somewhere?

Thirdly, for Overscan, the rapidshare post mentioned earlier in this thread isn't there. Is it possible to obtain those brochures and info on Sea Wolf/ Sea Dart?

Thanks to all in advance. Looking forward to further participation.

Regards.

8)

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 02:21:11 pm »
At long last, here is photographic proof that the definitive "Lightweight" Sea Wolf proposal involved a 4-round launcher and got as far as firing trials before cancellation. 

The picture is from a book on the Falklands, although this system was cancelled far later during under the Major government.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:43:34 pm by TinWing »

Offline smurf

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 01:48:08 am »
Are you sure that is a photograph?

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:56 am »
Are you sure that is a photograph?