Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
ProjectTech Profiles / Re: BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL fighter
« Last post by red admiral on November 01, 2017, 01:26:41 pm »
P.1216 was UK only with some (most?) funding from Industry. P.1230 was shared with the US as an advanced stovl configuration. Both are described in the book.

And DARPA and the US were looking for new ways to do ASTOVL as research, not necessarily what would work... and mature into a low risk procurement programme...

But as soon as you add in LO requirements  and CTOL and CV versions, the P.1216 configuration doesn't really hold together. A different direct lift + pcb configuration might be ok. Or lift+lift/cruise...
ProjectTech Profiles / Re: BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL fighter
« Last post by Archibald on November 01, 2017, 03:57:35 am »
I have one question. Can somebody tell me if the following link is a valuable source ? I'm puzzled by the fact that DARPA did not considered the P.1216 for ASTOVL before Lockheed's and Bevilaqua stepped in with the lift fan concept in 1987.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/astovl.htm

Does the book have information on this specific subject ?
Cheers. Would like to get a chance to write another one day. Added you to forum section access group :)
Thanks for writing this Paul, I've just been having another read through after the RAeS 1957 conference last week. The Industry and design team stuff is really interesting to compare with where we are today - some things haven't changed.
ProjectTech Profiles / Re: The Admiralty and the Helicopter
« Last post by Hood on August 27, 2017, 02:23:46 am »
The book does indeed mention the V-22 but it is not covered in-depth, partly because I'm concentrating on helicopters rather than VTOL aircraft (the distinction being the latter have some form of wing) and also because I don't think it has ever really been considered seriously. Even the talk of HV-22s for the new carriers seems unlikely given the Fleet Air Arm has not possessed any aircraft not flown by at least one of the other services for many years and a tiny fleet would be very expensive for what is a minor role. Even in the days of the strike carrier fleet COD was handled by a couple of stripped-out Gannets. 

I believe Chris may have covered the AEW variants of V-22 in his Admiralty and AEW ProjectTech Profile.
« Last post by elmayerle on August 26, 2017, 07:23:33 pm »
Any chance of this book discussing the RN's consideration, if any, of the V-22 in any of its variants?
well, the mail to Siberia must be quicker than I thought.

Hope you like them.

Chris
Decided to have a little splurge this afternoon. If you could add me that would be most appreciated, thanks. :)
« Last post by Geoff_B on June 06, 2017, 01:51:47 am »
So James (Hood) will you be joining us at Scale Model World in November when Chris launches the book, you'll be able to meet the Project Cancelled crew and we should have one or two suitable models to display along side the book and other books of interest within the Project Cancelled realm.
« Last post by phil gollin on June 05, 2017, 03:44:01 am »

I am really looking forward to the book (I  ASSUME  that there will be another book entitled "The Army and the Helicopter" eventually - mostly filled with empty space).

Did you find out anything on the wartime tests of the hoverfly other than the basics ?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]