Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Alternative History and Future Speculation / Re: RN with F8 instead of F4
« Last post by zen on Today at 01:07:36 am »
I think an important aspect to remember is that the RN were very aware of the fact of how obsolescent the Sea Vixen was by the time it entered service.
They wanted the F4 with its advanced radar, Sparrows etc. and did not want to get stuck with another "old" sub-optimal interim aircraft.
And the blunt truth is that the F4 was significantly more advanced than the F8 and was also wanted by and bought for the RAF (who had no interest in the F8).
Apart from being the superior fleet defender the F4 was also so much easier to land on a carrier.
The decision to go for the F4 was also made in the expectation of operating from the follow-on UK aircraft carriers that were subsequently cancelled.
In the actual context of when the decision was made the F4 was a more logical choice.
While I appreciate the F8 as a fine aircraft and how one can be an enthusiast for a particular aircraft I think emotion may be clouding the arguments of some contributors.

So the first point here is if you want to discuss history, you're posting in the wrong section.
Second I agree that the F4 made enormous sense after the '63 Airdisplay by the Soviets showing their new large anti-ship missiles.
Hence not investing in what were thought more modern and superior aircraft to either F8 and the sainted F4.
Time had become critical and the F4 had enough future potential to put back the effort for wonder weapons.

Thirdly
It's actually the other way around as the FAA pushed for the F4 while the RAF stuck with the P1154 'Harrier' until '65.
Even then they afterwards tasked only 72 for MRI until the cheaper to operate Jaguar came into service.
FAA got stuck with the P1154 for the sake of commonality in imitation of the then US TFX concept.
It's not what they originally wanted which was OR.346, think TSR.2 navalised. .....

Fourthly
The context of any decision for the F8 is either:-
A less ambitious CV force. Such as focused on ASW with more limited fighter and offenaive systems.

Or that the F8 might be quicker to service.
Theoretical and Speculative Projects / Re: X-Ray Bomb?
« Last post by Ravinoff on Yesterday at 10:50:21 pm »
Isn't a Neutron bomb could do the same effect? Though there are radioactivity after it, but it should dissipate in a short time (say in a week) if I'm not mistaken.

Not exactly, a neutron bomb (which is still a nuke, just with more of the yield being radiation) generates neutron radiation, which among other things transmutes atoms by neutron capture, turning stable isotopes radioactive. Which is to say that inert things start emitting radiation of their own (as opposed to just having fallout particles or whatnot on them) when exposed to enough neutron flux. By the sound of it, the idea of this x-ray bomb is to flash-fry sensitive things without firing off a nuke or something equally messy and dispersing hazardous materials everywhere.

I see!
So something like a EMP bomb? Or the EMP effect of a Atmospheric/Stratospheric Nuclear blast but without the radiation hazard?

Not quite, it's still generating a lot of ionizing radiation, but without the residual contamination (fallout and neutron-activated radionucleotides) a conventional nuclear weapon would have. Think about the difference between a medical X-ray machine and a cobalt-60 radiotherapy unit: both generate radiation, but the X-ray machine is completely inert when not operational whereas cobalt-60 is notoriously unpleasant and has to be kept in a lead-lined case. That's because cobalt-60 undergoes radioactive decay and constantly emits radiation, while an X-ray machine just uses a supercharged cathode ray tube to generate photons in the same basic way as a tube TV screen. One's a flashbulb, the other is a hot coal.

And just to make things even more confusing, there WAS a program to use X-rays generated by nuclear bombs as a weapon too, under Reagan's "Star Wars"/Strategic Defense Initiative plan. Called Project Excalibur, the idea was to surround a nuclear bomb with a bunch of focusing tubes to (via sorcerous high-energy physics still classified) concentrate the hard X-ray flash of a nuke into aimable X-ray laser beams. Those beams would be pointed at incoming ICBM warheads to vaporize them without needing a direct intercept like BRILLIANT PEBBLES or an exoatmospheric kill vehicle does.

Macchi C.205N-1 2017 Tooling, Currently Available

Macchi C.205N-2 2016 Tooling, SOLD OUT  :( Likely will be back on market at some point in future.

Cunarmodel CM7216 Macchi C.207 Currently Available - but for how long?

Nobody yet has marketed the Macchi C.206, asked SEM Model aren't interested :( if THAT one were there would be scale models of the entire pre & WWII Macchi C.200, 202, 205, 206, 207 line.
User Artwork / Re: Motocar's Cutaway drawings
« Last post by Deltafan on Yesterday at 02:59:17 pm »
Complement cutaway Dassault Mirage IIIC Naval
A very pretty one ;)
« Last post by kaiserd on Yesterday at 11:51:34 am »
I think an important aspect to remember is that the RN were very aware of the fact of how obsolescent the Sea Vixen was by the time it entered service.
They wanted the F4 with its advanced radar, Sparrows etc. and did not want to get stuck with another "old" sub-optimal interim aircraft.
And the blunt truth is that the F4 was significantly more advanced than the F8 and was also wanted by and bought for the RAF (who had no interest in the F8).
Apart from being the superior fleet defender the F4 was also so much easier to land on a carrier.
The decision to go for the F4 was also made in the expectation of operating from the follow-on UK aircraft carriers that were subsequently cancelled.
In the actual context of when the decision was made the F4 was a more logical choice.
While I appreciate the F8 as a fine aircraft and how one can be an enthusiast for a particular aircraft I think emotion may be clouding the arguments of some contributors.

User Artwork / Re: Motocar's Cutaway drawings
« Last post by Motocar on Yesterday at 11:24:05 am »
Complement cutaway Dassault Mirage IIIC Naval

« Last post by zen on Yesterday at 09:14:18 am »
Let's pile in the projected cost.....0.5million
Compared to the F4 at 1.2 million
And the P1154 at 1.5 million

So you could have 2 F8 for the price of one F4.

However I'll say that it seems a far easier task to fit the Spey in the F8 than the F4 so I would not expect a near tripling of the cost. But even if it did it's only going to be 1.5 million. ..... or still about half the real cost per plane of the Spey f4
Designation Systems / Re: Rumpler Flugzeug-Werke G.m.b.H.
« Last post by hesham on Yesterday at 08:46:27 am »
From Le Fana 276.
Marc Cameron, Tom Clancy's Power and Empire, 2017

United States

USS Rogue (PC-??)
Cyclone Class Patrol Boat
Details as per the real ships.

RV Meriwether
Oceanographic 'research' ship (eg Spy Ship)
Converted trawler
Length: 89ft (27.1m)
Diesel powered.
Fitted with a towed sonar array.
Fitted out for ELINT.
Note: Cover is that of a fisheries research vessel for the University of Hawaii, actually controlled by the US Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) 

China (People's Republic)

Kunming (DDG-172)
Type 052D Class Destroyer
Real ship, details as in service.

Republic of China (Taiwan)

Coast Guard

Taitung (CG-133)
1,000-ton Class Cutter
Real ship, details as in service.

Plot summary: A series of terrorist attacks around the world leave trails pointing at the leader of China, but is he really responsible?

Note: Like the previous novel, this is a publishers attempt to keep a well known name alive after the author has died with a series built around a Presidents-eyes-only covert ops team. The major difference is that this series is based around the characters Clancy created in his novels rather than entirely new characters as in the Ludlum series. The writer handles Clancy's characters well and created an effective plotline. However there is no specific dating information provided so the 'Day After Tomorrow' rule applies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10