Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Mirage 4000
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:38:40 pm »
How hard would it have been to make the beast supercruise?

I'd say it would definitely have potential in the lower end of supercruise. Engine is mostly optimised for high speeds, and is more of a leaky turbojet than a turbofan. Apparently a clean Mirage 2000 can just make it over Mach 1.0 in dry thrust. I'd say Mach 1.2 is the minimum to be able to claim useful "supercruise". Would probably require improved dry thrust from the M53?
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:30:33 pm »
and last
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:28:43 pm »
more
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:27:12 pm »
more
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:25:42 pm »
More
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:23:17 pm »
more
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:21:54 pm »
more
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Today at 12:18:14 pm »
resized and attached:
Space Projects / Re: SpaceIL (Israel)
« Last post by Richard N on Today at 11:03:05 am »
The complex mission profile of Beresheet on its journey from the Earth to the Moon.

Army Projects / Re: DIVAD Proposals
« Last post by Sea Skimmer2 on Today at 10:40:57 am »
Still can't believe the the US Army still haven't fielded an adiquite/meaniful SPAAG since the demise of the DIVADS program....Yes I know the Cold War has ended.....Yes I know the Pentagon realise on taking and retaining air supremacy of the battlefield via fighter aircraft and air interdiction.....but still IMO a real and serious capability short fall IMO.

I read it in a copy of field artillery magazine from 1987 or so that the feeling largely became that because a heavy division had 300 x Bushmaster cannon on Bradley vehicles, all able to elevate 60 degrees, and the main value of a gun was hitting aircraft that appeared too physically close to use a missile the actual need for a SPAAG was pretty low. The need for a missile long ranged and fast enough to counter a helicopter firing ATGMs was however high, but DIVAD was cancelled in part because it could not do this.

I'm aware of two different exotic projectiles intended to improve that equation. One was a simple rocket assisted projectile, another was a solid fuel ramjet projectile that could maintain the 40mm muzzle velocity to 3km range and was apparently test fired a fair bit. Both would help, but they still could not actually counter a helicopter at 6km as was expected from a Mi-24 with AT-6 missiles. And nor could Stinger, though it was proposed to place stinger on DIVAD late in the game. Starstreak could, having been designed from the ground up to do so, and that's what led to Starstreak being tested on Apache and the Avenger into the 1990s.

Basically DIVAD had been rendered moot by technological advances in the likely threat. You needed a much bigger gun to have both the firing range and a useful time of flight to that range, which turns into the Otomatic. Nobody ever bought Otomatic.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10