Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: France and Germany to develop new european fighter jet
« Last post by Deltafan on Today at 12:27:50 pm »
And I thought they had copied the German Horten Ho 229 because there was no horizontal or vertical fin ::) ;)

The Bar / Re: San Amerigo - my fictional state
« Last post by pometablava on Today at 12:24:41 pm »
Partido Obrejo Unidario Marxista

Partido Obrero Unitario Marxista

Unitarian Marxist Workers Party
« Last post by Harrier on Today at 11:59:10 am »
I think they just copied the Fairey Delta again, what with the 'uppy-over' intakes  :o ;D
« Last post by Deltafan on Today at 10:52:15 am »
« Last post by Trident on Today at 10:47:52 am »
Intake splitters, not DSI, notable.

Seems a bit 80s to me - angular, intake under LERX for high AoA (and so no DSI?).

Galgot's rebuke is a bit harsh, but while DSI certainly is an elegant solution it does (as you say) have to integrate well with the rest of your configuration, so it's not a universally suitable choice.

The whole model is so devoid of details that one wonders how accurate even the basic things like dimensions of wings/engines/intakes/cockpit are, compared to the rest of the plane. Basically, it seems very, very pointless to even discuss such a model in detail. Aside from discussions of general planform choice, no-tails choice, number of engines choice etc.

Could be a wind tunnel model?

edit: @JeffTracy, yes wing twist :)

Yup, it's caused by the conical camber of the wing bending the tip of the far side wing out of sight in some photos.
Military / Re: F-22s may have been lost as a result of Hurricane Michael
« Last post by Jeb on Today at 09:48:14 am »
Idiotic!!!
Billions lost because they couldn't be loaded on a flatbed and trucked out of state??

Someone's ass should be fired. They knew perfectly well how serious the storm was.

Should have been trucked out of the area

An F-22 is 13 meters wide and 5 meters high. Moving something that big is a major operation that needs far more than 2 days of preparation: many roads don't have more than 5 meters clearance across and ~4.5 m in height.
Disassembling the aircraft to a road-transportable state could also easily take more than 2 days.
I've seen an entire house moved on interstate highways on more than a few occasions with the very large flatbeds and a few white trucks with yellow hazard lights.

yes, with 3 months of planning to find a clear route and prepare the places where a clear route can't be found (by temporarily removing traffic lights, signs and other obstructions).

Not to mention that there was a general evacuation of civilians from the area so it's not like you could just throw a line of oversize flatbeds down the ol' highway without any interruption.
The Bar / Re: San Amerigo - my fictional state
« Last post by Archibald on Today at 08:45:50 am »
No, it is extremists of both sides I hate. Stalin or Hitler, or carbon copies of them... no good for any country or people. Plus I like play-on-words, even bad ones.  In the spanish civil war was some kind of anarchist group called the POUM - Partido Obrejo Unidario Marxista (or something like that). The funny thing is that POUM is french slang for... KABOOM. Not bad for anarchists, who are rather fond of dynamite and C4.   ;D

Can't remember if Hawker Hunters ever fought against F-86s ?

Plus I like latino music (except for Shakira, may you roast in hell).

Imagine this one as national anthem !
« Last post by Deltafan on Today at 08:23:14 am »
It is unfortunate that the NGF photo next to the nEUROn taking off is not taken closer, to better see if the engines are equipped with the TVC :-\

Edit : Is there not a little fin under the rear of each engine ? ???
« Last post by SteveO on Today at 08:03:33 am »
Or it could be a morphing wing. Which would be very interesting indeed.
That would explain the silver "Flight of the Navigator" ship look to the model  ;)

Nice shape anyway!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10