Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: USAF plans F-15 modernization
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 06:50:32 am »
But that's a component cost, not a raw material cost.

Commercially pure Ti is running around $25 a pound these days.  Aviation-specific alloys could easily be significantly more, especially with the DoD traceability/accountability requirements.  I don't know specific pricing, but $100 per pound doesn't seem impossible.

About a year ago I bought some 0.24" 6AL4V stock for testing.  No certs.  Came to about $46/lb.  It was a relatively low quantity but it was from a remnant shop.
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 06:36:41 am »

Whoops.  Fair enough.  Carbon fiber isn't exactly cheap either though.  (Nor is the core that goes with it.)
« Last post by TomS on Today at 06:23:01 am »

Commercially pure Ti is running around $25 a pound these days.  Aviation-specific alloys could easily be significantly more, especially with the DoD traceability/accountability requirements.  I don't know specific pricing, but $100 per pound doesn't seem impossible.

« Last post by LowObservable on Today at 06:20:40 am »
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 05:25:47 am »
FWIW, remember that Ti has to be at $100/lb to make a $5m difference to unit cost, if M2048's numbers are accurate.

I'd think a 10lb titanium forging would easily bust $1000. 
« Last post by LowObservable on Today at 04:09:40 am »
FWIW, remember that Ti has to be at $100/lb to make a $5m difference to unit cost, if M2048's numbers are accurate.
Aerospace / Re: N400 Swift Scaled Composites
« Last post by ivran on Today at 03:22:07 am »
Any 3 view, N400 vs TF-5 Talon
Military / Re: France starts work on Hypersonic glider "VMAX"
« Last post by stealthflanker on Today at 03:00:29 am »
Interesting, looking forward for its future.

AFAIK, French maintained tight relationship with Russia and German in this field, given that their hypersonic demonstrators seems mostly flown with Russian Hardware like Kh-22 based booster and Tu-22M3 bomber.

Given today's situation tho, i would expect they will come up with their own booster.
« Last post by SpudmanWP on Yesterday at 09:16:19 pm »
Any modern fighter with the right industrial base can do it.  Look at the photo in post 934 above.  Note that little needs to be removed in relation to the old way of milling from a solid block.

As technology gets better then the size of the forging walls will get smaller & smaller (ie a better buy-to-fly ratio).

Damn, LN cooled CNC

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10