Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
User Artwork / Re: HamzaLippischh's Aviation artwork
« Last post by Hamzalippischh on Yesterday at 01:59:38 pm »
Ever wondered what would result from arbitrarily applying a "stealth filter" to a classic fighter configuration ?

I did, so i doodled this thingy that i know makes little aerodynamic sense. Is it worth some texturing love? what do you guys think?
User Artwork / Re: 1970 Projektstudie Flugpanzer
« Last post by Hamzalippischh on Yesterday at 01:54:02 pm »
Crazy stuff, the sort of things i like.

Planning to texture it ?
Alternative History and Future Speculation / Re: Fictional Warships - Novels
« Last post by Graham1973 on December 12, 2017, 10:55:23 pm »
Brian Callison, Ferry Down: A Voyage to Disaster, 1998

United States (WWII)

USS Thompson (DD-???)
Fletcher Class Destroyer?
Details as per the real ships.
Note: This appears in the backstory of one of the novels characters, who survived the sinking of this ship during the Battle of Leyte Gulf (1944), the description of the sinking matches details of the description of the USS Johnston (DD-557) a member of the Fletcher Class of Destroyers. The reason for using a fictional name in this case is to allow the setting up of a revenge based subplot involving former members of the crew over actions dating back to the sinking.

Germany

Vorderst
Warship, class/type not specified.
No other details provided.

Plot summary: A fictionalized version of the 1990 MS Scandanavian Star disaster.

Note: In this novel, the author uses a technique similar to that he used in 'The Dawn Attack', contrasting the bland wording of an official report (In this case the official report into the MS Scandanavian Star fire.) with the harrowing reality of the events those words describe.
User Artwork / Re: Motocar's Cutaway drawings
« Last post by Motocar on December 12, 2017, 03:39:11 pm »
Cutaway Curtiss R2 Wireless. work in progress....! Author Motocar

Fishbed is a real word. "A sedimentary stratum rich in fossil remains of fish" is what Merriam-Webster makes of it, I've seen it pop up in paleobiology.

What bothers me more: what is the use of these reporting names now that we have the makers'/users' designations?
Alternative History and Future Speculation / Re: Fictional Warships - Novels
« Last post by Graham1973 on December 12, 2017, 02:35:38 am »
One more in the long line of "Self-published on Amazon" novels...

Thomas D. Wilson, Whisper, 2010

United States (1800)

USS Insurgent (ex-Insurgente)
Sémillante Class Sailing Frigate
Real ship, details as in service.
Note: French warship, captured by the USS Constellation during the 1799-1800 Quasi-War with France.

United States (2010)

USS Whisper (CG-86)
Cruiser, class not specified
Nuclear powered, fitted with a "...twin cooled (cored?) nuclear reactor..."
Armament: Gun/Missile (Only specific weapon mentioned is the RIM-67 missile, also stated that depth charges (A very obsolete weapon by the 2000s.) were to form part of the armament but not equipped.)
Speed: 38 knots (+)
Authors description: "She was big, sleek and beautiful. She had lines more reminiscent of the old World War II cruisers."
Has been painted in World War I/II era 'Dazzle paint' camoflage rather than standard US Navy Grey.
Fitted with a invisibility device called a 'Phase Shifter' which works by placing the ship slightly out-of-sync with normal space/time.
Note: Correct pennant number should be CGN-86.

USS Essex
Warship, possibly a cruiser, type not specified
Speed: 38 knots (+), slightly slower than USS Whisper (CG-86)

USS Hopper (DDG-???)
Destroyer, class not specified

USS Wasp (FFG-???)
'Missile Frigate', class not specified
No other details provided

USS Dark Horse
Covert operations craft
Stealth design
Can submerge. Rated Maximum Operating depth: 150ft (46m)

USS Poseidon
Submersible Aircraft Carrier
Armament includes ICBMs/Aircraft/Torpedoes?

Germany (1944)

Unnamed
Several U-Boats

Plot summary: A test of a radical form of stealth device goes badly wrong.

Note: This is not the best of stories and feels like it could have done with more editing and fact checking. The Author includes an account of what is clearly the WWI 'Paris Gun' but mistakenly attributes it to WWII. He also at one point has a character mention a specific Wikipedia page and and then quotes the entire page, in a situation where a quick summary would have been more effective.  The novel was apparently intended as the first in a series, but the other novels (Save a sample chapter from the second book.) have not appeared yet. This, like the preceding short story ('The Displaced'), is inspired by the tale of the Philadelphia Experiment, other books I have covered in this thread which draw inspiration from it include 'Thin Air' (1977), 'Thunderfish' (1999) and 'Deadly Apparition' (2014)
User Artwork / Re: Motocar's Cutaway drawings
« Last post by Motocar on December 11, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »
Quick retouch to recreate the so-called Yakovlev Yak-110,  (without any relation with the Russian firm) a creation by modification and union of two Yak-55 to make a twin fuselage, author drawing unknow and modified by Motocar

Firedrake beats out Fishbed in being a real word - another term for a dragon, so actually a pretty good name for a fighter. But I still think it's overwhelming lying likely to be a Deviantart artist picking a name he thinks is cool.
That's dafter than Fishbed.

Chris
I'm not sure I'd consider Deviantart an authoritative source.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10