Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: Supply of RD-180 rocket engines to the US to be cut off?
« Last post by TomS on Today at 07:51:05 am »
Sounds like AR1 is functionally dead except as a pork-barrel project.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/financial-document-reveals-vulcan-rocket-engine-competition-is-over/

The latest financial release from aerospace manufacturer Aerojet Rocketdyne reveals that the company spent none of its own money on development of the AR1 rocket engine this spring. Moreover, the quarterly 10-Q filing that covers financial data through June 30, 2018 indicates that Aerojet may permanently stop funding the engine with its own money altogether—a sign the company has no immediate customers.

Although Aerojet will continue to receive some funding from the US military through next year to develop its large, new rocket engine, this money won't be enough to bring it to completion. Instead of having a flight-ready engine for use by the end of 2019, the filing indicates that Aerojet now intends to have just a single prototype completed within the time frame.
Good find! I´ve never seen a Me 262 "Langrumpf" (long fuselage)
Military / Re: Solid State Laser News
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 06:59:18 am »
https://www.army.mil/standto/archive_2018-09-19/?s_cid=standto

USASMDC/ARSTRAT currently has four directed energy efforts underway:

High Energy Laser Mobile Test Truck (HELMTT) - a 50 kilowatts (kW) class laser system integrated in a Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT)

High Energy Laser Tactical Vehicle Demonstrator (HELTVD) - an effort to integrate a 100 kW class laser system on a Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV)

Mobile Experimental High Energy Laser (MEHEL) - a Stryker-based 5 kW class laser system developed to inform requirements for future laser weapon systems and to support tactics, techniques, procedures and concept of operations development for high-energy laser weapons.

Multi-Mission High Energy Laser (MMHEL) - an effort to develop a Stryker-based 50 kW class laser demonstrator for a Maneuver-Short Range Air Defense (M-SHORAD) solution. This will be a dedicated air defense system that can maneuver with brigade combat teams (BCTs) while providing air defense and fire support.
Army Projects / Re: South African prototypes, projects, concepts, etc.
« Last post by 61mech on Today at 06:53:02 am »
Looka like a Olifant.
Missile Projects / Re: US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 06:47:41 am »
SECNAV sees 'seamless' cross-service hypersonic development; MOA assigns Navy roles

The Navy's top official said the department-wide effort to develop and field hypersonic boost glide weapons is "seamless," a claim made during a recent visit to Alabama with Army officials responsible for the nation's first successful Advanced Hypersonic Weapon test in 2011.
Military / Re: Nuclear Weapons NEWS ONLY
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 06:41:18 am »
From Inside Defense (pay site)
Pentagon official says U.S needs to 'revitalize' nuclear weapons production

The Pentagon needs to send the Energy Department a "steady-state" demand signal for nuclear warheads production and "revitalize" it similar to how the military has readied the missile, submarine, aircraft and weapons manufacturers industrial bases, respectively, for the U.S. nuclear recapitalization effort, according to a Defense Department official.

• Amiot  L'aventure Amiot-CMN – Des hommes, le ciel et la mer, by Frédéric Patard, Éd. des Champs, 1998, ISBN 2910138097
    Not seen, also covers boats and other industrial activities, not sure if interesting, information welcome.

Has anyone this book ?,if someone get it and can scan and send it to me,I am ready to make
exchange with 20 books he needs.
Naval Projects / Re: Swimmer Delivery Vehicle projects, old and new
« Last post by fredymac on Today at 05:39:26 am »
Many thanks for those lekker (nice) AHRLAC/Mwari pics sa_bushwar!

They removed the nose cover for a short while while it was on static display and I managed to take a few pics - most interesting to see the two Leonardo Osprey 30 AESA Radar Antenna in the front! I assume this is according to the spec from one of the two clients who have ordered the armed Mwari version..?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10