Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: Sukhoi/HAL PMI/FGFA
« Last post by Blitzo on Today at 01:39:29 pm »
Just found the Flightglobal link on the reopened competition.
For 110 fighters (82 single-seat and 28 two-seat) with all but 16-17 built in India. Expected contenders are; Boeing F/A-18E/F Block III, Dassault Rafale F3R, Eurofighter Typhoon, Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 70, United Aircraft Corp MiG-35 and Saab Gripen E.

This would seemingly confirm a step down from a 'sixth generation' type.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/india-re-opens-competition-to-supply-110-fighters-447392/

?? When was there ever any indication that the IAF was interested in a sixth generation aircraft in the immediate future??
FORUM INDEX / Re: COMPANY: Vought (Chance Vought, LTV)
« Last post by Pioneer on Today at 01:09:03 pm »
V-464

1963 Amphibian XC-142A ASW tilt-wing transport planning study

Re reading this post, and can't help wonder what this ASW variant of the XC-142 would look like? Has you found anything in the archives Mark Nankivil?

Regards
Pioneet
I hope it was quick.

It could hardly have been otherwise. Fortunately.
The other books by Hervé Beaumont look also very interesting!! B) I should order "Avions nucléaires français" (but 58 Euros....)
The Bar / Re: Southwest airlines #1380 30,000 ft. fan blade failure
« Last post by mrmalaya on Today at 11:41:42 am »
No disrespect intended, but the fuselage behind the failed window is not a pretty sight. I hope it was quick.
Military / Re: Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook
« Last post by Mark S. on Today at 09:50:21 am »
Would assume one of the design requirements of the new cruiser is that it has to keep up with the carriers.  So that makes it a 35 knot ship.  It would be too expensive and take too long to design a new nuclear reactor and test it to power the vessel.   Additionally the hull shape needs to be efficient at higher speeds to minimize  use of the power plant for propulsion and maximize it for radars and weapons.  The requirements point to a Zumwalt hull with a conventional power plant.  The outliers would be a scaled up Burke hull with conventional power or maybe a America hull with a single reactor from the Ford class.  The America solution only if the hull was designed for high speed and that it could be cut down to the level of the hangar deck without a reduction in strength.  A vessel that size would have a huge growth potential. 
User Artwork / Re: Motocar's Cutaway drawings
« Last post by Motocar on Today at 09:38:00 am »
I would like to locate more information about this Aurora 400 VTOL project and Phalanx Dragon for LHX, you can share it here or in the subject if it exists.

Thanks, Motocar
Military / Re: Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 09:02:41 am »
Why would a BMD cruiser built on a San Antonio hull be so expensive as to be impractical, and, to what dollar amount does "so expensive" equates?

It would require an almost complete redesign.  Most of the deck space is unusable for VLS or guns because there's a hangar beneath it.  It's too slow.  It's less maneuverable and has a larger RCS than the Zumwalt.   It's $2 billion as is and it's mostly a hollow tin can.  As for dollar amount it's "whatever is too high to afford 20- 30 of them". 
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Focke Wulf Fw 191
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:00:03 am »
From the brochure.

Wow,very nice my dear Dan.
Military / Re: Semi-automatic or fully-automatic recoiless guns
« Last post by LVisingr on Today at 07:49:45 am »
Armoured Unimog with 80 cm Zwillings-Raketenautomat Oerlikon:

https://shushpanzer-ru.livejournal.com/2839457.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10