Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Continued...

Small printed corrections yesterday, and a new "big" part: the Bacchus inter-stage skirt.
This truncated cone was but a challenge for me, as that kind of thin part (.4mm thick) is a nightmare for most printers.
I spent more than an hour placing correctly the numerous temporary supports to get a printing without deformation and Yipikaď!, it turned very fine.
Tomorrow I'll have my last printing session on this project with the huge stage tanks.

_Bruno

Designation Systems / Re: Ryan aircraft
« Last post by Boxman on Yesterday at 08:10:57 pm »
Here is a photo of the LOTOP Project Ryan Model 109-G at the San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) Flickr site:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/34288352205/

"LOTOP" is sparringly described in the abstract for "Preliminary Criteria & Loads Analysis: Phase I, LOTOP Project-- Ryan Model 109," authored by Hood, A.E., Sandia National Labs (OSTI Identifier:10151210; Report Nos. SC-DC-66-1917X; ALSNL199700000757; ON: DE98056532; CNN: AT-(29-1)-789):
The Phase I Design Study for the Sandia Corporation resulted in a configuration of an external store delivery system designated as the Ryan Model 109-G. The latter is a low altitude external store capable of performing a loop-type trajectory.
https://www.osti.gov/biblio/10151210
Modelling Forum / Re: France unbuilt space launchers of the 60's and 70's
« Last post by Michel Van on Yesterday at 12:49:07 pm »
If you ever heard of France Fights On, I'm really tempted to include Supervulcain B in their universe...

that Alternate History story were in June 1940 France moved its government and armies to Algiers and continue the War against germany
more here
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/france-fights-on.337031/
« Last post by Archibald on Yesterday at 11:07:00 am »
I always liked SuperVulcain B because it is really the largest Diamant derivative and the real funny thing was, it was an Europa III or Ariane 1 class launcher.  It would be really awesome to get Supervulcain, Europa and Ariane 1 side by side on a shelf.

Also, SuperVulcain was just big enough, it could have orbited a Gemini or a truncated Soyuz (minus the forward, orbital module - that is, a Zond, albeit not a cislunar one)

If you ever heard of France Fights On, I'm really tempted to include Supervulcain B in their universe...
Hi All

SSC-3 missile have temporary designation BALAKLAVA-01
Mayby you know the short designations for BALAKLAVA
« Last post by bgire on Yesterday at 05:22:35 am »
Yesterday I started printing the small parts for Super Vulcain B.

Some parts (left of the ruler) will be replaced by photo etched ones which will be easier to handle, but the overall rendering is excellent.
Tomorrow I'll print the tanks.
_Bruno

« Last post by Archibald on April 17, 2018, 09:59:39 pm »
I've stopped modelling a while back, but this is sooo tempting... my hands are itching...
Alternative History and Future Speculation / Re: Fictional Warships - Novels
« Last post by Graham1973 on April 17, 2018, 08:47:05 pm »
Alison Bruce, Ghost Writer, 2017

Canada

HMCS Nottawasaga (FFH-???)
Halifax Class Frigate
Details as per the real ships

United States (1960's)

Arctic Station Alpha
Nuclear powered SeaLab (First stage of a planned USN underwater Arctic base.)
Crew: 8
Armament: Small arms for the crew, unspecified number of 21 inch TT (Only one torpedo room.)
Described as being "...the size of the Goodyear blimp."

United States (2017)

USS Scranton (SSN-756)
Los Angeles class
Real ship, details as in service.
Note: Described as a 'tactical sub' in the novel.

Plot: The year is 2017, an expedition to locate and retrieve an undersea habitat abandoned since the 1960s when contact was unexpectedly lost, find themselves with a mystery on their hands.

Note: This is not an action novel, but rather a Romantic Thriller with paranormal overtones. 
Modelling Forum / Re: Area 51 - What aircraft to display?
« Last post by Rhinocrates on April 17, 2018, 06:42:41 pm »
Pumpkinseed:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,814.0.html

Artichoke, IIRC, was supposedly an F-117-like aircraft with a complexly serrated trailing edge, reminiscent of an artichoke.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10