Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Projects in Switzerland
« Last post by Kuno on Today at 10:17:54 pm »

The same was the case fro the Pilatus SB-2. The completed project was actually sold to Pilatus who then built it (but only once).
[/quote]

Here I have to correct my earlier statement: It was not the case that the project "SB-2" was sold to Pilatus.

The aircraft was designed and developped by the "Studienbüro für Spezialflugzeuge" at ETHZ on order of the Swiss Civil Aviation
The "Studienbüro" signed a contract with Pilatus for the construction, building and testing of the aircraft
The amount considerd for all those works was not enough... and as I understand now, not all the invoices of Pilauts were paid in the end... this may be the reason why sometimes we read that Pilatus had "bought" the project.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Fairchild M-185F
« Last post by riggerrob on Today at 02:28:23 pm »
Fairchild test-flew a similar engine configuration when they modified a C-123 to XC-123A configuration by installing a pair of GE J47 turbojets under each wing with each pair of engines twinned in a single nacelle.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Blohm und Voss P.185
« Last post by riggerrob on Today at 02:13:02 pm »
To allow the tail gunner access - past the horizontal tail spar - the horizontal tail spar needs to be mounted on the top or bottom of the fuselage. Glider pilots learned - before WW2 - that low-mounted tails were more suseptical to damage when landing on rough fields.

As for the inverted gull-wing ..... they probably wanted to improve the pilot’s lateral vision over the Beaufighter  or deHavilland Mosquito.

As for the Vought F4U Corsair’s inverted gull-wing .... it was a horrid series of compromises. First, they wanted undercarriage short enough to retract aft and fit between the wing spars. Then they added a huge engine and propeller, etc.
As for streamlining ..... Grumman did quite well without complicated dihedral or wing root fillets.
Space Projects / Re: Manned "Cloudbase" in Venus Atmosphere
« Last post by Brickmuppet on Today at 12:31:26 pm »
 One of my commenters just linked to these two old posts by Jon Goff (Of Selenian Boondocks) on Venusian Industrial Chemistry.

https://selenianboondocks.com/2013/12/venus-isru-gas-phase-processes/
https://selenianboondocks.com/2013/12/venus-isru-isru-development-phases/

I still haven't found any academic papers on the matter.
Naval Projects / Re: III Reich Aircraft Carrier Projects
« Last post by sgeorges4 on Today at 09:42:47 am »
Any official or detailed drawing fo the FlugzeugtrÄger B(Peter Strasser seem to be a speculate name):

The only picture I can find in this book:

Naval Projects / Re: PA NG - next gen French Aircraft carrier program
« Last post by Moose on Today at 09:04:56 am »
So, is it closer from CdG or from Queen Elizabeth, or a mix of the two ? (the two carriers, not the two people)
We won't know until they proceed deeper into the program. They might not even stick with EMALS, this is preliminary work. Naval Group has put out some concepts on their own initiative, but the Navy itself hasn't done much to define their goals for a new carrier lately.
So, is it closer from CdG or from Queen Elizabeth, or a mix of the two ? (the two carriers, not the two people)
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Jacobs 104 Convertiplane
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:23:09 am »
Hi,

an Info needs a confirm,there was a Project proceeded this ,called Jacobs 103,maybe
also a convertiplane ?.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Doman HC-3 Project
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:09:37 am »
Hi,

I want to know if the designation HC was differed from D series or not ?.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Flying Cars And Roadable Aircraft
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:05:42 am »
Nice find RAP,

and he also designed Jackson J-10 in 1956.

http://www.aerofiles.com/_j.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10