Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: Tempest - UK Future fighter programme
« Last post by flateric on Today at 11:58:51 am »
That's what I call a clearer version
« Last post by fightingirish on Today at 10:36:21 am »
These attached pictures might have posted before, but this time in a much clearer version.  ;) :)
Source: https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/17/lets-have-a-look-at-the-tempest-uks-6th-generation-combat-aircraft-mock-up-unveiled-at-the-farnborough-air-show/
« Last post by Avimimus on Today at 09:23:51 am »
This is scetch from BAE Warton media day that was much earlier.

Good to know. I like the F-16XLish one on the right. I also like Replica... whereas the mockup is... well... unpretty and unoptimised. If there is only a 40% chance of successful development then aesthetics are a valid criterion, no?
« Last post by SpudmanWP on Today at 08:37:28 am »
Wow that is aggressive timing! 17 years to get it into production by 2035! I see they are following American (and Lockheed) style of product development timing.
You might want to look at the Typhoon/Rafale timings before thinking this is a US thing.  Don't forget to add additional time to develop VLO tech.
Aerospace / Re: Next Generation Jammer (NGJ)
« Last post by fredymac on Today at 08:15:03 am »
« Last post by FighterJock on Today at 08:12:58 am »
When is the Typhoon out of service date supposed to be?  If we know that then we can start to predict when a successor fighter should be ready for service.
« Last post by Airplane on Today at 07:35:19 am »
Wow that is aggressive timing! 17 years to get it into production by 2035! I see they are following American (and Lockheed) style of product development timing. Weapons programs have become nothing more than jobs and money distribution programs. Imagine this timing in the day of the Phantom II... Kicked off in circa 1953 and it would have entered service in 1970. The Phantom was the most complex aircraft conceived at that time and they pulled it off in about 7 years entering service in 1960. Arguably, relatively speaking, the Phantom was more complex to the engineers engineering it than aircraft of today as the Phantom was heavily laden with complicated avionics and radar who technology was not even on the drawing boards when the engineers who engineered it all were adolescents. It was all Gee Whiz Buck Rogers technology back then.
« Last post by mrmalaya on Today at 07:16:26 am »
Yes, I didn't mean the same day as the Air Combat launch.  Still pretty ropey evidence either way.
« Last post by flateric on Today at 06:27:47 am »
This is scetch from BAE Warton media day that was much earlier.
« Last post by mrmalaya on Today at 06:22:09 am »
Part of me does wonder to what extent the mock-up ways designed around the exhibition space rather than the other way around. The other designs being considered probably have as much validity at this stage as the one used in the mock-up. This images are from Tim Robinson who was present at the breifing day prior to the launch.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10