Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Fokker V.40 sport plane prototype
« Last post by cluttonfred on Today at 09:48:53 am »
Great stuff, thank you both.  Yes, I am looking for info on the little Anzani-powered light plane, not the later and much larger fighter prototype.
Missile Projects / Re: US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)
« Last post by bring_it_on on Today at 09:25:38 am »
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Dewoitine projects
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:19:43 am »
From Ali Nuove 1/1962.
Not part of this program but I wonder if it could end up serving side-by-side with it:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pentagon-orders-second-stealth-target-drone-to-be-bu-456793/

Aerospace / Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Last post by merriman on Today at 07:08:54 am »
I am questioning the immense waste of metal manpower hours and dollars . You can't deny it is kind of huge. I have no doubt it will be recycled but that's pretty... radical. Musk could have tried to do something useful with it I mean, just to recoup the big money loss.
Well dare I say with all the poverty in the world that kind of billionaire waste of dollars is a bit disgusting. And I say that as a space nerd since the craddle.

The poor will never take us to Mars. Guy's like Musk, Branson, and Bezos will.

There are those with no means. There are hard-smart workers who have secured for themselves means. One group has nothing to do -- or is obligated -- to the other.

Lead, follow or get out of the way. That fresh, shiny trash heap near the piers in LA belong to Musk. He'll do with it as he pleases. And that's just fine with me.

You want to moan over waste!? I give you, ladies and gentlemen, the SLS; and the current hanger-queen, the Webb telescope. Musk knows how to use my tax money, NASA forgot how to husband my tax money. The worlds poor have nothing to contribute or say about our efforts to get off this dirt-ball.

Secure from rant.

David
I found myself reading Brendan Dubois' Resurrection Day again the other day.

I have already mentioned that I find the idea of Western Europe and its US nuclear bases not being targeted in the Soviet nuclear strike unrealistic.   SS4 and SS5 missiles were deployed for this sole purpose as well as large numbers of Il28 and Tu16 bombers.

Assuming the UK and France received their likely number of strikes, they would have had to implement their emergency survival plans overseas.  Both France and Britain had such plans.

Canada and Australia would have survived unscathed as they had no nuclear launching sites or bomber bases. The Soviets would have concentrated on the targets in US and Europe.   It is likely that the Queen and surviving government ministers would have moved to Ottawa.  Earl Mountbatten and Prince Michael of Kent, plus Charles and Ann would have been sent to Australia.

In such a febrile situation, Dubois' plot of a British attempt to intervene in US affairs becomes more likely than if the UK had survived unscathed.   The Macmillan, later Home Government would have survived into the 1972 timeline of the novel (Home as Foreign Secretary in the 1972 Heath Government).  The centre of the Commonwealth would have moved to Ottawa and Canberra.

Assuming De Gaulle had survived the strikes (I doubt the Soviets planned to deliberately target cities in their first strike-London would have suffered because of Heathrow)
He would also have been an interesting factor (or rather Georges Pompidou as De Gaulle would still have died in 1970).

The likely destruction of the V Bombers over Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union as they went in ahead of SAC under the joint SIOP would have left the UK short of nuclear capability.  Even if Macmillan had stopped them going, all their dispersal bases were in the line of Soviet fire.  Polaris had not yet been negotiated, so getting hold of Hound Dogs and US nuclear bombs for the Royal Air Force  (TSR2 might have gone ahead or the VC10 been pressed into service) would have fitted Dubois' ideas.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Bergonzi-Tonini Canard
« Last post by hesham on Today at 06:42:36 am »
From Ali Nuove 10/1961.
Early Aircraft Projects / Italian Canard Gliders
« Last post by hesham on Today at 06:37:16 am »
Hi,

here is a two canard gliders designed by Mr. Bergonzi and Mr. Teichfuss.

Ali Nuove 10/1961.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Fokker V.40 sport plane prototype
« Last post by Jemiba on Today at 06:31:01 am »
In the book "Fokker Flugzeugwerke" by Peter Grosz and Volker Koos it is mentioned, that there are two
contradicting indications for this designation.
The first is the above mentioned light aircraft with an Anzani engine (photo from the mentioned book),
the other are two single seat parasol wing aircraft ordered in 1920 by the US War Department and dimensioned
for 300 hp Wright-Hispano engine. US designations are said to have been F VI or PW-5.
Dan's photo seems to confirm this.
Aerospace / Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 06:22:46 am »
Well dare I say with all the poverty in the world that kind of billionaire waste of dollars is a bit disgusting.

You're joking, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10