Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
FORUM INDEX / Re: COMPANY: Vought (Chance Vought, LTV)
« Last post by snark on Today at 07:58:15 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_V-141#Specifications_(V-143_%E2%80%93_final_layout)

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/PippinBill/10687.htm

Seems the IJN  "AXV" is actually the Vought V-143, the final iteration (via the V-141) of Northrop's 3-A single-seat fighter design

Harry

Space Projects / Re: What I wrote of Columbia, Feb-Mar '03
« Last post by Ray on Today at 07:41:28 pm »
Interesting read.
Aerospace / Re: Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 07:39:54 pm »
But I would doubt there are "specific" rules just for F-22's.  All US fighter pilots would frown upon losing their ride for a bit of bump and tickle at 25k feet.

Oh, for sure. 
Aerospace / Re: Boeing to unveil new mystery craft
« Last post by Sundog on Today at 07:37:18 pm »
It's not a Phantom Swift or anything STOVL. If it was it wouldn't need the navy landing gear, especially a nose gear designed for being catapulted.
Space Projects / What I wrote of Columbia, Feb-Mar '03
« Last post by trekkist on Today at 05:52:52 pm »
In 2003, I wrote in a white heat an essay on Columbia's loss, which took on the shuttle's history. I submitted this to "Harper's" and "The Atlantic," neither of which bought it.

Unrevised save for the addition of photos, it can be found on my personal website here:

http://www.missedthesixties.com/what-the-shuttles-were-and-why-they-are-gone/

I post this link not for ego-boo, although a few comments (to the site, as well as here) would be appreciated. In some 2 years, the site (admittedly rather sparse, and rarely updated) has attracted no comments save some 16,000 of Spam.
...and back to "Self-published on Amazon" fiction.

Dave Snow, Raven's Nest, 2000

United States (WWII)

USS Sea Stallion (SSN-477)
"Fleet Class", either Gato or Balao Class Submarine
Details as per the real ships
Note: Pennant number clashes with that of the Tench Class Submarine USS Conger (SSN-477) in service 1945 - 1963. Novel states that the submarine was commissioned in August 1943 and the first Tench Class Submarines did not start commissioning until late in 1944, therefore it must be a member of one of the earlier two classes.

Becomes...

Non-State

Griffen (ex-USS Sea Stallion (SSN-477))
"Fleet Class", either Gato or Balao Class Submarine (Modified)
Has undergone a modernization similar to the US GUPPY program (E.g. Hull has been streamlined)
Original engines have been replaced with a "...steam turbine with a small atomic reactor...", underwater speed is now 40 knots.
Highly automated, crew has been reduced to 20.
Torpedo armament includes a mix of full and reduced charge warheads.
Operated by the McFallen Clan (Pirates...)

Breeze
Armed Trawler
'Old' 1940s/50s/60s?
Typical fishing vessel of the type operated in Alaskan waters?
Australian registered? (Note: Author does not specifically state this, but the heroine notes an Australian flag flying at the stern when she goes aboard.)
Armament: 1 x M60 Machine gun (Deck mounted fwd, the gun is normally kept dismounted in a locker on deck.)
Operated by the McFallen Clan (Pirates...)

United States (1983)

Coast Guard

Unnamed
Cutter

Navy

Unnamed
Two Destroyers

Plot summary: The year is 1983, a young woman receives a mysterious inheritance and finds herself caught up in a vicious struggle over the legacy of the worlds last pirate.

Note: This novel is not an action novel in the normal sense, but rather a Gothic Romance in action novel trappings. While the author does not list his inspirations, I get the feeling that the two Jules Verne 'Captain Nemo' tales "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" & "The Mysterious Island" (As filtered through Hollywood.) especially the latter were amongst them. As with some other tales of post Age-of-Sail pirates ('The Stolen Cruiser' (1913) & 'The Third Officer' (1921)) the novel is incredibly vague on just how the loot is disposed of and never explains just who did the updates on the Griffen , updates that would require access to a fairly substantial shipyard to perform. Other novels I've covered with highly-automated submarines on this list are 'The Saturn Experiment' (1988) and 'Thunderfish (1999).
« Last post by LowObservable on Today at 04:44:23 pm »
The UFO thing is coincidental.
Aerospace / Re: BAE MAGMA Stealth UAV
« Last post by LowObservable on Today at 04:43:23 pm »
Really, you should take the words in your profile to heart.

I don't think the average politician takes much interest in fluidic thrust vectoring. Shareholders? Doubt it. Journalists? A very few.

Getting ventilated in a technical discussion about such topics is a little excessive.
« Last post by Mat Parry on Today at 04:40:32 pm »

... it would seem to me that the application of thrust vectoring might counter that argument?

Thrust vectoring sounds expensive.  Is it too expensive for this tanker role?

Yes I would think so, and with stealth removed from the requirements I really can't see why they would use such a planform.

I'm guessing Bob225 had it right downthread
Aerospace / Re: BAE MAGMA Stealth UAV
« Last post by marauder2048 on Today at 04:26:22 pm »
So if that is indeed the case, do you think BAE have been developing it just for small UAVs?

They have stuck with it for over a decade now, so must be seeing some benefits surely?

Cynically, it's easier for grad students to implement and it can overawe non-technical audiences like
journalists, shareholders and politicians.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10