Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Bar / Re: HMS Sheffield Sinking Report
« Last post by JFC Fuller on Today at 02:48:36 pm »
Lots of Clausewitzian friction there.
Military / Re: Standard SM-3 News & Dev.
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 02:32:16 pm »
Ballistic, Cruise Missiles Intercepted in Formidable Shield 2017

Published: October 16, 2017 | By Missile Defense Project

On October 15, the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) announced that ships from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States participated in a live-fire integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) scenario. During the exercise, the Arleigh-Burke class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) tracked and defeated a medium-range ballistic missile target with a SM-3 Block IB interceptor. At the same time, the Spanish frigate SPS Alvaro de Bazan (F101) and the Dutch frigate HNMLS Tromp (F803) fired Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles against three antiship cruise missiles, successfully intercepting their targets. It was the first time that NATO ships had conducted air defense missions to protect another ballistic missile defense ship. Following the exercise, the USS McFaul (DDG-74) successfully test-fired a Standard Missile-6 (SM-6) as part of the systemís flight certification process.
Aerospace / Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Last post by Flyaway on Today at 02:06:41 pm »
Further to the above article.

NASASpaceflight.com has confirmed that Northrop Grumman is the payload provider for Zuma through a commercial launch contract with SpaceX for a LEO satellite with a mission type labeled as "government" and a needed launch date range of 1-30 November 2017.
« Last post by Flyaway on Today at 10:56:06 am »
Good article covering Space Xís forthcoming launch schedule including the mysterious ZUMA payload.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/10/spacex-zuma-iridium-4-aims-vandenberg-landing/
The Bar / Re: Rumors - Detection of Gravitational Waves?
« Last post by robunos on Today at 10:18:22 am »
Fifth Gravitational Wave detection, and observations of the event in the electromagnetic spectrum . . .

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/a-new-rosetta-stone-for-astronomy/ar-AAtzRy9?li=BBoPU0R&ocid=mailsignout

cheers,
          Robin.
Aerospace / Re: X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV)
« Last post by LowObservable on Today at 07:40:51 am »
X-37 aka X-40 aka SMV aka REFLY has been around as a serious idea, with a stable shape (if variable size), for 20 years, so it's hard to discern the vintage of a particular mockup.
« Last post by Flyaway on Today at 05:25:24 am »
More from the Reddit conversation:
[Ė]old_sellsword 1 point 15 hours ago
Was this contract something that happened recently, or has it been confirmed for a while but the public just didnít know about it?

[Ė]ASTRALsunder 1 point 2 hours ago
That I do not know, my friend. I did not press my sources for more details. The extent of my knowledge is the flight is named ZUMA/Zuma and the NET is November 15th. Customer contract details and what kind of satellite I do not know. They just emphasized the on-time part of the launch, it would be out of 39A, and on a new booster.
My friends did say CRS-13's new NET is December 4th out of LC-40. SpaceX pitched the idea of a flown booster for CRS-13 to NASA and they will give them an answer in early November.
Aerospace / Re: X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV)
« Last post by Mat Parry on Today at 04:18:59 am »
thanks!

I'm much less intrigued now, still it was an interesting watch
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10