Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Sorry for misleading the reader.

I would insert a bad joke here about "fake news" and how you'll get deplatformed... but let's face it, that's not so much of a joke anymore.

Anyway, nukes don't need to weigh so much anymore. No more than a sno-cone maker.
Military / Re: Mk21 Fuze Thunderpipe Explosive Blast Testing in Slow Motion
« Last post by TomcatViP on Yesterday at 05:51:19 pm »
yes, my reply was irrelevant. I checked the mass of a typical RV like the W87 (Peacekeeper) and it seems to be much less than what I could have guessed ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W87 ). So the way they are handling it in the video is fully compatible to what it could be with a fully representative model (weight)l. Sorry for misleading the reader.
at 00:30s you can see the RV palletized with a simple double bracing made of 2inches wood support that is lifted with a hydraulic mechanism actioned by hand and then pushed by a single person.

That isn't necessarily as enlightening at you might think... a few inches of wood can hold a *lot* of weight, as can a simple hydraulic jack like that. Many long years ago I worked at a Kmart and would regularly load half a ton of concrete bags onto a jack not unlike that and shove it around by myself.

Note that the video doesn't show the RV being lifted from the platform and hung from the wires...there's an important jump cut there that cuts out showing if the RV was picked up by just a few workers or if it was a major production.

Aerospace / Re: Bell V-280 Valor
« Last post by F-14D on Yesterday at 05:28:58 pm »
The big problems with a USMC/USAF Valor buy are culture and money. 

Historically, USMC u=is not allowed to develop from scratch  their own aircraft, but rather must adapt something developed by someone else for their use.  The only major exceptions I can think of were the CH-53, AV-8B (in conjunction with UK) and the V-22.   No, USMC did not start the design and development of the CH-46.  That vehicle was started in response to an Army requirement, and after work was underway the Army changed its mind and said they wanted something larger, and so a new design was started which became the CH-47 (CH-47 is not an enlarged CH-46).  USMC stepped in and said, "If you marinize that smaller design it'll be just fine for us".   In conjunction with USA they were developing ASTOVL/SSF, but that program was ordered terminated and they were directed to join the something-for-everyone JSF.   That latter is not meant to be a JSF slam. 

USAF has shown virtually no interest in developing VTOL/STOVL in general  and  rotorcraft in particular.  They prefer someone else to spend their money to develop a rotorcraft and then they'll come in and adapt it.   This is assuming they don't perceive an Army rotorcraft impinging on what they feel are their roles and missions, in which case they'll tend to frown on its development.  There have been some concerns about FVL-Heavy and Ultra for that reason.   

Marines would no doubt love Valor, the question is whether they can afford to foot the bill, given the size of their fleet.  They certainly couldn't afford all of FVL, but then they don't need all the FVL categories.    If they were provided the money by Congress/USN I'm sure they would jump at the chance.  Almost certainly they would deploy it faster than Army's ridiculous schedule. 

If it already existed USAF would no doubt be interested for Special Ops and other uses, although might prefer more of the  larger V-22, but still they' make good use of it in different roles (can you say CSAR?).  The 160th SOAR would love it, but that might be against Ar,my policy given the HQ preferences. 

If as seems to be indicated Army is once again dumbing down their  top priority  requirements to that of a conventional helicopter as preliminary reports seem to indicate, it looks like we aren't gong to see much advance and I fear we'll end up with nothing.  But then we've been there before, haven't we? 

« Last post by TomcatViP on Yesterday at 05:19:48 pm »
at 00:30s you can see the RV palletized with a simple double bracing made of 2inches wood support that is lifted with a hydraulic mechanism actioned by hand and then pushed by a single person.
It looks like quite light weight for a fully representative device IMOHO.

What I understand is that they are testing the Fuze, not the RV. So, it makes sense to have a mockup that won 't sustain the blast exposing the fuze to the most critical situation but still being aerodinamically representative (waves).

They'd want the fuse to be exposed to a representative environment, which almost certainly means a representative RV... and all the stuff in it. I suspect the RV shell itself is no great shakes, but all the RV-stuffin' is probably terribly interesting. Even if all the bits were replaced with mockups - the D-cell batteries that power the Nixie tubes were replaced with sawed-off lengths of aluminum rod, say - it would still be of interest to see what goes where.
« Last post by TomcatViP on Yesterday at 09:36:03 am »
What I understand is that they are testing the Fuze, not the RV. So, it makes sense to have a mockup that won 't sustain the blast exposing the fuze to the most critical situation but still being aerodinamically representative (waves).
The Bar / Re: The interlude/theme music you touched by
« Last post by Archibald on Yesterday at 09:05:01 am »
The Bar / Re: The interlude/theme music you touched by
« Last post by Grey Havoc on Yesterday at 07:46:19 am »

Rest in Peace.

:(
Aerospace / Re: Kosmos-2499
« Last post by Grey Havoc on Yesterday at 07:08:26 am »
https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/russia-accused-of-testing-a-killer-satellite-in-orbit/news-story/618fa3f5cf0bf28f83e0bf370f7cdd0c

While Ms Poblete did not specify which Russian satellite she was talking about, military analysts believe it was one of a set launched on June 23. A month later, the Russian Ministry of Defence announced it had launched a small-sized spacecraft has separated from a space platform in order to inspect condition of the Russian satellite.

Kosmos 2521 was believed deployed from another satellite, Kosmos 2519. Close by is another satellite, Kosmos 2523.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10