Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The publisher always makes more money if you buy direct from the publisher. Whether the author gets more money depends on their deal with the publisher. As Steve Ginter is the publisher, it is always best to buy his books direct to maximise his revenue. Whether that means his authors get more money on books he didn't write himself - no idea.

So in this instance Fonthill get more money. Justo might or might not, but he will also benefit indirectly if his publisher makes more from his book in terms of future commissions.
I am afraid the books can only be ordered from Fonthill.

Best regards,
Justo
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: Schneider Trophy books
« Last post by Schneiderman on Yesterday at 04:17:03 am »
I find that the law of diminishing returns comes into play eventually.  While there is always going to be room for more research knowledge of your subject makes it fairly clear when the narrative has reached the point where it is ready to be written-up. Even then, during the writing process it is all-but inevitable that some hard-won material will end up being excluded as it is judged to be peripheral to the story. A good sources and reference section will cover most of that. External funding for research is not something to be sniffed at but it will not necessarily result in greater depth or even greater quantity of material, that depends on the subject matter and the sources of data.
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on Yesterday at 01:38:42 am »
The Kursk book benefitted from US Army funding and much of the primary research was done by paid Russian and German researchers. Even at $195 a copy it wouldn't cover the costs, by a long way.

Not sure this a useful benchmark to hold others to.

« Last post by jcf on September 19, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »
Chris, some academics certainly do have the time. E.g. the late professor Mauno Jokipii wrote an 800-page book on the Finnish SS-battalion. His research took at least 5 years, and the book is heavily referenced with primary sources. He conducted research in Finnish and German archives. He even corresponded with participants like Gottlob Berger.

And then a later example is Chris Lawrence's 1660-page Kursk book. He worked something like 10 years for it. And based his research on archival sources.

Which leaves one to wonder how many of each author's magnum opus have actually been purchased.
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Dornier Do 335 Pfeil/Arrow by Eddie Creek
« Last post by Madoc on September 18, 2017, 09:40:23 pm »
A new book on the Do 335 Arrow.

Looks to be an updated and expanded version of a previous edition.

Any thoughts on this version?

Dornier Do 335 Pfeil/Arrow by Eddie Creek
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: New book 'Focke-Wulf Jet Fighters' by Justo Miranda
« Last post by Madoc on September 18, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
Justo,

How do we order this such that as much of its purchase price goes to you directly?

With Steve Ginter's books, for example, I've found ordering through him directly is better for that than purchasing his books on Amazon.  Does ordering this through Fonthill work better toward that?
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: Luftwaffe: Secret Wings of the Third Reich
« Last post by XP67_Moonbat on September 18, 2017, 09:55:31 am »
If I had a tail, it would be wagging right now. Seeing as I live in west Texas though, I'll start keeping an eye out around November or December.

Dan, I loved your first to volumes. And I look forward to this one.
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: The Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker: More Than a Tanker
« Last post by Flyaway on September 18, 2017, 05:49:51 am »
The version on Amazon has a different cover to the one posted above for the updated version yet says it was published in 2016.
Bookshelf & Marketplace / Re: The Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker: More Than a Tanker
« Last post by Archibald on September 15, 2017, 06:39:33 am »
The proliferation of C-135 variants over the years is only rivaled by the Su-27 and its nightmarish developments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10