Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Interesting escape concepts.
« Last post by riggerrob on Today at 08:02:18 am »
Please have you informations about this Shuttle Mk II concept? It seems to have an aerodynamic reentry escape capsule.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

When (September 28, 1986) Space Shuttle Mark I 鼎hallenger exploded shortly after lift-off, NASA started developing a new escape system. Shuttle crews wore special harnesses and slid outboard along a curved pole. Once past the end of the pole, they would deploy conventional back type Pilot Emergency Parachutes. That system would only work when stable, power off and within the earth痴 atmosphere.
I was asked to sew prototype harnesses. I read the drawings, but we never got the 堵o ahead for sewing prototypes.
Stunning! 

Thanks for posting!  Mark
Whose heavy lift helicopters will be used....private owned? Air Force leased?
Got to be big ones....

They need a big one, a really big one
i estimate that entire Engine block will have weight around 5000 kg or 11000 lbs.
A Boeing CH-47F can carry that or Sikorsky S-70 if engine block got 4000 kg mass.

Here lies the limitation of Vulcan rocket, if ULA stick to that plan.
if there no grow factor on Engine block, if limited to carry capability of Helicopter

It'll be interesting to see SpaceX's efforts at bringing back the 2nd stage. 
like this

and final approach the stage will use airbags like Rover Landing 

Gee, what happened to fixated on clean separation?  Fixated one moment and biased the next.  Just my lying eyes telling me a jettisoned engine tumbling into the distance is indeed tumbling and doomed to become little pieces of incandescent debris in the night.

Controlled re-entry was indeed my emphasis so it's interesting to see you claim it is a no-brainer that only biased fools would worry about.  By the way, you forgot about the hypersonic re-entry speed and inflatable hypersonic decelerator that is needed to shield and slow down the enclosure.  You know, the thing NASA has been working on for years and not yet perfected and that nobody else has ever demonstrated especially scaled up to the size and mass of the Vulcan engine pod.

But thanks for the lesson on staging and the upper limits of the sensible atmosphere.  It's wonderful you are around to tell us these things.

It'll be interesting to see SpaceX's efforts at bringing back the 2nd stage. 
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Kyushu Q3W ォ Nankai サ
« Last post by windswords on Today at 03:59:00 am »
GTX, apparently it is incorrect. AZ website does not mention it. A Google search only lists the Scalemates web site. My guess is the company pre-announced it and Scalemates made an entry for the kit but it never happened. The only kit I'm aware of is the Fine Molds 1/72 kit.
Whose heavy lift helicopters will be used....private owned? Air Force leased?
Got to be big ones....
Gee, what happened to fixated on clean separation?  Fixated one moment and biased the next.  Just my lying eyes telling me a jettisoned engine tumbling into the distance is indeed tumbling and doomed to become little pieces of incandescent debris in the night.

Controlled re-entry was indeed my emphasis so it's interesting to see you claim it is a no-brainer that only biased fools would worry about.  By the way, you forgot about the hypersonic re-entry speed and inflatable hypersonic decelerator that is needed to shield and slow down the enclosure.  You know, the thing NASA has been working on for years and not yet perfected and that nobody else has ever demonstrated especially scaled up to the size and mass of the Vulcan engine pod.

But thanks for the lesson on staging and the upper limits of the sensible atmosphere.  It's wonderful you are around to tell us these things.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Junkers Projects and Prototypes of WW II
« Last post by moin1900 on Yesterday at 03:42:32 pm »
Hi
Here a Junkers patent
It shows the EF.101 carrier aircraft with an unknown fighter/bomber.
Patent Nr. DE911457
Title: Mutterflugzeug mit selbstst舅dig fliegendem Tochterflugzeug
Year: 1941

https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?action=einsteiger

Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Gotha Go 345, P 52 and P 53 projects
« Last post by robunos on Yesterday at 03:06:14 pm »
Film shows Russians dropping light tanks (with stabilizing chutes) that fire retro-rocketsa couple of seconds before impact. We hope the  Russian system was limited to cargo drops.

That's the same, or a similar, system to that used on Soyuz capsules . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(spacecraft)#Descent_module

". . . during re-entry. It is slowed initially by the atmosphere, then by a braking parachute, followed by the main parachute which slows the craft for landing. At one meter above the ground, solid-fuel braking engines mounted behind the heat shield are fired to give a soft landing. "

cheers,
           Robin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10