Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Modelling Forum / Re: rechlin plans
« Last post by robertino on Today at 06:50:21 am »
Odd, the weisse Hauser are too close together to be flak towers and too tall to be storage units.  I would almost go with them being construction buildings for A-4 rockets or a variation of this.  The bunker looks to have housed some large artillery but the location is wrong for that.  Launch control unit for rockets?

more photos
http://puriy.de/lost-places-weisse-haeuser-in-mecklenburg/ and http://digitalcosmonaut.com/2017/die-weisen-hauser-hitlers-secret-city/

Die "Weißen Häuser" entstanden als Versuchsbauten des "Baulichen Luftschutz". Sie sind das Ergebnis von Überlegungen, die die Stadt Hamburg in einem Architektenwettbewerb und der Architekt Neufert als Normungsbaeuftragter des Generalbauinspektors Albert Speer unabhängig voneinander angestellt haben. Es ging darum den gefährlichen Fußweg zwischen Wohnung und Schutzplatz zu vermeiden, dass heißt die Bunker in Wohnbauten einzubauen. Sie sollten in Friedenszeiten als Bäder, Abstellraum oder Treppenhäuser genutzt werden und im Kriegsfalle gleichzeitig als Etagenbunker dienen. Zu Versuchszwecken hat man solche "Erschließungskerne" bei Rechlin auf dem Versuchsgelände der Luftwaffe errichtet. Diese Rohbauten gingen dann als "Weiße Stadt" und als "Germania-Probebauten" in die Geschichte ein. Früher waren die Fassaden verklinkert. Die Steine seien später abmontiert und für den Hausbau genutzt worden. So seien die Bauten zu ihren Beinamen "weiße Häuser" gekommen.
« Last post by Foo Fighter on Yesterday at 07:00:57 am »
Odd, the weisse Hauser are too close together to be flak towers and too tall to be storage units.  I would almost go with them being construction buildings for A-4 rockets or a variation of this.  The bunker looks to have housed some large artillery but the location is wrong for that.  Launch control unit for rockets?
Designation Systems / Re: Nord Aviation and SNCAN designations
« Last post by hesham on Yesterday at 05:32:04 am »
It seemed to be there was an un-popular series for Nord,began with number 200,there
was unknown lightweight fighter Project also in this sequence.

Of course I didn't mean this aircraft in that topic;
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3474.0.html

In Breguet Br.1100 or NATO competition,the company Nord submitted many proposals,two
of them unfortunately was never mentioned in the book; French Secret Projects : Post War
Fighters ?.
« Last post by robertino on Yesterday at 01:21:48 am »
Do you have a location of these structures?

yes
Philip McCutchan, Sunstrike, 1979

United States

USS Cato E. Parnell
Minesweeper/hunter
Glass Fibre hull. (Glass reinforced plastic?)
Speed: 25 knots (Max)
No other details provided.

USS Hampton Roads (SSN or SSBN-???)
Nuclear submarine, class not specified.
No other details provided, beyond the fact that it carries 'missiles' it is not specified if these are cruise missiles or ballistic missiles.

Plot summary: The year is 1979. Someone has provided the Chinese with the means to open holes in the Ozone Layer on command, the possibilities for extortion on the grandest scale are obvious.

Note: This is only the second novel I've run across that makes use of the idea of weaponizing ozone depletion as a major plot element, the other being the horror novel 'SIGMET Active' (1978) by Thomas Page, which I've covered earlier in the thread. It's also a Yellow Peril (China) novel, predating the resurgence of the genre in the late 1990s and early 2000s, other novels of this  kind I have covered in the thread are 'Sky Masters' (1991), 'Flood Tide' (1997), 'Icefire' (1998), 'China Sea' (2000) and 'White Plague' (2015). Dating this story is not really possible as the author carefully avoids providing specific information that could tie things to a particular year, however one reference to the 'power' of the British Trade Union Council over the British Government suggests that it may take place prior to the May 3 1979 British General Election (Which bought Margaret Thatcher into power...) or possibly shortly thereafter, see also the novel 'The Hastings Conspiracy' (1980) by Alfred Coppel.
Avionics / Vought F-8 Avionics
« Last post by PaulMM (Overscan) on February 18, 2018, 11:40:24 pm »
A very nice supplement to the Flight Manual with good info, cockpit displays for the radar of the Vought F-8D/E here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2018/02/vought-f-8de-flight-manual-supplemental.html
Designation Systems / Re: Gribovskiy aircraft
« Last post by Avimimus on February 18, 2018, 03:31:41 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know where I could find the weight of the Utka (canard) project? Information on the engine would also be helpful!
Modelling Forum / Re: B-29 model
« Last post by Tonton-42 on February 18, 2018, 09:44:19 am »
Not that long ago there was a B-29 salvage attempt, an aircraft on the ice in Greenland I think.  Ended up completely burned out which was a crying shame.  What a missed opportunity.
I saw that video - I had the tears welling up in my eyes at the end. Still one of the most frustrating pieces of film I ever saw. Heartbreaking - after all that work they put in. Considering how close the came actually flying the plane. As I said, gut wrenching...

It is sad to cry indeed ! So much spent energy and currency also to finish so brutally !

Tonton attristé

Designation Systems / Japanese Naval Radar Systems
« Last post by Tzoli on February 18, 2018, 07:54:39 am »
I've recently found this Japanese site about the various radars designed and used by Japan, mostly the Navy:
http://www17.big.or.jp/~father/aab/kikirui/navy_radar.html#list
It includes both photos and drawings for some of these systems. Which are very rare!

But I wish to ask if there are any info on the sizes of these radars? Dimensions I am looking particularly for example the Type 14 and 32 ones and so on.
Can anybody help me?
Designation Systems / Re: Nord Aviation and SNCAN designations
« Last post by hesham on February 18, 2018, 05:10:22 am »
You might want to add the following:

268: probably a Max Holst design

It seemed to be there was an un-popular series for Nord,began with number 200,there
was unknown lightweight fighter Project also in this sequence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10