Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Possible northrop wind tunnel model.

https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/643_Models:H-P
Unless things have changed, the US NASM policy and resulting execution in restoring aircraft has been somewhat more demanding and complex than many other museums.  Displaying the aircraft is somewhat secondary to making certain that the aircraft is returned to the condition of when it was built as an icon or perhaps a better term might be a "time capsule" of the technology incorporated in that aircraft. The restored aircraft in essentially all respects could be flown and all systems, materials and components, as much as possible are functional duplicates of the original.  Insuring that concept is expensive and perhaps difficult to monitor in a remote location.  The Do 335 situation was perhaps unique in some respects relative to it's restoration.

Best respects,

ArtieBob
Naval Projects / Re: 1973-74 Spansh Guided Missile Destroyer Project
« Last post by Arjen on Today at 01:22:11 pm »
Conway's All the World Fighting Ships 1947-1995 (a later edition) states these destroyers were part of a package with the other parts being a light cruiser, two corvettes and some PF craft. This package was deferred to 1977-1978, the cruiser morphed into the light carrier Principe de Asturias with the rest materializing as six modified long-hulled FFG-7 frigates with extra beam to allow more top-weight, all built in Ferrol:
- Numancia
- Reina Sofia
- Santa Maria
- Victoria
- Navarra
- Canarias

Asturias laid down in 1979, completed in 1988.
The first FFG-7, Santa Maria, was laid down in 1982, completed in 1986.
The last FFG-7, Canarias, was laid down in 1992, completed in 1994.
Naval Projects / Re: 1973-74 Spansh Guided Missile Destroyer Project
« Last post by pometablava on Today at 01:04:12 pm »
According to el grancapitan.org forum 3 fleet destroyers were considered under Naval Plan Barbudo (1971), but the project never progressed into a detailed proposal. In 1973, Admiral Pita da Veiga proposed a new plan based on 1DDG Class Kidd and 3 FFG Class Perry.
I think it's a "Super-Caravelle" drawing on the cover. Any stuff (images) we don't have here in that Science&Vie ?

Found a NASA page with many many wind tunnel models pictures, the 733-290 included  :P :
https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/1251_Models_A-C#SST
Also some picts of Arrow Wing testing
https://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/1251_More_Arrow_Wings_Photos
Surprise, together with a Tu-22 blinder model !

Also some Concorde model picts there. And a lot lot more.
But anyways, I have the bad habit to post things already posted here before, so again if it's the case, i'll hide under my desk in shame for two days (but i'll take my laptop, some food and drinks with me...).
I have an old Science&Vie magazine from April 1964 which discusses SST plans and projects, notably the american ones.
It is a fascinating hindsight into a pretty naive era now lost forever.

I've found the entire article on the Internet right here, how about that. Google translation shall be able to do its job. What is lacking are the pictures, pretty beautiful ones.

http://cap-avenir-concorde.fr/les-dossiers-de-presse/science-vie-avril-1964-trois-projets-us-contre-concorde

What is pretty clear from this magazine, is that Concorde started as "Super Caravelle" which mean, Paris - Algiers and back, 4500 km total (sonic booms rattling southern France and Spain ? no problem !). No way that aircraft ever crossed the Atlantic. Then it started growing heavier and heavier, more fuel for more range. The magazine (April 1964) say that Concorde remain marginally trans-Atlantic - 5 years before first flight, 12 years before commercial service. Which says how much SST were pushing the edge of technology, with very little margin.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcap-avenir-concorde.fr%2Fles-dossiers-de-presse%2Fscience-vie-avril-1964-trois-projets-us-contre-concorde&edit-text=&act=url
Concord was the size/speed it was because thatís what was considered technically feasible at the time. Indeed the final aircraft had a payload range which was very marginal;- to be within fuel regulations, the flight plan, going east bound would routinely declare Shannon as the destination only to divert to New York based on a satisfactory fuel state being achieved a pre determined point on the outbound route  ( the Pax knew nothing of this), AirFrance pressurised the fuel to balloon the tanks to get more in and regularly towed the aircraft to the runway to avoid taxi out feul burn. Aerospat/BAC didnít have an aircraft which achieved payload range until mid 1974, after 18 versions of the wing leading edges flight tested to wring out every last fraction of a percent from the performance.....amongst a raft of other things. The problems of making your declared payload range get worse the bigger the aircraft;- ie the squared vs cubed divergence which would have very much been on Lockheed mind with their SST proposal.

The ďSuper metalĒ Titanium is very overrated;- A study done in the mid 70ís based on replacing the aluminium in Concord with Titanium, only for it to  show that it would only achieve about 20% of the required fatigue life. Redesigning the airframe to achieve the fatigue life added so much weight it killed the payload range. BTW - The SR71 fleet leader only did a few thousand hours, with many of the other airframes had less than one thousand upon retirement;- A civil aircraft typically is designed to last 30-50 K flying hours.

I too laugh at Boeing plans for a hypersonic considering the airport noise but even more astounding is Musks plan to fire a BFR daily from the Hudson close to New York;- the supersonic arrival shock is very alarming as well;- itís a sudden noise that sounds like a bomb going off, yeah sure New York is going to accept that.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Italian Heavy Fighters
« Last post by sgeorges4 on Today at 08:07:49 am »
Years ago i made several art work about the Santangelo heavy fighter called also "Sturmovino" for the better know Russian Sturmovik, because can do ground attack with the cannon under belly.

italian bf 110?  ;D
Naval Projects / 1973-74 Spansh Guided Missile Destroyer Project
« Last post by Tzoli on Today at 08:04:00 am »
Conway's All the World Fighting Ships 1947-1991 mentions a Spanish destroyer project from the 1970's: 1973/74 but offers very little info about the project:
3 ships to be built
127mm OTO-Malera gun system(s)
Anti ship and Anti air missiles
COGOG propulsion for 34knots
ASW Helicopter(s)

Does anybody heard of this project or know more about it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10