Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
As for a Helo recovery limiting the mass that can be recovered, I thought that as well. But then I thought most midair parachute grabs that have been done in the past have used aircraft, so a C130 or C17 or C5 or even a big Ant would enable quite a heavy mass to be recovered at a reasonable distance. But I wonder what the FAA safety/cert case for this looks like.

I  also think recovery of parachute with a Helo will not be easy. The risk is that the  rotor down draft will collapse the canopy, even a ram air type, just as contact is being made;- just ask anyone whoís flown a parapente in moderatel turbulence.....they fold, twist up into a knot and drop like a stone..... then you cut away to deploy the reserve. I know this has been demonstrated with little canopies and a small Heloís for the Genesis mission (the attempted real recovery failed) so Iím not claiming itís impossible. I might have expected to have seen a practice work up under way.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Koolhoven FK.35 as biplane
« Last post by Apophenia on Today at 01:56:53 pm »
Old post, I know, but just to point out that the biplane was not "anther project". The F.K.35 was designed from the outset to be a convertible airframe - able to assembled as either a monoplane or as an unstaggered, equal-span biplane.

A display model was also made of the monoplane configuration equipped with twin floats. Presumably, the biplane could also take a pontoon undercarriage.

http://members.ziggo.nl/henrikaper/koolhoven/koolhoven-vliegtuigen/images/koolhoven-fk35.jpg
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Various Blohm und Voss projects
« Last post by steelpillow on Today at 01:52:35 pm »
Nice drawings, thank you.
The BV 144 was built in France by Breguet because they had nothing to do and B&V had no capacity anywhere. It was OK to do this because it was a civilian project, expected to go into production once the war was over. The Breguet engineers went to Hamburg for a while to get the hang of the design before going back home to build it.
Two prototypes were built, but nobody seems to know whether both flew. There is even a story that de Gaulle used one as his personal runabout for a while.
Some awesome stuff has been published in this thread over the last couple of years. Thanks folks!

But thanks for the lesson on staging and the upper limits of the sensible atmosphere.  It's wonderful you are around to tell us these things.

Somebody has to try educate the unwashed masses.
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Various Blohm und Voss projects
« Last post by sienar on Today at 11:13:30 am »
BV 144
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: VJ 101D only The Evolution
« Last post by uk 75 on Today at 10:59:44 am »
Couple of fact sheets on the VJ101 D being sold on Ebay
My dear Tophe have recently discovered those drawings to Alekseyev Project,mantioned
in reply # 13.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10