Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aerospace / Re: Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber
« Last post by marauder2048 on Today at 01:28:57 am »
McCain was the loudest - and he got to see the numbers in closed session. 

Yeah..we've been through this. 

For this type of SAP, even co-sponsors of that amendment, neither of whom are members of a defense or
intelligence committee, can get access in a pretty straightforward manner.

I just think some of these members don't want to have their hands officially dipped in blood. 
Aerospace / Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Last post by Steven on Today at 01:03:56 am »
It certainly does seem like the J-20 design made some compromises in terms of low observability and it likely won't reach the level of signature reduction of the F-22, but perhaps that wasn't the goal in the first place. That said, in the Pacific, operational considerations would make range a greater design driver. I wouldn't dismiss Chinese engineering and manufacturing out of hand; for instance, consumer electronics are generally of good quality. You can also point out engineering failures of any country so singling out any one in particular isn't very constructive, and to be frank a certain poster here comes across as having some kind of vendetta.

However, even though it is advancing at a remarkable rate (some of it no doubt through IP theft), China still lags the West in terms of experience and technology in several key fields in aeronautics, with propulsion being the most obvious.
« Last post by NeilChapman on Yesterday at 08:51:32 pm »
No, thatís clearly not what I was saying and the histrionic representation of an extreme position reflects poorly on your argument.

No need to project.  I just find it telling that the only people complaining are those who make their scratch by churning out hit pieces on military programs.

Itís a valid question to ask if there is sufficient public (i.e. by the media, by the public and by their representives in public) scrutiny if important

How much of the public is even qualified to form a valid opinion?  Consider how many bought the, "F-35 was slaughtered by an F-16 in a dogfight contest" idiocy.

Yes but youíve always against proper scrutiny of this project. You seem to think that taxpayers should just cough up however many dollars it takes all in defense of excessive secrecy. Or is it the case that the costs wouldnít stand up to such scrutiny. And donít come up with the argument thatís already being scrutinised as thatís no argument at all when itís done behind a curtain.

The whole "release the cost figures" brouhaha is just political theater.  McCain was the loudest - and he got to see the numbers in closed session. 

Nothing to see here.

The Bar / Re: Interesting Paul Czysz Interview
« Last post by LowObservable on Yesterday at 05:06:22 pm »
Fascinating stuff. Not that I had not heard it before. I am very familiar with the ESA guy's quote because he said that to me as well (and then denied he had said it, but this kind of explodes that cockamamy story). And the Steve Wurst story... his concept was pretty ambitious and it was hard to make bits of it converge, but it was not fantasy.

Was NASP really a cover for something? That's a long discussion, but NASP was so utterly weird that one wonders.

Also: Some people who make silly comments about methane ought to read this transcript. As should others who make sillier comments about fairytales.
Aerospace / Re: SpaceX (general discussion)
« Last post by Moose on Yesterday at 02:56:33 pm »
Today's Iridium launch from California.
Aerospace / Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Last post by kcran567 on Yesterday at 02:27:14 pm »
Sounds like Pierre Sprey has been visiting India and has a few new followers there (Stealth is a Myth), India PR.

The possibility mentioned that the J-20 had its lens reflector deployed makes sense. Wouldn't Indian operators know the difference? 

Could atmospheric conditions make stealth aircraft more visible (wet, rain), wonder what the conditions were if indeed India was able to track with the MKIs or AWACs. Just putting it out there.
« Last post by Flyaway on Yesterday at 02:04:47 pm »
No, thatís clearly not what I was saying and the histrionic representation of an extreme position reflects poorly on your argument.

No need to project.  I just find it telling that the only people complaining are those who make their scratch by churning out hit pieces on military programs.

Itís a valid question to ask if there is sufficient public (i.e. by the media, by the public and by their representives in public) scrutiny if important

How much of the public is even qualified to form a valid opinion?  Consider how many bought the, "F-35 was slaughtered by an F-16 in a dogfight contest" idiocy.

Yes but youíve always against proper scrutiny of this project. You seem to think that taxpayers should just cough up however many dollars it takes all in defense of excessive secrecy. Or is it the case that the costs wouldnít stand up to such scrutiny. And donít come up with the argument thatís already being scrutinised as thatís no argument at all when itís done behind a curtain.
« Last post by dark sidius on Yesterday at 01:57:23 pm »
Keeping the B-21 in high classified is the better idea possible, national security have no price , and nobody in public have realy a need to know about it. We must wait the roll out it's like that, the B-21 is so important for USAF and futur airpower , we can wait some years .
Aerospace / Re: Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic
« Last post by Flyaway on Yesterday at 01:55:49 pm »
Israel becomes first country to deploy 'world's most advanced' fighter jet amid doubts about funding in UK

Israel says it has become the first country in the world to carry out combat airstrikes with the new F-35 stealth fighter, the advanced warplane that will soon be used by Britain and other militaries around the world.

The UK has committed to purchasing 138 of the aircraft, built in the US by Lockheed Martin, and has so far bought 48 jets at a cost of £9.1 billion. But The Telegraph revealed last week that government is reconsidering its pledge to purchase the remaining 90 because of the vast cost of the £190 million American stealth fighter.

The Ministry of Defence is reportedly thinking of instead about buying European-made Eurofighter Typhoons, which are roughly half the cost of the F-35, and made by a European consortium that includes the UK.

A decision to go back on the F-35 purchases could spark a major row between the UK and the Trump administration, which has made a priority of selling US weapons to American allies.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/22/israel-becomes-first-country-deploy-worlds-advanced-fighter/
The Bar / Re: Interesting Paul Czysz Interview
« Last post by Dynoman on Yesterday at 01:48:01 pm »
Sandy McDonnell was CEO of McDonnell Douglas between 1980-1988. Therefore, these five aircraft would have been built prior to 1988.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10