Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Military / Re: Bradley Replacement - OMFV
« Last post by jsport on Today at 10:08:01 am »
I heard something about a weight range of "40-50 tons" and a "50mm" cannon armament...no idea if that's still on paper but somehow I imagine putting a 50mm cannon into an IFV isn't a great idea.
My understanding is the 50mm is essentially a done deal for OMFV. The Army is telling prospective competitors to put it on their vehicles, and in press coverage it's among the most reported-on features. The "fallback option" to 30mm is seen as insurance against delays, the winning vehicle would need the ability to upgrade to XM913 once it and the budget were ready.
50mm or larger 55mm supershot and even a 60mm CRAM (maybe too large for storage) has been a conclusion by the ARDEC for sometime. The Russians seemed to be headed in that direction as well as well as their time tested 100mm.
Part Two:

The Bar / Re: Argentine Sub Missing
« Last post by Alcides on Today at 07:53:08 am »
At that depth, with the hull a mess, recovery would be very complex and expensive. Argentina would need someone to take the project pro bono, or at least to take a big chunk out of the cost, for it to happen. If a country wealthy enough and with enough technical skill wanted to improve their relations with Argentina that much, and wanted to use it as an excuse for training plus R&D, it could happen. But I'm pretty skeptical.

Hello. As Argentinian I've say a lot of people would like the rescue the sub but right now but my country is in serious economic problems. Mainly because of the fiscal deficit.
I've a lot of respect for the pain of families but with an 30% of poor population isn't very wise to expend a lot of money on that operation.

Military / Re: Bradley Replacement - OMFV
« Last post by Moose on Today at 07:48:04 am »
I heard something about a weight range of "40-50 tons" and a "50mm" cannon armament...no idea if that's still on paper but somehow I imagine putting a 50mm cannon into an IFV isn't a great idea.
My understanding is the 50mm is essentially a done deal for OMFV. The Army is telling prospective competitors to put it on their vehicles, and in press coverage it's among the most reported-on features. The "fallback option" to 30mm is seen as insurance against delays, the winning vehicle would need the ability to upgrade to XM913 once it and the budget were ready.
The Bar / Re: Re- Modern U.S. ICBM's ???
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 07:43:40 am »
With the probable ascension of Adam Smith to the chairmanship of the House Armed Services Committee, we can expect to see a screeching halt to both ICBM and tactical nuclear weapons programs.

I sure as hell hope not but democrats being democrats. . . At the very least I see them holding the programs hostage to try to get more entitlement dollars to pay off their base.
The Bar / Re: Argentine Sub Missing
« Last post by Moose on Today at 07:41:01 am »
At that depth, with the hull a mess, recovery would be very complex and expensive. Argentina would need someone to take the project pro bono, or at least to take a big chunk out of the cost, for it to happen. If a country wealthy enough and with enough technical skill wanted to improve their relations with Argentina that much, and wanted to use it as an excuse for training plus R&D, it could happen. But I'm pretty skeptical.
« Last post by Moose on Today at 07:32:51 am »
With the probable ascension of Adam Smith to the chairmanship of the House Armed Services Committee, we can expect to see a screeching halt to both ICBM and tactical nuclear weapons programs.
I doubt presumptive-chairman Smith could assemble the votes to kill GBSD. Curtail or slow, possibly, but not end it. The low-yield nuke fight would be easier for him, but his intentions toward either would have to survive the deal-making process with the Senate. If the Speaker and the Senate Minority Leader strike an agreement with their opposites from the other party as in the massive 2017 deal, he'll fall in line or at worst vote "no" on a bill that is clearly passing.
« Last post by Grey Havoc on Today at 07:03:42 am »
Aerospace / Re: Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic
« Last post by Hood on Today at 05:13:53 am »
Britain has committed to another 17 F-35Bs, bringing the total order so far to 35.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uk-confirms-new-deal-for-17-f-35bs-453689/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10