Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Bar / Re: The US Space Force
« Last post by fredymac on Today at 12:19:43 pm »

Actually, the US routinely asks lots of other nations to support all kinds of worldwide military endeavors with *their* troops (e.g. "coalition of the willing"). And although I am admittedly not really a huge fan of the current US administration, their stance on such efforts is actually one of the precious few policy topics that I concur with, so I am honestly absolutely mystified why you call my description thereof "antagonistic".

You are "absolutely mystified" about why anyone might think you are ill disposed not only towards the current administration in particular but probably the US in general.  I have my doubts.

Specific case in point.  The US still has thousands of troops in Germany.  According to you they constitute a force for aggression.  Should they not be relocated to a country that would welcome them.   Poland for example?  Yes they are still engaged in that "beyond the borders" thing but at least Germany is no longer contributing to evil.
« Last post by martinbayer on Today at 12:07:15 pm »
Quote from: Del
I really have a hard time with this conversation being something other than an attempt to twist words around and change their meanings in order to assign negative motives to others or smear with innuendo. Is there another interpretation here?

Quote from: martinbayer
...dreaming of dominating the world?

Theeeere it is. 

Okay. Got it. I was right then. This isn't an honest conversation. Nevermind, I'll bow out and let you project all the ill-intentions needed to make you feel better.

Oh, believe me - at least on my end this *is* an honest conversation, but of course I don't know about you...
« Last post by martinbayer on Today at 12:05:23 pm »

You are (either inadvertently or willfully) misrepresenting my position. I'd like to point out though that the current US administration seems to take a fairly dim view on global engagement as well.

Where is your post blaming any other country?  And then you follow up with yet another stab.

How many other countries have hundreds of military installations around the globe? And why do you consider merely stating the position of the current administration a "stab"?

How many other countries are asked to provide troops all over the world?  Your antagonistic descriptions of the current administration is what I challenge.

Actually, the US routinely asks lots of other nations to support all kinds of worldwide military endeavors with *their* troops (e.g. "coalition of the willing"). And although I am admittedly not really a huge fan of the current US administration, their stance on such efforts is actually one of the precious few policy topics that I concur with, so I am honestly absolutely mystified why you call my description thereof "antagonistic".
« Last post by _Del_ on Today at 11:59:10 am »
Quote from: Del
I really have a hard time with this conversation being something other than an attempt to twist words around and change their meanings in order to assign negative motives to others or smear with innuendo. Is there another interpretation here?

Quote from: martinbayer
...dreaming of dominating the world?

Theeeere it is. 

Okay. Got it. I was right then. This isn't an honest conversation. Nevermind, I'll bow out and let you project all the ill-intentions needed to make you feel better.
« Last post by fredymac on Today at 11:54:54 am »

You are (either inadvertently or willfully) misrepresenting my position. I'd like to point out though that the current US administration seems to take a fairly dim view on global engagement as well.

Where is your post blaming any other country?  And then you follow up with yet another stab.

How many other countries have hundreds of military installations around the globe? And why do you consider merely stating the position of the current administration a "stab"?

How many other countries are asked to provide troops all over the world?  Your antagonistic descriptions of the current administration is what I challenge.
« Last post by martinbayer on Today at 11:46:07 am »

How many other countries have hundreds of military installations around the globe?

I think what you mean is, "how many would if they could?"  The answer, of course, is pretty much all of them.

Really? Finland is secretly dreaming of dominating the world? Objection, conjecture...
Space Projects / Re: Stratolaunch
« Last post by steelpillow on Today at 11:25:22 am »
Can't help thinking that the parallel to draw is that Pegasus started out as a cheap idea that got expensive in real life, while Virgin Orbit started out as a cheap idea that will soon get expensive in real life.

Just another case of underestimating the structural penalties of carrying a loaded rocket horizontally.
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 11:18:32 am »

How many other countries have hundreds of military installations around the globe?

I think what you mean is, "how many would if they could?"  The answer, of course, is pretty much all of them.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: VTOL On Demand Mobility
« Last post by AeroFranz on Today at 11:15:42 am »
side note on stacked rotors (two on top of each other, driven by separate motors), be it for open or ducted rotors.
The stacked rotors are undeniably more compact, but unfortunately they don't decrease discloading (thus power required to hover) like individual rotors do. That is, what matters is the projected swept area of the rotors as seen from the top.

Additionally, the propellers have to be optimized to work together (i.e., the lower one is operating in the exhaust of the top one). So when one of the two motors goes out, the remaining propeller is  a) working with some sort of blockage from the stopped prop, regardless of whether it's upstream or downstream, and b) it no longer has the optimum twist since the flow conditions have changed drastically.
« Last post by martinbayer on Today at 11:05:19 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10