Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Naval Projects / Re: NSSN Virginia-class - current status and future
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 11:56:02 am »
https://news.usni.org/2018/10/19/analysis-of-navy-shipbuilding-plan-hints-at-return-to-blue-sea-great-power-competition?fbclid=IwAR0tKJVKVAQu-2OKocVkRG_6t9zKDX7JY3vZaZMqXdPy_39_SEZq64Y6Dn8

The Navy’s next class fast attack submarine will be designed for a return to blue-water great power competition, where the ability to support forces ashore is less important than operating in the open ocean hunting rival submarines, according to an analysis of the Navy’s 30 Year shipbuilding plan conducted by Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

The Navy plans to start purchasing this new class of submarine in 2034. Previously the SSN(X) class were assumed to be a successor to the current Virginia-class submarine, complete with the Virginia Payload Module (VPM) – a vertical launch system that increases the number of Tomahawk-sized weapons from 12 to 40 – and other acoustic and technological design improvements, according to the CBO analysis released Thursday.
The Bar / Re: The Right Stuff - For one day only
« Last post by CJGibson on Today at 11:49:44 am »
Aye, good job I've seen it before.

No intermission. I'm gonna need a bigger boat(le)

Chris
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Projects in Switzerland
« Last post by Kuno on Today at 11:15:30 am »
...I am focusing on the SB-2 at present. The target is to have its full story published in a little book in the first half of 2019... still a far way to go...
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Blohm und Voss P.185
« Last post by Kuno on Today at 11:10:20 am »
Good arguments!
Military / Re: F-22s may have been lost as a result of Hurricane Michael
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 11:03:51 am »
Idiotic!!!
Billions lost because they couldn't be loaded on a flatbed and trucked out of state??

Someone's ass should be fired. They knew perfectly well how serious the storm was.

Should have been trucked out of the area

An F-22 is 13 meters wide and 5 meters high. Moving something that big is a major operation that needs far more than 2 days of preparation: many roads don't have more than 5 meters clearance across and ~4.5 m in height.
Disassembling the aircraft to a road-transportable state could also easily take more than 2 days.

Just to put the size in perspective:

« Last post by sferrin on Today at 10:56:34 am »

Sferrin: I could have sworn there was a USAF offer to give up 500 F-35s for 100 more F-22s back when the F-22 line was still going.

Off the top of my head I don't recall anything like that. But I'm ready to be corrected, with sources.

Still looking for the specific article I'm thinking of but this one at least hints at it:

AvWeek 11/14/2005 page 27

"
« Last post by Hobbes on Today at 10:49:30 am »
Idiotic!!!
Billions lost because they couldn't be loaded on a flatbed and trucked out of state??

Someone's ass should be fired. They knew perfectly well how serious the storm was.

Should have been trucked out of the area

An F-22 is 13 meters wide and 5 meters high. Moving something that big is a major operation that needs far more than 2 days of preparation: many roads don't have more than 5 meters clearance across and ~4.5 m in height.
Disassembling the aircraft to a road-transportable state could also easily take more than 2 days.
The Bar / San Amerigo - my fictional state
« Last post by Archibald on Today at 10:12:44 am »
Zen thread about his fictional state reminded me of my own . created at the whatif modelers forum in 2006.

So welcome to San Amerigo.

San Amerigo, as the name entails, is set in South America. It shares a frontier with its arch-nemesis for centuries, Venecombia.

The border is made of two rivers: Rio Vinoblanco and Rio vinotinto, named of course because of the different colors of their waters (think of the Chinese rivers) - one red from iron deposites, the other more yellowish-brown.

The two countries have their origins in the Ketchupas, an indian tribe (exterminated by Conquistadors, of course) that thrieved on the tomato crop and even used the juice for their sacrifices, in place of human blood.

San Amerigo national anthem is Rodolfo y la tipica "Colegiala"
and of course the main export is coffee (to you, Nescafé. What else ?)

Venecombia national anthem is Guantanamera

Both countries hates each others but their air forces are, well, starved of funding. They used Breguet XIV and Avro 504 until 1937, and biplanes until 1948. Later Uncle Sam come to the rescue, as both countries faced a major communist insurgency. Infact the leftist groups split into two major factions, somewhat like the Spanish Civil War.
On one side was el Partido Unidario de los Trabajadores Anarquistas and the Confederacion Unidaria de los Libertadores Obrejos - which fought a bloody war and were ultimately crushed by the right-wing dictatorship of Adolfo Elcabron.

More on this later.
Propulsion / Re: DB021 turboprop
« Last post by kitnut617 on Today at 09:58:50 am »
All I can find. Some other modellers on other forums have just recently bought this conversion but had to contact the owner first.

https://www.facebook.com/PropJet-475396205882045/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10