Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
FORUM INDEX / Re: COMPANY: Vought (Chance Vought, LTV)
« Last post by Pioneer on Today at 01:09:03 pm »
V-464

1963 Amphibian XC-142A ASW tilt-wing transport planning study

Re reading this post, and can't help wonder what this ASW variant of the XC-142 would look like? Has you found anything in the archives Mark Nankivil?

Regards
Pioneet
Early Aircraft Projects / Re: Focke Wulf Fw 191
« Last post by hesham on Today at 08:00:03 am »
From the brochure.

Wow,very nice my dear Dan.
Just a couple of observations based on a trip to Kew yesterday.

Design process: The RN apparently evaluated 70 different designs ranging from 30-70,000 tons. They came to the conclusion that the bigger the ship the better as it would reduce the cost per embarked aircraft- there is even a snazzy little chart to sow the point. On top of that the RN seems to have been obsessed with being to able to cross deck (and put in the hangar) all but the biggest USN aircraft (including F-111B) which was a theme common with the 1952 effort. It is actually stated that the only reason the RN wasn't asking for a 70,000 ton ship was cost considerations.

Construction: In 1963, once the programme was reduced to three ships, it was planned to build the last two almost simultaneously, they would be ordered just 12 months apart, given the difficulties in finding a shipyard in the UK to build the first vessel its likely this would have put severe strain on the UK shipbuilding industry. I don't doubt that it could be done but it would have been a recipe for cost growth and delay.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Dassault Mirage G8A / ACF / Super Mirage
« Last post by thrax on Today at 07:29:43 am »
And the wingtip points right at Marcel Dassault himself (the man with the glasses, in the middle)

best 20th century French artist
Do you have any factory document or report regarding the Me P1099 night fighters?
Thank!
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Revised Posting Guidelines - PLEASE READ!
« Last post by iverson on Yesterday at 01:09:34 pm »
I agree that the "Various Dornier projects..." style of posting causes duplication and makes the forum harder to use overall. But I also understand the urge to create these types of post--They provoke some of our more interesting discussions. So perhaps we should try to accommodate the urge while still achieving the degree of separation desired? 

I suggest something like the following:

* Always create or use an existing, narrowly defined subject topic to describe a specific project in detail ("Gloster P.248 F.43/46 single-seat interceptor with 4.5-in recoilless gun", "Lockheed CL-1400 A-X contender").

* As needed, create/update broad, collation topics that provide links to the narrow topics, while allowing discussion ("Gloster fighter projects", "UK Interceptor projects 1945-55", "Projects to Specification F.43/46", "A-X Contenders", "USAF Close-Support projects").

The broad topics could go in the existing index section (perhaps renamed to make its use more intuitive, since it isn't a true index) or they could go in the existing historical/subject categories with a standard keyword in the subject line ("SURVEY", "GENERAL", or some some such). Personally, I think they would be most useful within the historical/subject categories. The index section could then be turned into something more like a true index.

Either way, the posting rule should be "create as many broad topics as you want PROVIDED that each individual project is in a separate linked topic."

« Last post by Archibald on Yesterday at 09:26:42 am »
And the wingtip points right at Marcel Dassault himself (the man with the glasses, in the middle)
« Last post by newsdeskdan on Yesterday at 09:16:06 am »
From the brochure.
« Last post by lucamax on Yesterday at 08:44:02 am »
Dear Friends,
here I post a model of the Fw 191 (source: War Planes of the Second World War, Green, Vol 9) and a 3-view of the Fw 191C (Source, Die Deutsche Luftrustung 1933 - 1945, Nowarra, Vol. 2).
Regards.

« Last post by hesham on Yesterday at 08:20:12 am »
From le Fana 3/2018.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10