Register here

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/05/21/expert-china-navy-double-us-2030/

China’s navy is on track to be double the size of the United States’ by 2030, which puts U.S. interests at risk in the Asia Pacific and around the world, a U.S. military expert testified at a recent congressional hearing.

“The future size of the [People’s Liberation Army] Navy will be about 550 warships and submarines by 2030. That is twice the size of today’s U.S. Navy,” said Retired U.S. Navy Capt. James Fanell at a House Intelligence Committee hearing on Thursday.
Military / Re: Nuclear Weapons NEWS ONLY
« Last post by TomS on Today at 08:18:52 am »
"Pentagon officials are telling some pretty tall tales"  well that sounds objective.

It's in the opinion section.
Postwar Aircraft Projects / Re: Interesting escape concepts.
« Last post by riggerrob on Today at 08:02:18 am »
Please have you informations about this Shuttle Mk II concept? It seems to have an aerodynamic reentry escape capsule.

———————————————————————————

When (September 28, 1986) Space Shuttle Mark I “Challenger” exploded shortly after lift-off, NASA started developing a new escape system. Shuttle crews wore special harnesses and slid outboard along a curved pole. Once past the end of the pole, they would deploy conventional back type Pilot Emergency Parachutes. That system would only work when stable, power off and within the earth’s atmosphere.
I was asked to sew prototype harnesses. I read the drawings, but we never got the “go ahead” for sewing prototypes.
The Bar / Re: Global Military Spending - NEWS ONLY
« Last post by bobbymike on Today at 07:41:17 am »
https://breakingdefense.com/2018/05/us-defense-budget-not-that-much-bigger-than-china-russia-gen-milley/?_ga=2.138298294.746269865.1526982541-799951594.1526890807

WASHINGTON: It’s become a commonplace to say the US spends much more on defense than any other country — but what if that’s not exactly true? Inspired by something Army Chief of Staff Mark Milley said to the Senate, I pulled together some numbers that suggest America’s superior spending power erodes dramatically when you compare actual purchasing power. Once you factor in how much the US military spends on pay and benefits for uniformed and civilian personnel — almost half the budget by some measures — as opposed to weapons, operations, and training, then China’s defense budget may actually be bigger.

We aren’t econometricians here at Breaking Defense, so our methodology is admittedly very rough. What we are good at is listening to Pentagon and Hill leaders very carefully, and I was struck by an exchange last week at a hearing of the Senate appropriations subcommittee on defense.
Aerospace / Re: NASA span wise adaptive wing
« Last post by hesham on Today at 07:33:56 am »
By the way,

my design was a military transport,could carry overload,and the broken wings help
in avoiding problems at takeoff and landing.
Military / Re: Nuclear Weapons NEWS ONLY
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 07:11:38 am »
"Pentagon officials are telling some pretty tall tales"  well that sounds objective.
Aerospace / Re: Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 07:09:46 am »
Oh look, journalists crying about not being able to generate clickbait titles and faux outrage because they don't have any dollar numbers. 
Aerospace / Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Last post by sferrin on Today at 07:08:06 am »
Had the state of tech been so low that designers told PLAAF "We can't achieve what you're asking for, not even close" then PLAAF wouldn't have invested in futile development effort, preferring to spend its budget on more stuff that actually worked as requested.

Not necessarily.  You'll never get an honest to god stealth aircraft by quitting. 
Aerospace / Re: Chengdu J-20 news, pictures, analysis Part III
« Last post by Deino on Today at 07:01:14 am »
"I would even go a bit further... My point is that so far no J-20A ever deployed to that area, so from what event should the IAF get these radar emissions and should have had an option to track a J-20 with an MKI or a ground station?? "

It is very likely that J-20 has been detected by IAF assets: The PLA has deployed the J-20 to Tibet for testing.  Tibet is located such that J-20s flying their test program from Daocheng Yading Airport (DCY)could easily be located by Indian AWACs and maybe even Su-27's patrolling along the border. Further, it should be recalled that J-20 does not offer all aspect stealth and from certain quarters the J-20 is very detectable.

"China is apparently in the process of testing out the Chengdu J-20, the country’s first ever fifth-generation stealth fighter, in the Tibetan mountains"

https://tacairnet.com/2016/09/08/china-has-been-secretly-testing-its-j-20-stealth-fighter-in-tibet/

Just tow points to consider:

1. You know that was a prototype briefly deployed during high altitude and cold weather testing at Daocheng Yading Airport and so they most likely were fitted with Luneburg-lenses as we've seen them most often esp. when operating from civilian bases.

2. Even if officially located in the Garzę Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Sichuan province, China, it is not what most Indians rate as Tibet... Therefore I'm not sure - and the report itself is more than vague too - what Indian radar assets were right that moment close enough to monitor: The report itself only claims: could probably ... but surely not there was !

IMO again that report hypes things that are most unlikely ever happened ... the whole report is a piece of BS.
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/why-the-navys-new-destroyer-could-be-total-game-changer-25905

DDG 51 Flight III destroyers are expected to expand upon a promising new ship-based weapons system technology fire-control system, called Naval Integrated Fire Control – Counter Air, or NIFC-CA.

The Navy has now started construction on a first-of-its-kind new surface warfare destroyer armed with improved weapons, advanced sensors and new radar 35-times more sensitive than most current systems, service officials announced.

Construction of the first DDG-51 Arleigh Burke-class Flight III Destroyer is part of a sweeping Navy and Pentagon effort to speed up delivery of new warships and expand the surface fleet to 355 ships on an accelerated timeframe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10