Register here

Author Topic: US Prompt Global Strike Capability  (Read 237755 times)

Offline Moose

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: US Prompt Global Strike Capability
« Reply #915 on: May 09, 2018, 07:50:06 am »
"defense authorization bill includes provisions that aim to tighten congressional oversight of the Conventional Prompt Strike program"

Great.  Just what we need; more political empire-building, interference, and grandstanding.
I mean, why should the white house have all the fun?

Offline sferrin

« Reply #916 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:39 am »
"defense authorization bill includes provisions that aim to tighten congressional oversight of the Conventional Prompt Strike program"

Great.  Just what we need; more political empire-building, interference, and grandstanding.

You know he's going to win in 2020 right?
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Moose

« Reply #917 on: May 09, 2018, 09:13:34 pm »

You know he's going to win in 2020 right?
Anything to own teh libs.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #918 on: May 10, 2018, 02:41:39 am »
The Congress (and not the WH) controls the purse strings so if they have taken a fancy to the CPGS effort and want to add more scrutiny there is really nothing that can be done about it. Same applies to them adding back funds on JSTARS and other efforts that go against what the service concerned is pushing. But the Congress can look a lot different come 2019 and so can the committees and this is what I fear the most and why I hate the added layer of congressional control on some pet programs. I'd much rather they stick to working to get rid of the sequester and operate within the normal oversight roles, rather than taking on efforts like CPGS but then that's just me..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:25:35 am by bring_it_on »
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline sferrin

« Reply #919 on: May 10, 2018, 04:54:32 am »
The Congress (and not the WH) controls the purse strings so if they have taken a fancy to the CPGS effort and want to add more scrutiny there is really nothing that can be done about it. Same applies to them adding back funds on JSTARS and other efforts that go against what the service concerned is pushing. But the Congress can look a lot different come 2019 and so can the committees and this is what I fear the most and why I hate the added layer of congressional control on some pet programs. I'd much rather they stick to working to get rid of the sequester and operate within the normal oversight roles, rather than taking on efforts like CPGS but then that's just me..

I'd thought they got rid of sequestration idiocy?  That needs to go. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:57:49 am by sferrin »

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #920 on: May 10, 2018, 06:37:47 am »
No they just agreed to a two year deal. The Caps will be in place again in FY20 until the BCA is repealed. I believe FY20 and FY21 will see sequestration (as part of the 10 year BCA ) unless another deal is negotiated.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #921 on: May 10, 2018, 07:13:47 am »
Like when Bush 43 wanted RNEP, RRW and ACI nuke programs and Congress [Republican committee even  :'(] said nope.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #922 on: May 11, 2018, 07:30:06 am »
National Hypersonics Initiative

The committee is aware of a National Hypersonics Initiative under
development by the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, in
conjunction with the military services, defense labs, and the Defense Advanced
Research Projects Agency. The committee recognizes the growing amount of
resources and emphasis placed by the Department of Defense on the research and
development of hypersonic vehicle technology. The committee supports the
development of a National Hypersonics Initiative, and believes it is prudent and consistent with the roles and responsibilities granted to the Department’s Joint Hypersonics Transition Office as authorized in the National Defense Authorization
Act of 2018 (Public Law 115-91).
Therefore, the committee directs the Under Secretary of Defense for
Research and Engineering to provide a briefing to the House Committee on Armed
Services not later than September 15, 2018, on the status of the National
Hypersonics Initiative

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #923 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:56 am »
OpFires
PROGRAM OBJECTIVE AND DESCRIPTION:

The objective of the OpFires program is to develop and demonstrate a novel groundlaunched
system enabling advanced weapons to penetrate modern enemy air defenses
and rapidly and precisely engage critical time sensitive targets. DARPA seeks to develop
an advanced booster capable of delivering a variety of payloads at a variety of ranges.
OpFires will focus on the development of innovative propulsion to maximize the
operational range envelope of the system and adapt to a variety of potential payloads.
The program plans to conduct a series of subsystem tests designed to evaluate
component design and system compatibility, and assess the value of innovative
propulsion system concepts. It is planned to culminate in an integrated end-to-end flight
test campaign following integration with a compatible mobile ground launch platform.
The OpFires program includes two separate and successive tasks, the Propulsion System
task and the Weapon System Integration task. Each task will have a separate BAA. This
Proposers Day and associated BAA will encompass the Propulsion System task. The
Propulsion System task will focus on developing and demonstrating innovative
propulsion concepts for flexible-range boosters and will be conducted in two phases.
Phase 1 will include propulsion system preliminary design and proof of concept testing
to demonstrate key elements of the propulsion system design. Phase 2 is anticipated to
mature designs to critical design level and conduct hot/static fires of at least two
representative test articles.
A BAA for the Weapon System Integration task is planned for release in FY 2019.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #924 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:14 pm »
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2018/5/15/air-force-planning-hypersonic-flight-tests-over-next-two-years

The Air Force is gearing up for hypersonic tests as the Defense Department seeks to keep pace with China and Russia, Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski said May 15.

The Air Force Materiel Command commander said the service has been working collaboratively with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on efforts to develop new missile technologies that travel faster than Mach 5 — or five times the speed of sound — and at least two flight tests are currently scheduled in support of those efforts “within the next couple of years.”

The service has been hard at work understanding and developing hypersonic missiles and flight vehicles, Pawlikowski told reporters at a media breakfast in Washington, D.C. Russia and China have touted their own recent tests, prompting Pentagon officials and U.S. lawmakers to express concern about falling behind peer adversaries.

The Air Force is also investing in ground testing to develop hypersonic technology. It is revitalizing test centers at the Arnold Engineering Development Complex at Arnold Air Force Base, Tennessee, that will help the service gather important information from ground tests and reduce the need for risky and relatively costly flight demonstrations, she said.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #925 on: June 06, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lack-of-funds-causes-usaf-to-skip-hypersonic-cruise-449192/

The US Air Force skipped a more extensive competition for its nearly $1 billion hypersonic cruise missile development contract due to lack of available funds to pay multiple sources to develop alternative prototypes, according to a newly-released government document.

The move is a departure from normal Department of Defense policy on most advanced weapons development programmes.

Denver-based Lockheed Martin Space Systems won the indefinite-delivery and indefinite quantity award worth up to $928 million to develop a hypersonic cruise missile in April 2018.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline seruriermarshal

« Reply #926 on: June 06, 2018, 11:57:21 pm »
 ;D

HIFiRE 7 payload

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #927 on: June 12, 2018, 06:51:51 am »
https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/features/hypersonic-weapons-race/

Even before Russian President Vladimir Putin’s saber rattling this year about high-speed weapons, the U.S. was laying plans to sharpen its focus on hypersonic weapons, motivated mainly by China’s ambitious research and weapons tests. The Trump Pentagon wants to put this new focus in place in the 2019 budget.

Chinese researchers have been publishing technical papers at a blistering pace about their fundamental research into hypersonic flight, loosely defined as maneuvering in the atmosphere at speeds above 6,000 kph. Flying faster than Mach 5 could be a handy way to travel, but for the leaders in this field — China, Russia and the U.S. — the emphasis has shifted to weapons. At least some of China’s research appears to be headed in that direction, based on references to missiles in the published papers, although my inquiries to the Chinese Embassy’s press office about the purpose of this research went unreturned. The Pentagon reported to Congress earlier this year that China has conducted 20 times as many hypersonic flight tests as the U.S. The most noteworthy recent test was in November, when China flew a new hypersonic missile, the DF-17, capable of flying 1,800 to 2,500 kilometers, as first reported by The Diplomat website.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Airplane

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #928 on: June 19, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »

Even before Russian President Vladimir Putin’s saber rattling this year about high-speed weapons, the U.S. was laying plans to sharpen its focus on hypersonic weapons, motivated mainly by China’s ambitious research and weapons tests. The Trump Pentagon wants to put this new focus in place in the 2019 budget.

Chinese researchers have been publishing technical papers at a blistering pace about their fundamental research into hypersonic flight, loosely defined as maneuvering in the atmosphere at speeds above 6,000 kph. Flying faster than Mach 5 could be a handy way to travel, but for the leaders in this field — China, Russia and the U.S. — the emphasis has shifted to weapons. At least some of China’s research appears to be headed in that direction, based on references to missiles in the published papers, although my inquiries to the Chinese Embassy’s press office about the purpose of this research went unreturned. The Pentagon reported to Congress earlier this year that China has conducted 20 times as many hypersonic flight tests as the U.S. The most noteworthy recent test was in November, when China flew a new hypersonic missile, the DF-17, capable of flying 1,800 to 2,500 kilometers, as first reported by The Diplomat website.

The US has flown FAR more hypersonic flights than China... By a GREAT deal.
"The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”
– General George S. Patton

Offline sferrin

« Reply #929 on: June 20, 2018, 02:41:42 am »

The US has flown FAR more hypersonic flights than China... By a GREAT deal.

Not in recent history.