AM

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi all

(from Putnam)

Attachments

• Miles.doc
    243 KB · Views: 142
Thanks Alexei for sharing this! The ironic thing about it is I did about exactly the same chart last week, using the same source... I should have waited some more... LOL!

Please note that:
- A second M.12 Mohawk airframe was started and received a registration, but it was never completed.
- M.26 refered collectively to all the X-numbered blended-wing transport projects, of which only X.2, X.3, X.7, X.11 and X.14 are known.
- M.76 does not actually refer to the glider but to the Durestos wings that Miles was supposed to fit to an existing Kendall K.1 Crabpot I airframe.
- M.114 and M.115 were the original Miles designations for what became the Beagle-Miles M.117 and M.218. I don't think "M.118" actually existed.

Skyblazer said:
M.26 refered collectively to all the X-numbered blended-wing transport projects, of which only X.2, X.3, X.7, X.11 and X.14 are known.

Just quoting myself after many years to correct a slight mistake I made: the designation M.26 covered MOST of the X. projects series, but not the earlier X.2, which fits chronologically approximately between the M.12 and M.13, just like the first, undesignated Marathon project.

Help! I am in the process of moving and won't have access to my airplane books for a few months yet. IIRC, there was a late or post WWII proposal from Miles for a two-seat trainer based on the M.38 Messenger. Basically, the rear seats were deleted, a smaller engine was used, and the big flaps were deleted, so the landing speed went up to the point the the center fin was no longer necessary and was deleted. Ditto the long-travel, high-stance landing gear. I believe it was the M.74 and the result was much like a simpler, fixed-gear M.28 Mercury, from which the Messenger had been developed in the first plaece. Can anyone 1) confirm that M.74 designation and 2) provide an image of any kind, even just a camera phone pic from the Putnam Miles Aircraft since 1925 book? Thanks!

Here you go, from Putnam's 'Miles'...

What exotic location are you moving to this time...?

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• MILES 1.jpg
    MILES 1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 230
  • MILES 3.jpg
    MILES 3.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 231
  • MILES M.74.jpg
    MILES M.74.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 231
  • MILES M.74 3-VIEW.jpg
    MILES M.74 3-VIEW.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 219
Skyblazer said:
- M.76 does not actually refer to the glider but to the Durestos wings that Miles was supposed to fit to an existing Kendall K.1 Crabpot I airframe.

Seeing this again reminded me that I have some information on the M.76 glider wing. From 'British Sailplanes and Gliders', N.H.Ellison. 1970, pp.138-9 :-

"The wing material was altered and it was decided to manufacture it using an
asbestos reinforced low pressure thermo setting plastic structure, a method
that involved the use of heated concrete moulds and tailored felts. The wing
was manufactured by F. G. Miles Ltd. at Redhill Aerodrome, under the
designation Miles M.76
, but, when tested, it broke up at a fraction of the design
load." (my bold)

I've started a separate thread to post the full Crabpot information in . . .

cheers,
Robin.

About a month ago I was looking for info on the efforts by Miles Aircraft to sell the M.38 Messenger to the Royal Navy as a light anti-submarine aircraft for merchant convoys. I came across this neat entry over at the Smithsonian NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...ner-royal-navy-anti-submarine-patrol-aircraft. Intrigued, I dashed off a quick online reference request and promptly forgot about it.

To my surprise, last week I received a nice note from an NASM archivist and a clear photocopy of the entire brochure submitted by Miles back in 1944. I have to upload the PDF in monochrome to keep the file size down, so here are scans of just the drawings as well.

Especially interesting to me are the details of the catapult arrangement, the proposed skid landing gear, and what I believe are drawings of three versions of the airborne observation post (A.O.P.) version of the M.38 Messenger with extended glazing, single fin/rudder with endplates on the horizontal stabilizer, and three possible engine options (Cirrus Major, Lycoming O-435, Warner Super Scarab).

Enjoy!

Miles Mariner 1.jpg Miles Mariner 2.jpg Miles Mariner 3.jpg

Attachments

• Miles Mariner brochure (1944) B&W.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 58
About a month ago I was looking for info on the efforts by Miles Aircraft to sell the M.38 Messenger to the Royal Navy as a light anti-submarine aircraft for merchant convoys. I came across this neat entry over at the Smithsonian NASM: https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...ner-royal-navy-anti-submarine-patrol-aircraft. Intrigued, I dashed off a quick online reference request and promptly forgot about it.

To my surprise, last week I received a nice note from an NASM archivist and a clear photocopy of the entire brochure submitted by Miles back in 1944. I have to upload the PDF in monochrome to keep the file size down, so here are scans of just the drawings as well.

Especially interesting to me are the details of the catapult arrangement, the proposed skid landing gear, and what I believe are drawings of three versions of the airborne observation post (A.O.P.) version of the M.38 Messenger with extended glazing, single fin/rudder with endplates on the horizontal stabilizer, and three possible engine options (Cirrus Major, Lycoming O-435, Warner Super Scarab).

Enjoy!

View attachment 614612View attachment 614613View attachment 614614 616577
I found this patent application which supports the original brochure.

Patent GB578440 issued to George Miles and Phillips & Powis if anyone wants to read the full thing

I've decide to post my Miles lists. Hughly based on all of the above but perhaps with a few new bits. As always, correction and (especially) additions are very welcome.

Miles and miles of Miles ...

The Miles 'M' designations will be listed below in numerical order (separated into a few manageable chunks). I have taken some liberties. Although some designs might be better-known with other designation prefixes, here I first list them as 'M' designations. So, for example, the HDM.105 (for 'Hurel-Dubois-Miles') is simply listed as the M.105.

An even greater liberty has been taken with the Miles-Wallis Agile. Although Ken Wallis' gyrocopter was universally known as the WA-116, I have listed it as the M.116. The 1961 timing is right and the M.116 number was 'missing'. Beyond that, I have no excuse for my assertion :p

The designations surround the Miles designs leading to the 'Beagle-Miles' series are confusing. Contemporary brochures might use M.118 and B.118 in the same publication. Some claim that the M.118 designation never really existed (despite those brochures) and that the real designation was B.218. My leaning is that the M.118 designation was applied but quickly eclipsed by the marketing department's 'B.218'. And that makes a kind of sense. Had a 'B.117' been built, Beagle would have had its 1-engined tourer. Meanwhile, the M.118 twin - as the ;B.218' - became their 2-engined executive aircraft.

Following the 'M' designations listings will be Miles 'L.R.' designations. All of these designs emerged from the Miles Experimental Department on Liverpool Road in Reading, Berks. AFAIK, there were only five 'L.R.' designations applied. These were presumably 'working' designations since the 'L.R.' numbers are later replaced with designations within the 'M' sequence.

Following those 'LR' designations list will be the Miles 'X' designations. These sequence is fairly well known - running from X.2 to X.15 - but I can find no sign whatever of an 'X.1'. The 'X' sequence also seem to have been 'working' designations. A few of the 'X' designations fit within the M.26 sequence ... but the majority of these 'X' concepts don't seem to have proceeded far enough to warrant being assigned counterpart 'M' designations.

There are an array of undesignated Miles concepts which do not fit here in the Designation Systems section. Some just got descriptions - like the Libellula-type twin-engined 'Glider Tug'. Others were named - the 1941-43 Hoopla flying bomb being my favorite. Likely included in this latter category was the shipboard Mariner mini-ASW aircraft project. At least, that's my guess. True, the designation M.38A was applied to the demonstrator but proposed developments introduced different engine types and other changes. If other 'M.38x' designations were applied, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

First, I've done up a corporate involvement summary (mainly because some of the online dates wobbled about enough to make me giddy). I have read that F.G. Miles Ltd. existed in some form before Miles took on the M.1 project for Parnall. That is possible but I find it improbable (and have omitted any mention of the firm prior to the 1943 name-change.) Because even contemporary sources apply 'Miles' to all designs, I've made no attempt to match inidvidual 'M' designations to corporate entities. By and large, the dates of projects reveal their connection to Phillips & Powis, Miles Aircraft, F.G. Miles Ltd., Beagle-Miles, etc. That said, at the end of the day, 'M' is for Miles

F.G. Miles, George Miles, and their Corporate Connections

1929 - Phillips & Powis Aircraft (Reading) Ltd., Woodley, Berks [1]
-- Jack Phillips & Charles Powis, for aero-club & a/c repairs
-- Initiated aircraft constr. for F.G. Miles' proposed M.2

1932 - F.G. Miles commissioned to build aerobatic biplane
- by George Parnall and Company, Yate, Gloucestershire [2]

1935 - Phillips & Powis Aircraft Ltd., name change

1936 - Rolls-Royce Limited bought shares in Phillips & Powis

1941 - F.G. Miles buys out Rolls-Royce's Phillips & Powis shares

1943 - Oct., Miles Aircraft Ltd., Woodley, DBA-style name change

1943 - Miles Aeronautical Technical School opened in Reading
- School taken over by the Reading Technical College in 1948

1947 - Miles Aircraft Ltd. entered receivership
- Aircraft design/manufacture ended by receivership Board of Directors

1948 - F.G. Miles Ltd., established at Redhill, Surrey [3]
- Some sources give 1949 or even 1951 as F.G. Miles Ltd. estab. date

1949 - Western Manufacturing Estate Ltd., Actuator Division, Woodley
- A bankruptcy spin-off operating as "formerly Miles Aircraft Ltd."

1952 - F.G. Miles Ltd., relocated to Shoreham, Sussex [4]
- George H. Miles joins the firm as technical director

1953 - F.G. and George Miles set up as consultants based as Shoreham
- F.G. Miles Ltd seems to have continued but was largely inactive

1956 - Miles Structural Plastics* subsidiary formed
- Date may suggest the Plastics Division left Redhill in 1956
- *Later Miles Group's Miles Marine and Structural Plastics Ltd.

1956 - Origin of British Executive & General Aviation Limited

1960 - British Executive & General Aviation Limited ('BEAGLE')
- Formed by car-body maker Pressed Steel Company Limited [5]
- Beagle moved to take over F.G. Miles Ltd. in Oct. 1960

1961 - Feb., Beagle-Miles Ltd., still at Shoreham, Sussex [6]
- Auster Aircraft Ltd., Rearsby, Leics., absorbed at same time

1961 - June, Beagle Aircraft Ltd. unites all three components
- F.G. Miles Ltd., Auster Aircraft Ltd., and 'BEAGLE'
-- 'Beagle-Miles' and 'Beagle-Auster' become temp. brands

1963 - Miles Aviation and Transport (R&D) Ltd, Ford Aerodrome, Sussex [7]
- Formed by George Miles after he resigned as Beagle chief engineer
- George was also director of Miles Marine & Structural Plastics Ltd.

1969 - After collapse of Beagle, F.G.'s Miles Group continues at Shoreham
- F.G. Miles Engineering , Miles Electronics, Miles Hivolt, Miles Marine and Structural Plastics Ltd.

1970 - Miles Aviation and Transport (R&D) Ltd bids on Beagle (Shoreham)
- Receiver declined offer, Beagle failed to sell, assets disposed of

[1] As those double names suggests, Woodley is a suburb of Reading. The area was originally known as 'the Hundred Acre Field'. The Philips & Powis School of Flying School dated to 1929 - the year that the field was officially opened as a municipal aerodrome. During the 1930s, the grass field was known mainly as Woodley aerodrome. RAF flight training began in 1935 (as RAF Woodley). During WW2, the field became RAF Reading. After the war, it was referred to again as Woodley aerodrome.

Trivia: On 14 Dec 1931, Plt Off D.R.G. Bader crashed his Bristol Bulldog Mk.IIA at Woodley aerodrome. Bulldog K1676 was written off and Douglas Bader lost his legs in the crash.

Some sources say that Woodley field was closed c.1953 (and perhaps they meant closed to general aviation). Miles was, of course, taken over as Handley Page (Reading) Ltd. The latter continued to build HPR.7 Dart-Heralds at Woodley between 1959 and 1968 (the prototype turboprop conversion having first flown from Woodley on 11 March 1958).

[2] Yate may sound like its in the middle of nowhere but, actually, its only a few miles from Bristol.

[3] Redhill aerodrome had been Imperial Airways' alternative airfield for nearby Croydon. During WW2 it operated as a fighter airfield. Once surplus WW2 RAF bombs were removed from the site, Redhill was used as a maintenance base by British Air Transport Ltd. (1947-1949). Dates are sketchy on the establishment of F.G. Miles Ltd. but most elements were moved to Shoreham by 1952 (although the Plastics Division seemingly remained at Redhill for a while).

[4] More properly Shoreham-by-Sea, a small Sussex port (between Worthing and Brighton).

[5] Coach-maker Pressed Steel Company Limited had been formed at Cowley near Oxford in 1926.

[6] Such short-lived company names are a challenge to track. That would be much easier if Companies House had an archived register (hint, hint). At present, that register informs us that 'Beagle Aircraft Ltd.' was formed in Dorset on 10 Jan 2020

[7] Ford is about 10 miles west of Worthing. The site had been RAF Ford before becoming RNAS Ford (HMS Peregrine) until late 1958. Thereafter it became a civilian field (until flying ceased in 1980).

Last edited:
Miles 'M' Series Aircraft Designations - M.1 to M.29

M.1 -- Satyr 1932 single-seat aerobatic biplane
- M.1: Wooden single-bay biplane designed for Parnall
- M.1: 1 x 75 hp Pobjoy R 7-cyl. radial, span 6.40 m
- M.1: Designed by Frederick G. and 'Blossom' Miles [1]
-- 1 x built (G-ABVG), w/o 01 Aug 1936, Kastrup, DK
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user18305/Miles_M.1_Satyr-01-06-680x546.jpg

M.2 -- Hawk 1933 2-seat tandem light monoplane, x 55
- M.2 : 1 x 95 hp A.D.C. Cirrus IIIA, span 10.06 m
- M.2A: Enclosed cockpit vers., 1 x DH Gipsy III, x 47
-- M.2A: G-ACLI (c/n 14) fitted with 120 hp Gipsy III
- M.2B: Single-seat long-range, A.D.C Cirrus Hermes IV
-- M.2B: 1933 x 1, G-ACKW, VT-AES (1934) w/o Griselles, France
-- https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/203066
- M.2C: M.2 re-engined with 120 hp DH Gipsy III, x 1M
-- M.2C: G.ACOB (c/n 19), to France as F-AMZW in May 1934
- M.2D: 3-seat vers., 95 hp A.D.C. Cirrus IIIA, x 6
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/JS/Janes/vol4/183-1.jpg
- M.2E: Hawk Speed Six, 1 x DH Gipsy Six III, x 1
-- M.2E: Single-seat Hawk Major-based racer, G-ACTE
- M.2F: Hawk Major, 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major, x 16
-- M.2F: Revised cowling/fuselage, single-strut trousered u/c
- M.2G: Oct. 1934 3-seat cabin variant, G-ACYB/Swiss HB-OAS
- M.2H: Hawk Major, 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major
-- M.2H: M.2F devel. fitted with trailing edge flaps, x 39
- M.2K: Hawk Major, 1 x 105 hp Cirrus Hermes II
- M.2L: Hawk Speed Six, 1 x DH Gipsy Six III, x 1
-- M.2L: Single-seat w/ sliding 'bubble' canopy hood, G-ADGP
-- https://www.airteamimages.com/pics/348/348161_800.jpg
- M.2M: 1935 3-seater (front cockpit open, 2 pax rear encl.)
-- M.2M: x 2, 1 to Norway as LN-BAH, w/o 10 Dec 1934, Kjeller
-- https://www.airhistory.net/photos/0138329.jpg
- M.2N: Sept 1935, x
- M.2P: June 1935 2-seater, enlarged cockpit & wing, x 3
-- M.2P: Increased wing area, dual-controls fitted
- M.2R: Hawk Major de Luxe enlarged wing from M.2P, x 1
-- M.2R: Re-eng. w/ Mescano Pirate C IV for comp. trials
- M.2S: Aug 1935 single-seat distance a/c, x 1, G-ADLH
-- M.2S: 1 x 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major 4-cyl.
- M.2T: Single-seat longer-range vers. of M.2S, x 2
- M.2U: Hawk Speed Six racer, DH Gipsy Six R, x 1
-- M.2U: Single-seat, cockpit canopy, spat-like u/c trousers
- M.2W: Oct 1935 Hawk Trainer, initial prod'n, x 4
-- M.2W: 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major, span 10.36 m
-- M.2W: Military trainer, M.2P wings, parachute seats
- M.2X: Hawk Trainer, M.2W w/ revised tail/rudder, x 9
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/FT/FT1937/03/687-2.jpg
- M.2Y: Hawk Trainer, M.2X w/ minor changes, x 13

M.3 - 1934 Falcon/Falcon Six light cabin aircraft, x 33
- M.3 : Prototype, 3-seater G-ACTM 1st flew 12 Oct 1934, x 1
- M.3A: Falcon 4-seat production variant, x 18
- M.3A: 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Major, span 10.67 m
- M.3B: Falcon Six, 3-seat production vers., x 11
- M.3B: 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Major, span 10.67 m
- M.3C: Falcon Six dual-control 4-seat M.3B, x 1
- M.3D: Falcon Six stronger airframe devel. of M.3B
-- M.3D: 3 x new-builds plus 1 x rebuilt from M.3B airframe
- M.3E: Falcon Six DH Gipsy Six-powered, x 1
- M.3F: M.3B (ex-G-AEAO/ex-PH-EAO) w/ modified Fairey wing
- M.3F: DH Gipsy VI, R4071 to RAE spoiler trials 1937-1939
- 'Gillette Falcon' L9075 mod. to test M.52 features*
-- * This included M.52-style wings and 'all-flying' tail
-- Low-speed flight tests carried out at RAE, April 1945
-- 'https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/gillette_falcon.htm

M.4 -- 1935 Merlin 5-seat light cabin aircraft, x 4
- M.4 : Begun as 5-seat M.3 Falcon development*
-- * By comparison, w/ wider fuselage & increased span
- M.4 : (Project) As planned, variable-pitch propeller
- M.4A: As built; with wooden, fixed-pitch propellers
- M.4A: Prototype U-8/G-ADFE (c/n 151) flew 11 May 1935
- M.4A: 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 11.28 m
-- Devel. as air taxi in concert w/ Birkett Air Service
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles-M.4-03-680x576.JPG

M.5 -- 1935 Sparrowhawk single-seat racing a/c, x 6
- M.5 : Reduced-scale, single-seat M.2 Hawk devel.*
-- * Shortened fuselage, reduced span, wider u/c track
- M.5 : Prototype, devel. for the 1935 King's Cup Race
- M.5 : Prototype, 1 x 147 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 10.67 m
- M.5A: Prod'n version employing mod. M.2H fuselages, x 5
- M.5A: 1 x 145 hp** DH Gipsy Major II, span 10.67 m
-- ** Orig. 130 hp Gipsy Major I, then 145 hp II
-- c/n 264 G-ADWW/NC191M fitted with 'blown' cockpit canopy
-- c/n 275 G-AELT/ZS-ANO fitted with framed cockpit canopy
-- Exper'l flaps: U3, deep-chord, slide back on curved guides
-- Exper'l flaps: U5, 45% span, double-acting flap inst'n
-- Exper'l flaps: U5, full-span, double-acting flap inst'n
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/sparrowhawk.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles-M.5-05-680x580.JPG
- M.77: M.5 mod. as jet-powered Sparrowjet racer

M.6 -- 1935 Hawcon experimental monoplane, x 1
- M.6: Thick-wing section* research a/c for the RAE
- M.6: 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 12.00 m
-- * K5925 had 4 swapable wing sets - 'A' through 'D'
-- Hawcon combined M.2 and M.3 components**
-- ** Name derived from Hawk & Falcon
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles-M.6-03-680x470.JPG

M.7 -- 1935 Nighthawk communications/trainer, x 6
- M.7 : PV M.3D devel. intended for military training*
- M.7 : 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 10.67 m
-- * Duties incl. night-flying training, hence the name
- M.7 : Prototype G-ADXA crashed Jan 1937 during trials
- M.7 : Prod'n vers., x 5 (L6846 VIP w/ No.24 Sqn, RAF)
-- Devel. into the M.16 Mentor for AM Spec. 38/37
- M.7A: 1944 rebuild M.7 fuselage fitted w/ M.12 wings
- M.7A: 1 x 205 hp DH Gipsy Six II, v-p propeller
-- M.7A U-0225/G-AGWT/VP-KMM (c/n 286), x 1 conversion
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/M-7 Nighthawk_Putnam 3-view-680x616.jpg

M.8 -- Peregrine 1936 twin-engined light transport
- M.8: Low-wing 2+8 pax transport, retract. main u/c
- M.8: 2 x 205 hp DH Gipsy Six II, span 14.02 m
-- Prototype U-9/G-AEDE, no prod. due to M.14 urgency
- M.8: 2nd protoype, L6346 (c/n 485), RAE flying lab*
- M.8: 2nd, 2 x 290 hp Menasco Buccaneer B6S 6-cyl.
-- 2nd differed other than engines in dural-covered tail
-- * BLC research, 10 hp Ford engine drove vacuum pump
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user675/Miles_M_8_Peregrine-05.JPG
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/peregrine2.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user675/Miles_M_8_Peregrine-06.JPG
-- (Project): Marathon larger 4-engined M.8 deriv.

M.9 -- Kestrel/Master Mk.I military trainer
- M.9 : Series of wood constr., tandem 2-seat trainers
- M.9 : Kestrel 1937 P.V. advanced trainer, x 1
- M.9 : 1 x 745 hp R-R Kestrel XVI, span 11.89 m
- M.9 : Rev'd gull wing, retr. main u/c, chin radiator
- M.9 : Flew May 1937 as 'B' U-5, RAF (RAE/A&AEE) N3300
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user675/Miles_M_9_Kestrel-05-680x566.JPG
- M.9 : Mod. w/ fwd radiator & rev. M.9A-style canopy
-- N3300 exper'lly fitted with LE Handley-Page slots
-- N3300 wing mod. with 5 pairs of 'letter box' slots
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user675/Miles_M_9_Kestrel-08.JPG
- M.9A: Master Mk.I, M.9 service devel., x 900
- M.9A: Kestrel N3300 rebuilt as M.9A prototype
- M.9A: Devel. as fill in for unsuitable DH Don
- M.9A: 1 x 715 hp R-R Kestrel XXX, span 11.89 m
- M.9A: Revised canopy, rear fuselage, repos. radiator
- M.9A: (Project) Alt. engine, de-rated R-R Peregrine
-- Repl. when stocks of surplus Kestrels exhausted
- M.9B: 1st prod. Master Mk.I N7408 devel. airframe
- M.9B: Orig. single cockpit, chin radiator, then revised
- M.9B: Prod'n vers, some conv. to Master Mk.IA std
- M.9C: Master Mk.IA, flat windscreen, rev. canopy*
-- * Canopy segment hinged as windscreen for rear seat
-- Late prod'n M.9C had Master II 10.90 m wings
-- See also: M.19, M.24, M.27

M.10 - (Project) 1936-40 radio-controlled target a/c
- M.10: Target drone devel. from M.3B Falcon
- M.10 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 10.67 m
- M.10: Landplane or seaplane with cantilever floats
-- Pilotless target aircraft to Specification 32/35
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_10 Project-01-680x482.JPG

M.11 - 1936 Whitney Straight club aircraft, x 50
- M.11 : 2-seater commissioned by W. Whitney Straight
- M.11 : Side-side seating with a large luggage area
- M.11 : Prototype G-AECT for Willard Whitney Straight
- M.11A: Revised windscreen and undercarriage fairings
- M.11A: 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major I, span 10.87 m
- http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Coates/1234L.jpg
- M.11B: 1 x 135 hp Amherst Villiers Maya I, x 1
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/FT/FT1937/02/479-2.jpg
- M.11C: 1 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major II, v-p prop.
- M.11C: 1937 G-AEYI c/n 341, w/o 28 June 1938, Harefield
-- https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/66077
- Research Whitney Straight: Suction boundary layer
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/whitney_straight.htm

M.12 - 1936 Mohawk 2-seat tandem light a/c, x 1*
- M.12: Commission for Charles Lindbergh, U-8/G-AEKW
- M.12: 1 x 200 hp Menasco Buccaneer B6S, span 11.00 m
- M.12: Impressed Oct 1941 as HM503, Fairey-Reed prop inst'd
-- A second M.12 was begun, wings went to 1944 M.7A hybrid
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user6327/Miles_M.12_Mohawk-03.JPG

M.13 - 1937 Hobby single-seat racing aircraft, x 1
- M.13 : Low-wing, hydraulic flaps & retract. main u/c
- M.13 : 1 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major II, span 6.53 m
- M.13: 'B' registration U2, later civil reg. G-AFAW
-- Flown only briefly (retr. u/c problems), sold to RAE
- M.13?: (Project) Wing redesig before race qual. flights
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M.13-03-680x1131.JPG

M.14 - 1937 Magister 2-seat tandem trainer, x 1,293
-- Magister sim. to Hawk, spatted main u/c
- M.14 : 2-seat RAF elementary trainer to Spec. T.40/36
- M.14 : Prototype flown at Woodley, 20 March 1937
- M.14 : Prototype to A&AEE Martlesham Heath for trials
-- M.14 prototype crashed during A&AEE spinning trials
-- Tail raised, redes. rear fuselage, anti-spin strakes
-- Rear deck mod. for blind-flying hood, enlarged rudder
- M.14 : Magister Mk.I initial prod. vers., x 20
- M.14 : Hawk-type tail & aft-placed tailwheel
- M.14A: Magister Mk.I with above modifications
- M.14A: 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major I, span 10.31 m
- M.14A: 'Maggie Bomber' bomb rack modification
-- 15 x June 1940 mod's, racks for 8 x 25-pound bombs
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/maggie.htm
- Experimental Magisters (w/o sub-type designations?)
-- M.14A: Mid-1941, trial Magister towed auxiliary wing
-- Scale trials for a bomb carrier (not as an aux. fuel tank)
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/attachments/magister_towed_wing_project-jpg.104323/
- M.14A: Fitted with Gray spoilers, lifting stabilizers
- M.14A: Fitted with 'disrupter' rod on wing leading edge
- M.14A: Fitted with MacLaren castoring landing gear*
-- * Intended to improve cross-wing taxi perf., x 2
- M.14A: 'B' U6 (G-AEZS) mod. with thick-section wing
-- U6 mod. for M.18 devel., later returned to standard
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AE/AE72-6/323-1.jpg
- M.14A: Turkish THK licensed Magister, x 84**
--- ** 1942-43 (NB: Uğur is the later THK-15 design)
- M.14A: Postwar Hawk Trainer III civil conv., x 52
- M.14B: Hawk Trainer II, Blackburn conversions
- M.14B: 1 x 135 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major II
- M.14B: As per M.14A except it retained small rudder
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/FT/FT1938/03/672-1.jpg
- M.14B: Magister Mk.II, Blackburn conv., x 5
-- RAF x 5 L6909-L6913 (c/n 530-534) + 2 x impressed

M.15 - 1938* 2-seat tandem trainer to Spec. T.1/37, x 2
- M.15 : More powerful M.14 Magister stablemate
- M.15 : Monocoque fuselage, longer wings/rounded tips
- M.15 : 1938 Trainer Mk.I, 1st prototype, L7714
- M.15 : 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six, span 10.19 m
- M.15A: 1939 Trainer Mk.II, second prototype
-- U-0234/P6326, revised wingtips, stab's, windscreens
-- * Dates vary by source, poss. 1st flight 22 Sept 1938
-- * Other sources list 1st Woodley flight, 04 Feb. 1939
-- * 2nd prototype deliv. to RAE Farnborough, 23 May 1939
-- NB: Trainer name widely quoted, but contemporary?
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MM/MM-194/1019-56-1-4.jpg
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/other2/m15/m15-1.gif

M.16 - 1938 Mentor trainer/communications a/c, x 45
- M.16: M.7 Nighthawk devel. to AM Spec. 38/37
-- Prototype M.16 Mentor L4932 flew 05 Jan. 1938
- M.16: 3-seat comms/liaison/radio and instrument trainer
- M.16: 1 x 200 hp DH Gipsy Six I, span 10.60 m

M.17 - 1937 Monarch 3-seat touring monoplane, x 11
- M.17: Intended M.11 Whitney Page tourer repl.
- M.17: 1 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major I, span 10.85 m
-- M.17 combined M.11-like fuselage with wings of M.14
- M.17: Monarch prototype G-AFCR flew 21 Feb. 1938
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/law1/milesm17/milesm17-1.gif

M.18 - 1938 2-seat tandem RAF elementary trainer, x 4
- M.18: Intended as better-handling Magister repl.
-- Designed by Walter G. Capley with simple wing section
- M.18: 1 x 150 hp DH Gipsy Major III, span 9.45 m
- M.18: Prototype c/n 1075, U-2, 1st flew 04 Dec. 1938
-- Later conv. to single-seat w/ nose-wheel, U-0222/G-AFRO
-- 1946, span experimentally reduced (6.71 m from 9.45 m)
-- 1946, fitted with experimental 110 hp Jameson FF HO4
- M.18: 2nd prototype, 'B' U-8 (later U-0224), Nov. 1939
- M.18: 2nd prototype, 1 x 150 hp Cirrus Major III
-- Later RAF HM545, postwar G-AHKY (Ft.Lt. HB Iles' racer)
- M.18: 3rd prototype, Oct. 1942, 'B' U-0238 (c/n 4432)
- M.18: 3rd prototype, 1945 'B' U-3, 1946 re-reg. G-AHOA
- M.18: 4th prototype, Dec. 1942, 'B' U-0236,* RAF JN703
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MM/MM-194/1019-56-2-1.jpg
-- * Also listed as 'B' U-11 (perhaps before U-0236?)
-- http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AI/AI57-1/27-6.jpg
- M.18: 4th prototype, to RAE, aka M.18 HL (High Lift)
-- Slotted flaps and LE slats as per Supermarine S.24/37
-- Note: M.18 used in high-speed net-capture ship trials
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/m-18-trainer-06-680x477.jpg

M.19 - 1939 Master Mk.II advanced trainer, x 1,747*
- M.19: Radial-engined devel. of M.9C Master Mk.IA
- M.19: 1 x 870 hp Bristol Mercury XX radial, span 10.90 m
-- * Sources vary between 1,747 and 1,799 M.19s produced
- M.19: Master GT Mk.II glider tug adaptation**
-- ** Produced within 5 days as Audax replacements

M.20 - 1940 single-engined fixed u/c 'utility' fighter, x 2
- M.20: As built, W.G. Capley-designed 'emergency fighter'
- M.20/1: (Project) 1938 F.G. Miles-designed fighter a/c
- M.20/1: Inv. gull wing, retr. u/c, rad. bath set at LE
- M.20/1: 1939 wood mock-up, Sec. State for Air inspected
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_20-01-680x508.JPG
- M.20/2: 1940 Walter Capley design, unrelated to M.20/1
- M.20/2: Wooden; simple, 1-piece wing; no double curves
- M.20/2: 1 x 1,260 hp R-R Merlin XX, span 10.54 m
- M.20: Eight-gun, single-seat fighter to AM Spec F.19/40
-- Goals of minimal light alloys, more range & ammunition
- M.20/2: 1st prototype (U-9/RAF AX834), flew 15 Sep. 1940
-- Poor spinning char., stab. moved aft in ext. tailcone
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/jpeg/gallery/m20.jpg
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_20-10-680x413.JPG
- M.20/2: 1st prototype overshot into flooded pit, Feb 1941
- M.20/3: (Project) Operational variant, never produced
- M.20/3: Submitted for F.19/40, drop tanks or bomb racks
-- (Project): Fighter-bomber variant with 500 lb bomb load
-- (Project): 2 x 20 mm (180 rpg), 4 x .303-in (800 rpg)
-- (Project): Long-range variant with fuselage fuel tanks*
-- * Normally, all M.20 fuel tanks were within the wings
- M.20/4: 2nd prototype (U-0228/DR616), flew 08 April 1941
- M.20/4: 2nd prototype, to A&AEE 18 April but not funded
- M.20/4: Submitted for N1/41 as a shipboard fighter**
-- Jettisonable u/c in aerodynamically-revised fairings
-- * Also mooted as Catapult Aircraft Merchantmen fighter
-- https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/PippinBill/5391L-2.jpg

M.21 - (Project) 1940 twin-engined aircrew trainer study
- M.21: Wood const., low-wing, twin-tail, dorsal turret
- M.21: Twin powerplants, size and exact config. varied
- M.21 (I) : 2 x 600 hp P&W Wasps, 4 x crew
- M.21 (II): 2 x 1,300 hp R-R Merlin XX V-12s
-- Larger M.21 able to carry 2 x complete bomber crews
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_21_Projects-01-680x406.JPG

M.22 - (Project) 1940-41 varying twin-engined fighters
- M.22 : Single-seat day or night fighter, 10 x .303-in
- M.22 : 2 x 1,600 R-R Griffons, span 11.88 m
-- M.22: Wood struct.,* curved trailing edge, twin fins
-- * An exception was spars which were to be of metal
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m22.4603/
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/users/00_20.png
- M.22A: Tandem 2-seat, cannon-armed to AM Spec. F.18/40
-- 4 x cannons on fuselage side; alt. 4-gun BP turret
- M.22A: 2 x R-R Merlin RM.6SM,** span 15.54 m
-- ** Spec. engine, Merlin XX or 60 also mentioned
-- M.22A: Non-elip., trapazoidal wing shape, tandem 2-seat
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m22.4603/#post-140822
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user459/Miles_M_22_Fighter_Projects-04-680x480.JPG
- M.22?: M.22A variant, 4-gun Boulton-Paul power turret

M.23 - (Project) Single-seat, single-engined fighter concepts
- M.23 : 1941 high-speed fighter proposal, wooden constr'n
- M.23 : 1 x V-12,* span 9.45 m, 8 x .303-in or 2 x 20 mm
-- * Early prod. a/c to have 1,075 hp R-R Merlin X
-- * Later prod. a/c to have 1,600 R-R Griffon V-12
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_23_Fighter_Projects-02-680x483.JPG
- M.23A: 1942 high-altitude interceptor, pressurized cockpit
-- Unrelated to M.23, bubble canopy, high-aspect ratio wing
- M.23A: 1 x 1,280 hp R-R Merlin 60, span 18.28 m**
-- Some sources list the M.23A wingspan as only 15.24 m
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m23.29572/
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_23_Fighter_Projects-03-680x504.JPG

M.24 - 1940 single-seat M.9 Master fighter conv.,x 25*
- M.24: Armed Master Mk.I with rear cockpit deleted
- M.24: 1 x 717 R-R Kestrel XXX V-12, span 11.89 m
- M.24: Emergency fighter with 6 x Browning .303-in mgs**
-- * Sources vary whether 23, 25, or 26 M.24s completed
-- ** One source says 4 x .303-in guns, most say 6 x guns
-- Poss. begun as emerg. fighter, becoming fighter-trainer
-- aka 'Modified Master' or 'Master Fighter'
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m-24-a-proposed-fighter-version-of-m-9.25565/

M.25 - 1942 Martinet single-engined target tug, x 1,724
- M.25: M.19 Master Mk.II-based target tug derivative*
- M.25: Prototype LR241 to Spec. 12/41, flown 24 April 1942
-- * Drogue gear, winch,** longer nose for c/g, rev. canopy
-- ** Electric or wind-driven winch (mounted on port side)
- M.25: Martinet TT Mk.I, 1st purpose-built target tug
- M.25: 1 x 870 hp Bristol Mercury XX/30, span 11.89 m
-- http://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/2003.htm
-- 3v: https://drawingdatabase.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Miles-Martinet.gif
-- See M.37 Martinet Trainer; M.50 Queen Martinet

M.26 - (Project) 1940-43 blended-body airliner/transport
- M.26 : Long-range, all-metal, high-winged transport*
- M.26 : 4 x R-R Griffon II V-12s, span 35.35 m
-- Tricycle u/c, luxury airliner/47 x equipped troops
-- * M.26 desig.s applied to multiple 'X.x' variations
- M.26A: (Project) Small-scale "flying mock-up"

M.27 - 1940 Master Mk.III advanced trainer, x 602
- M.27: Akin to late-prod. M.19 but w/ American engine
- M.27: 1 x 825 hp P&W R-1535-SB4G radial,* span 11.89 m
-- * Twin Wasp Junior replacing UK Mercury
- M.27: Built at South Marston, uses as per Master
- Training armament: 1 x .303-inch mg, 8 x light bombs
-- https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/CrupiRay/13009.htm

M.28 - 1941 Mercury 2-to-4 seat trainer/comm's a/c, x 6
-- aka L.R.1 = Liverpool Road (Miles Experimental Dept)
- M.28 : (Project) Planned prewar light tourer/club aircraft*
-- * Repl. for M.11 Whitney Straight/M.17 Monarch
- M.28 : Revived 1941 as 2-seat trainer/communications aircraft
- M.28 Mark I: Prototype, 2-seater, 130 hp DH Gipsy Major I
-- 'B' U-0232 built Liverpool Road, flew 11 July 1941 at woodley
-- aka L.R.2 (from Liverpool Road, the Miles Experimental Dept.
-- M.28 prototype broken up, became M.38 Messenger prototype
- M.28 Mark II: Dual-control 3-seat trainer, rear quarter windows
- M.28 Mark II: 1 x 140 hp DH Gipsy Major IIA, span 9.35 m
-- M.28 Mark II: 'B' reg U-0237, RAF serial HM583, aka Miles M.28B
-- HM583 re-engined with 140 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major II
-- HM583 re-engined with 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III
-- 1947 civil reg. G-AJVX; 1950 VH-BBK; 1955 VH-KCH, o/s in 1958
- M.28 Mark III: Triple-control 3-seat trainer, revised wing*
- M.28 Mark III: 1 x 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III
-- * Also fixed-pitch propeller and square rear quarter windows
- M.28 Mark III: 1943 MAP order, c/n 4684, 'B' U-0242, RAF PW937
-- Dec. 1946 Miles Aircraft reg. as G-AISH, scrapped Feb. 1948
- M.28 Mark IV: 1944 4-seat communications aircraft,** c/n 4685
- M.28 Mark IV: 1 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major IIA, 'B' U-0242
-- Intended for civilian Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), RAF owned
-- 1945 G-AVGX; 1947 HB-EED; 1948 G-AVGX; 1953 VH-AKH; 1955 VH-AKC
- M.28 Mark V: 1945 4-seater, c/n 6697, square rear quarter windows
- M.28 Mark V: 1 x 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III 4-cyl.
-- 1947 G-AJFE with Miles; 1951 HB-EEF; 1954 G-AJFE; w/o March 1955
- M.28 Mark VI: 1946 4-seater, c/n 6697, round rear quarter windows
- M.28 Mark VI: 1 x 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III 4-cyl.
-- 1946 G-AHAA; 1956 D-EHAB; 1976 OY-ALW; 2018
- M.28/38: 1943 hybrid 'proof of concept' for M.38 Messenger
-- M.28/38 U-0223 combined M.28 Mark I fuselage with new wings
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user459/Miles_M.28-01 clean.jpg
-- Also see M.47 pilotless target project based upon the M.28

M.29 - (Project) 194? high-performance advanced training a/c
- M.29: Tandem 2-seat trainer w/ raised rear 'bubble' canopy
-- Conceptually similar to to M.31 Master IV project
-- M.29 eclipsed by built M.37 Martinet Trainer (qv)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m29.htm

[1] Née Maxine Forbes-Robertson, formerly The Hon Mrs Inigo Freeman-Thomas, the Viscountess Ratendone. 'Blossom' acted as draughtswomen, stress-calculator, and designer for Phillips & Powis/Miles.

Last edited:
Miles 'M' Series Aircraft Designations - M.30 to M.49

M.30 - (Project) 1942 blended-wing project, transport/airliner
- M.30 : All-metal constr., laminar-flow wings, aka X.9 (qv)
- M.30 : 4 x R-R Griffon II V-12s, span 35.35 m
- M.30 : Alt. military freighter with rear loading ramp
- M.30 : Alt. buried Griffon IIs w/ extension shafts
- Fall 1942, submitted to MAP; demo. contract Spec. 42/37
- M.30 X: Minor Feb 1942 small-scale demonstrator
- M.30 X: 2 x 130 hp DH Gipsy Major I Srs II, span*
-- *Original span: 10.05 m, later extended span: 11.73 m
- M.30 X: Blended body, podded engines, retr. trike u/c**
-- ** Main from M.8; nose from M.16 (steered by tiller)
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/xplane/m30/m30-1.gif
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_30_X_Minor-04-680x591.JPG

M.31: (Project) 1941 Master Mk.IV advanced trainer
- M.31: Master Mk.IV, raised rear cockpit/canopy*
-- * Framed rear canopy in contrast with M.29 & M.37 (qv)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m31.htm

M.32: (Project) 1941 large convertible transport aircraft
- M.32: High-wing, twin tails, wooden const., nose ramp
- M.32: As glider or with 2 x pusher-prop radial engines
- M.32: 2 x Bristol 9-cyl. radial engines,* span 28.96 m
-- * Bristol Pegasus or Mercury types planned
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m32.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M_32_Glider Project-03-680x344.JPG

M.33 - 1944 Monitor twin-engined target tug, x 22
- M.33: High-speed target tug for RAF/FAA, Spec. Q.9/42
- M.33: 2 x 1,750 hp Wright R-2600-31, span 17.13 m
- M.33: Mixed constr., wood wings, metal fuselage/tail
- M.33: Monitor prototype NF900 flew 05 Apr 1944
- M.33: Monitor TT Mk.I for RAF, later cancelled
- M.33: Monitor TT Mk.II for FAA, 400 x ordered*
-- * 20 completed, 10 x deliv., 10 x broken up in 1945
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/other2/m33/m33-1.gif

M.34 - (Project) Twin-engined, ground attack fighter
- M.34: Blended-body, high-mounted engine nacelles
- M.34: 2 x Rolls-Royce Merlins, span (??) m
- M.34: 1-or-2 crew, long-range, twin endplate tails
-- 4 x 40 mm cannons, alt. role high-speed target tug
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m34.htm

M.35 - 1942 Libellula sub-scale demonstrator a/c*
- M.35: Half-sized single-seat pusher-prop tandem-wing
- M.35: 1 x 140 hp DH Gipsy Major pusher, span ~20'
-- M.35: aka L.R.2 (L.R. after 'Liverpool Road'), x 1
-- * Miles called the M.35 a "flying mock-up"
-- Alt.: Nose wing, ext. wingtips and centre section
-- Revised: Added tail wheel & enlarged air scoop
-- 'B' reg. U 0235 combined parts from Magister, etc.

M.36 - (Project) 1942 Montrose aircrew trainer
- M.36: Low-winged, twin-tailled, 6 crew, span 15.69 m
-- M.36: Wooden constr., tail wheel or nose gear u/c
- M.36: various engine types & numbers, span 15.70 m
- M.36: 2 x 600 hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp S3H1s
- M.36: 2 x 870 hp Bristol Mercury radials
- M.36: 4 x 420 hp Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah XV
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/montrose.htm
-- 3v: http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1535566388/405b3c42/23111181_m.jpg

M.37 - 1946 2-seat Martinet Trainer advanced trainer
- M.37: Martinet TT w/ rear bubble canopy of M.29
- M.37: 1 x 870 Bristol Mercury 30, span 11.89 m
-- To Spec. T.7/45, 2 x prototypes JN275 & JN668/G-AKOS*
-- * Acq'd by Gloucester Flying Club, 1947, not converted
-- http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/other2/m25/m25-9.jpg
-- https://www.key.aero/sites/keyaero/files/comment_forum/2008/05/19/Copie de JN668.jpg

M.38 - 1942 Messenger 4-seat RAF liaison a/c, x 93
- M.38 : Began as unoff. request for Air Observation Post
- M.38/28: M.28 prototype fuselage w/ new wing* & main u/c
-- Fitted with fixed aerofoil TE flaps for STOL performance
- M.38/28: 1 x 140 hp DH Gipsy Major IIA, span 11.00 m
- M.38/28: Unauthorized AOP, U-0223 1st flew 12 Sept 1942
- M.38/28: U-0223 first flew Sept 1942; tested diff. tails
-- Single fin/rudder, twin endlplate tails, & triple tails
- M.38 : Accepted as RAF light liaison a/c to Spec. 17/43
- Messenger I : RAF Messenger Mk.I, x 23
-- Military VIP transport, 1 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major ID
- Messenger IIA: Civilian production type, x 65
-- 1 x 148 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III engine
-- Messenger IIA disting'd by oval quarter lights
- Messenger IIB: 3-seat Messenger IIA, x 1
-- c/n 6266 G-AGPX; Cirrus Major III testbed
- Messenger IIC: De Havilland-powered 'IIA deriv.
-- 1 x 145 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major ID, x 1
-- c/n 6267 G-AGUW distinguished by oval quarter lights
- Messenger III: Dual-control vers. of 'IIA, x 1
-- Messenger III fitted w/ split flaps as M.48
- Messenger IV : De Havilland-powered 'IIA deriv.
-- 1 x 145 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major 10, x 3
- Messenger IVA: As 'IIA, 1 x new-built, 19 conv.
-- 1 x 145 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major ID, x 20
-- https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/...ion/pictures/full_size_0321/1483140-large.jpg
- Messenger IVB: Electric starter mod. of 'IVA
-- 1 x 145 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major 10, x 1
- Messenger V: Re-engined Messenger Mk.I
-- 1 x 180 hp Blackburn Bombardier 702 FI 4-cyl.
- M.38A Mariner: U-0223, prototype mod. w/ hook
-- Arrester hook for shipboard mini-ASW aircraft trials
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-designations.9737/#post-352264

M.39 - (Project) 1941 6-8 engined heavy bomber (or transport)
- M.39 : Tandem-wing design* to AM Specification B.11/41**
-- * Reversed from M.35; low nose wing w/ high rear wing
-- * Wind tunnel model tested w/ 20% larger rear wing area
-- ** Spec. B.11/41 was for a high-speed, 2-seat bomber
- M.39 : Libellula 3-seat, 2 x 20 mm + 7,000 lb bombs
- M.39 : 2 x R-R Merlin 60, span (rear) 16.76 m
- M.39 : 2 x Bristol Hercules VIII high-altitude engines
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/sites/de...959/miles_m39_libellula_bomber_project-03.jpg
- M.39A: Jet-powered vers., 3 x Power Jets W.2/500 turbojets
- M.39A: 1 x jet in tail, 2 x jets on rear fuselage sides
-- http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/01/images/miles_libelula_1_send.jpg
- M.39B: Sub-scale (5/8 scale), twin-engined demonstrator
- M.39B: 2 x 140 hp DH Gipsy Major IC, span 11.43 m
-- M.39B: aka L.R.3, wooden a/c designed by Ray Bournon
-- To RAE as SR392, Jan 1944; returned to Miles as U-4

M.40 - (Project) Large, wooden constr. transport aircraft*
- M.40: High-wing, spatted tricycle u/c, single fin/rudder
- M.40: Bulged canopy, nose and rear-fuselage loading ramps
-- * Ro-Ro freighter (military or civilian auto-carrier)
- M.40: 4 x radial engines (var. types),** span 34.14 m
-- ** 1,575 hp Bristol Hercules 14-cyl. radials, or
-- ** 1,600 hp Wright Cyclone 14s (GR-2600-A5Bs)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m40.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/miles-m-40-m-41-03-680x455.jpg

M.41 - (Project) Large, wooden constr. military transport*
- M.41: Enlarged, 6-engined development of M.40 (above)
-- * Ro-Ro freighter, via nose and tail loading ramps
-- * Alt. troop-carrier role (up to 180 equipped troops)
- M.41: 6 x radial engines (var. types),** span 43.28 m
-- ** 1,575 hp Bristol Hercules 14-cyl. radials, or
-- ** 1,600 hp Wright Cyclone 14s (GR-2600-A5Bs)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m41.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/miles-m-40-m-41-03-680x455.jpg

M.42 - (Project) 1942 twin-engined fleet fighter
- M.42: Libellula tandem-wing* fighter
-- * High-set rear wing, low canard, endplate fins
-- * Straight-tapered front wing, swept rear wing
- M.42: 2 x 1,300 hp R-R Merlin 30, span 12.95 m
- M.42: Armoured cockpit, dive brakes, 2 x 500 lb bombs
- M.42: Armament; 3 x 40 mm cannons (with 90 rounds)
- M.42: Arm.; 2 x 40 mm (30 rpg), 2 x 20 mm (200 rpg)
- M.42: Arm.; 4 x 20 mm cannons (with 200 rpg)
- M.42: Arm.; 2 x 20 mm (200 rpg) + 6 x 60 lb RPs
- M.42: Arm.; 1 x 47 mm (30 rds)** + 2 x 20 mm
-- ** Vickers 'P' cannon firing 3.5-pdr rounds
-- ** Conflicting info on 1 or 2 x Vickers 'P's
-- M.42: To AM Spec. F6/42, related to M.43 (below)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m42.htm
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user675/Miles_M42_44_Projects-03.JPG

M.43 - (Project) 1942 pusher-propeller* fleet fighter
- M.43: Libellula tandem-wing** fighter
- M.43: 1 x 2,000 hp R-R Griffon, span 11.27 m
-- * Contra-rotating propellers (3-blades each)
-- ** Low-set rear wing, high canard, endplate fins
-- ** Semi-elliptical front wing, swept rear surfaces
- M.43: Armament options as per M.42 (above)
- M.43: To AM Spec. F6/42, related to M.42 (above)

M.44 - (Project) 1942 twin-engined attack fighter
- M.44: Shoulder-wing, twin-finned 2-seat fighter
- M.44: 2 x 1,300 hp Merlin 30, span 14.63 m
- M.44: Armament options as per M.42 (above)
-- Compared with M.33 Monitor & M.34 project

M.45 - (Project) 1942 2-seat monoplane trainer
- M.45: Tandem seat, bubble canopy, twin fins
- M.45: For elementary or advanced* training
- M.45: 1 x 250 hp DH Gipsy Queen 51
-- * Harvard perf. on half the power
-- M.45 mock-up built, no order/construction
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m45.htm

M.46 - (Project) 194? Engine testbed for Rolls-Royce
- M.46: R-R PI26 (Crecy) diesel V-12 testbed
-- Nose-mounted unlike Mustang FTB proposal
- M.46: 1 x 1,630 hp* R-R PI26 V-12, span 12.27 m
-- * Some sources list later 2,300 hp Crecy rating
- M.46: NA Mustang wings/tail components**
-- ** New 2-seat fuselage, vert. tail, tail cone***
-- *** For a radiator air/exhaust thrust augmentor
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m46.htm
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/sites/default/files/users_/user8959/miles_m46_project-01.jpg
-- NB: ~hp from Spitfire inst. estimates
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...to-be-installed-in-spitfire.7801/#post-217850

M.47 - (Project) 194? pilotless target aircraft
- M.47 : Low-wing, twin tails, retractable u/c
- M.47 : 1 x (??) hp HO (??) engine,* span 9.35 m
-- * Appears sim. to 500 hp HO engine of M.58 (qv)
- M.47 : Airframe based upon M.28 Mercury
- M.47A: (??) no details, poss. M.47/A (??)
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m47.htm

M.48 - 1944 redesignated M.38 Messenger III
- M.48: M.38 c/n 4690 U-0247 rebuilt with new flaps*
- M.48: 1 x 155 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III
-- * Electrically-operated, retractable, split flaps
- M.48: Testbed for 'ideal' civil Messenger

M.49 - (Project) 194? pilotless target aircraft
- M.49: Low-wing, triple tails, skid main u/c
-- Similar to M.47 but taller central tail fin
- M.47 : 1 x (??) hp HO (??) engine,* span (??) m
-- * Appears sim. to M.47 & 500 hp HO in the M.58
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m49.htm

Miles 'M' Series Aircraft Designations - M.50 to M.69

M.50 - 1945 Queen Martinet target aircraft x 65*
- M.50: Radio-controlled version of M.37 Martinet
- M.50: 1 x 870 Bristol Mercury 30, span 11.89 m
-- * 11 x new-build M.50s plus 54 x M.37 conversions
-- * UK Serials only shows 33 x RAF serials for M.50s**
-- http://www.ukserials.com/prodlists.php?type=1363
-- ** 10 x delivered (VF100-to-VF110), 23 x cancelled
-- Fleet Air Arm x 3 (728 sqn, Ta Kali; 773 sqn, Brawdy)
-- http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/other2/m25/m25-11.jpg

M.51 - (Project) 1943 Minerva commuter airliner
- M.51: High-wing, twin-engined 2+8 pax transport
- M.51: 2 x air-cooled engines,* span 15.84 m
- M.51: Laminar flow wing, retract. tricycle u/c
- M.51: Metal const., smaller Marathon twin
-- * 2 x 295 hp DH Gipsy Queen 50 6-cyl.
-- * 2 x 425 hp A-S Cheetah XV radials
-- Don Brown design antic. Brabazon 5b requir't
-- Aband. on Air Min. rec. to focus on trainers
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Miles_M51_Minerva_Project-02.jpg

M.52 - (Project) 1942-46 supersonic research a/c
- M.52: Research a/c intended to break sound barrier
- M.52: Thin, mid-set wings, nose inlet shock cone
- M.52: 1 x Power Jets W.2/700 turbojet, span 8.20 m
-- Turbojet fed via an annual intake around cockpit
-- 2,000 lbf dry (S/L); 4,100 lbf reheat (11,000 m)
- M.52: 3 x prototypes ordered from Miles in 1944
-- 1 with Power Jets W.2/700 turbojet engine
-- 1 with Rolls-Royce AJ.65 turbojet (later Avon)
-- 1 with a liquid-fuel rocket motor (type ??)
- M.52?: Post-cancellation proposal with rocket motor*
-- * Captured German motor + pilotless remote-control
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M52_Supersonic_Project-05-680x515.JPG

M.53 - (Project) 1943 2-3-seat trainer to T.23/43
- M.53 : Side-by-side trainer w/ opt'l jump seat
- M.53 : Engines and lengths vary, span 10.97 m
- M.53A: 1 x 295 hp DH Gipsy Queen IV
- M.53A: Span 10.97 m, fixed u/c, raised rear deck
- M.53B: 1 x 295 hp DH Gipsy Queen IV or,
- M.53B: 1 x 340 hp A-S Cheetah XIX radial
- M.53B: Span 11.58 m, fixed u/c, twin fins/rudders
- M.53C: 1 x 160 hp DH Gipsy Major III
- M.53C: Span 10.97 m, 'bubble' canopy, twin fins
- M.53D: 1 x 160 hp DH Gipsy Major III
- M.53D: As M.53C except for single fin/rudder
-- https://museumofberkshireaviation.co.uk/html/research/m53.htm

M.54 - (Project) 1943-1944 twin-engined passenger airliner
- M.54 : 17 pax, high-winged, twin-engined, twin-tailled
- M.54 : 2 x 1,090 hp Bristol Taurus VI, span 19.66 m
- M.54 : 1943 Don L. Brown design, like an enlarged M.51
- M.54 : Metal const., laminar profile wing, 'taildragger'
- M.54A: 20 pax, sim. to M.54 but with tricycle u/c gear
- M.54A: 2 x 1,010 hp Bristol Perseus XX, span 19.66 m
-- Submitted to MAP in Feb. 1944, not accepted for prod.
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Miles_M54_Transport_Project-02.jpg

M.55 - (Project) 1943 Marlborough multi-role a/c
- M.55: Mid-winged, single-tailed, raised cockpit
- M.55: Two or four engines/ various types, span 23.47 m
- M.55: 4 x 730 hp Bristol Mercury, XXV radials
- M.55: 2 x 1,300 hp Rolls-Royce Merlin, XX V-12s
- M.55: Aircrew trainer, nose & tail 2-gunned turrets
- M.55: Flying trainer for bombers, no turrets fitted
- M.55: Mine-layer (2 tons load), 4-gun tail turret
- M.55: Unarmed ambulance a/c, 12 x litters, 5 x crew
- M.55: Transport (2.5 tons) or Horsa glider tug
- M.55: Paratroop (x 20) trainer, side and belly doors
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Miles_M55_Marlborough_Project-02.jpg

M.56 - (Project) 1944 high-winged 24-pax airliner
- M.56 : Postwar Dakota replacement project
- M.56 : Pressure cabin, twin fins and rudders
- M.56 : Trike u/c airliner/transport, span 24.38 m
- M.56 : 2 x 1,620 hp R-R Merlin 24 V-12s
- M.56 : 2 x 1,010 hp Bristol Perseus XX radials
- M.56 : 4 x 585 hp A-S Cheetapard radials
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m-56-air-liner-transport-project.10114/

M.57 - 1945 Aerovan twin-engined light freighter, x 48
- M.57: Pod-and-boom transport w/ swinging rear loading door
- M.57: Square-section fuselage for passengers &/or freight*
-- * 917 kg cargo, 10 x pax, or automobile w/ 4 x occupants
-- * 4-seat exec., caravan for 2, 4 x litter ambulance, etc.
- M.57: Aerovan 1 prototype, 1st flew 26 Jan 1945, x 1
-- aka L.R.4. 2 x 150 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major III
- M.57: Aerovan I prototype, U-0248/G-AGOZ, span 19.80 m
-- G-AGOZ flew w/ mock-up A-S Mamba nacelle for M.69
- M.57: Aerovan II prototype, 1946, pod lengthened, x 1
-- U-8/U-0248/G-AGWO, elim. horn balances on outer rudders
-- 5 circular windows replaced 4 rectangular fuselage windows
- M.57: Aerovan III prod'n vers. of 2nd prototype, 1946
- M.57: Aerovan III, 50 x planned, only 7 actually built
- M.57: Aerovan IV, second prod'n vers., 1946-47, x 41
- M.57: Aerovan IV, disting. by 4 x circular windows
-- 1st prod'n batch: 45 x new + 1 x Aerovan 3 conv'n
-- 1 x Aerovan IV 1947 conversion to HDM-105 prototype
-- 2nd prod'n batch: 5 x partly assembled (rest of 50 canc.)
-- 1 x Aerovan IV conv. into 4-engined M.72 prototype
- M.57: Aerovan IV flew on triple-ski u/c, Winter 1947
- M.57: Aerovan IV, 2 x 195 hp Lycoming O-435-4As, x 2
-- c/n 6399 G-AKHF & c/n 6403 G-AJOF (fitted w/ M.68 tail)
- M.57: Aerovan V, 1947 de Havilland-engined vers., x 1
- M.57: Aerovan V, 2 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major 10s
- M.57: Aerovan VI, 2 x 195 hp Lycoming O-435-4As, x 1
- M.57A: (Project) Enlarged Aerovan devel. not built
- M.57A: 2 x 340 hp Armstrong-Siddeley Cheetah X radials
- M.57?: (Project) Air Observation Post (AOP) devel., not built
-- M.57?: AOP variant, lowered tailplane, expanded glazings
- M.57?: (Project) Flyingboat Aerovan devel., not built
-- M.57?: Flyingboat hull, stabilizing floats retr. into hull

M.58 - (Project) 1943-44 mixed-power naval patrol fighter
- M.58: Tractor piston + turbojet pusher, span ~9.75 m
- M.58: Mid-wing, twin-boomed, twin-tailled fighter
- M.58: 1 x 500 hp piston engine, 1 x Power Jets W2/700
-- 2 x 20 mm Hispano cannons in front of booms, + (??)

M.59 - (Project) 194? twin-engined passenger airliner
- M.59: High-wing, twin-tailled a/c similar to M.54

M.60 - 1946 Marathon I light commuter airliner, x 2
- M.60: 4-engined, high-winged, triple-tailled transport
-- Marathon I built to AM Specification 18/44
- M.60: 4 x 330 hp DH Gipsy Queen 71s, span 19.81 m
- M.60: 1st prototype, U-10/G-AGPD, first flew 19 May 1946
- M.60: 2nd prototype, U-10/G-AILH, flew in February 1947
- M.60: 3rd prototype completed as turboprop M.69 (qv)
- M.60: 4th prototype, 2 x R-R Darts, not completed
-- Insufficient 50 ordered (Min. Supply + BEA) Miles bankrupt
-- Prod'n done as Handley-Page HPR.1 Marathon I, x 40

M.61 - (Project) 1945 single-engined cargo aircraft
- M.61: High-winged pod-and-boom, fixed tricycle u/c
- M.61: 1 x 1,600 hp Wright GR-2600-A5B, span 28.65 m
- M.61: Wooden constr., submitted to MAP
-- NB: UK had Cycloneradial in storage
- Alt. 1 x 1,500 hp Bristol Hercules XI
-- * Not clear if this was a proposal by Miles
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-aerovan-variants.12031/#post-117126

M.62 - (Project) 1945 twin-engined cargo aircraft
- M.61: High-winged pod-and-boom, fixed tricycle u/c
- M.62: 2 x 1,600 hp Wright GR-2600-A5B, span 33.52 m
- M.62: Alt., 4 x Bristol Mercury radials*
- M.62: Fore & aft hinged/side-swinging loading doors
- M.62: All-metal constr., submitted to MAP
-- * Prob. 870 hpMercury XXs as per M.19

M.63 (Project) 1944-45 Libellula jet mailplane
- M.63 : High-mounted rear wing, low nose wing
- M.63A: (??) Poss. wartime jet-propelled study?
- M.63B: 2-or-3 turbojet-engines*, span 16.76 m
-- * 3 x Power Jets W.2/700 turbojets, or
-- * 2 x Rolls-Royce Derwent V turbojets**
-- ** The two engine designs were very closely related
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-m-63b-jet-mail-aircraft-project.3731/
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-tandem-wing-projects.3585/#post-94578
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-tandem-wing-projects.3585/#post-94579

M.64 - 1945 single-engine, 2-seat light club a/c, x 1
- M.64: Low-wing, fixed tricycle u/c, light a/c, aka L.R.5*
-- * M.64 was a project of Liverpool Road factory employees
- M.64: 1 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor, span 10.97 m
- M.64: Wooden constr., 'bubble' canopy, 'car-door' entries
-- Sole prototype M.64 U-6 (later U-0253) flew 03 June 1945
-- M.64 flew well by handled poorly at low speeds, abandoned
-- http://www.airwar.ru/enc/la/m64.html

M.65 - 1945 Gemini twin-engined, 4-seat light a/c, x
- M.65: Effectively a twin-engined M.38 Messenger
- M.65: Gemini I prototype G-AGUS flew 26 Oct 1945
-- Fixed u/c, 2 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor IIs
- Gemini I : G-AGUS, prototype marketing desig.
- Gemini IA: Production version, x 134 (+ 1 x HP)
- Gemini IA Special: 2 x 130 hp Lycoming O-290-3
- Gemini IB: Retr. flaps, 2 x 125 hp Continentals
- Gemini II: 2 x 130 hp Lycoming O-290-3/1s, x 2
- Gemini III: 2 x 145 hp DH Gipsy Major 1Cs*
-- * 1 x built orig., + 1 x HP-built, + 1 x FG Miles-built
- Gemini IIIA: 145 hp Gipsy Major 10 Mk 1, x 1
- Gemini IIIB: 145 hp Gipsy Major 10 Mk 1/3, x 1
- Gemini IIIC: 145 hp Gipsy Major 10 Mk 2, x 2
- Gemini 7 : Re-designation of Gemini IIIC
- Gemini 8 : Early model mod to M.75 Aries standard
- M.75 Aries: 2 x 155 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major 3
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/la/m65/m65-1.gif

M.66 - (Project) 1945 Army communications aircraft
- M.66: Communications aircraft to meet Spec. A.4/45
- M.66: 1 x 250 hp DH Gipsy Queen 31, span (??)
-- Likely an M.38 Messenger replacement a/c
-- Resembles beefier, more powerful M.28 Mercury*
-- * But with a cut-down rear deck with rear glazings

M.67 - (Project) 1945 pressurized turboprop airliner
- M.67: 20–to-32 pax American Airlines DC-3 repl.
- M.67: Low-wing, pressure cabin, twin fins/rudders
- M.67: 4 x 1,130 shp R-R Dart, span 24.38 m
-- Submitted to MAP, December 1945, not accepted
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Miles_M67_Project-03.jpg

M.68 - 1947 'Boxcar' detachable cargo pod freighter, x 1
- M.68: 4-engined M.57 Aerovan w/ detachable cargo pod
- M.68: 4 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor II, span 15.24 m
-- M.68's 3.05 m x 1.37 m cargo pod became roadable trailer
-- Sole M.68 G-AJJM flew 22 Aug 1947, aka 'Pantechnicon'
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/craft/m68/m68-1.gif
-- Pod: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/craft/m68/m68-2.gif

M.69 - 1949 Marathon II turboprop trials prototype
- M.69: Turboprop M.60 devel., orig. for BEA (went M.60)
- M.69: 2 x 'handed' 1,010 hp A-S Mamba turboprops*
-- * Exhaust pipes passed through wing above u/c bays
- M.69: 3rd Marathon prototype, c/n 6544, G-AHXU
-- M.69 first flew 23 July 1949, later RAF serial VX231
-- Handley-Page (Reading) redesig. HPR.5 Marathon II
- M.69: Re-eng. w/ 850 hp Alvis Leonides Major 702/1s
- M.69: Alvis-powered VX231 first flew on 15 March 1955
-- http://f-86.tripod.com/marathon2.htm
-- http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/craft/m60/m60-12.jpg
-- http://f-86.tripod.com/leonides.jpg

Miles 'M' Series Aircraft Designations - M.70 to M.77

M.70 - (Project) 1946 advanced trainer to Spec T.7/45
- M.70: Low-wing, tandem 2-seat, raised rear cockpit*
- M.70: Int. as adv. flying, gunnery, bombing trainer
- M.70: Offered with conv. or tricycle undercarriage
- M.70: 1 x piston or turboprop tractor, span 9.54 m
- M.70: 1 x 500 hp Alvis Leonides 9-cyl radial
-- Illustr. with a conventional retr. taildragger u/c
- M.70: 1 x 500 shp Napier E.27 (Nymph)turboprop
-- Illustrated with a fully-retractable tricycle u/c
- M.70: 1 x 500 shp Bristol turboprop (desig. unknown)
-- * A faired-in rear cockpit (not a 'bubble' canopy)

M.71 - 1947 Merchantman 4-engined light transport, x 1
- M.71 : Scaled-up, 4-engined pod-and-boom M.57 Aerovan
- M.71 : 4 x 250 hp DH Gipsy Queen 30s, span 20.27 m*
-- * Some sources list as 19.81 m (as per M.60) or 20.10 m
-- M.71 U-21 1st flew 07 Aug 1947, all-metal,** stub-axle u/c
-- ** Except wings aft of rear spar which were fabric-covered
-- M.71 wing of sim. struct. and span as M.60 Marathon
-- Sole M.71 Merchantman, G-AILF, scrapped in 1947
- M.71A: (Project) Merchantman 1 production version
-- Merchantman 1: Convent'l fuselage, 20 ordered
-- Merchantman 1: 2 x Armstrong-Siddeley Cheetah
-- Merchantman 1: Alt., 2 x Alvis Leonides
- M.71A: (Project) Merchantman 2 production version
-- Merchantman 2: Detachable cargo pod, 30 ordered
-- Merchantman 2: 2 x Armstrong-Siddeley Cheetah
-- Merchantman 2: Alt., 2 x Alvis Leonides
-- 3v: http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/craft/m71/m71-2.gif

M.72 - (Project) 1948 4-engined Aerovan IV conv., x 1
- M.72: Essentially M.68 engines applied to M.57 airframe
- M.72: 4 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor II, span 15.24 m
-- M.72 prototype conv. begun but was never completed or flown
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-aerovan-variants.12031/

M.73 - (Project) 1946 4-engined passenger aircraft
- M.73: 4-engined, high-winged, twin-tailled transport
- M.73: 4 x radials (Leonides Majors?), span (??)
-- M.73: Effectively a scaled-up M.60 Marathon I

M.74 (Project) 1946-47 2-seat side-by-side light club a/c
- M.74: M.38 deriv., 80% common,* shorter u/c, no flaps
- M.74: 1 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor II, span 11 m
-- * Wings, fuselage but endplate tails (no central fin)
-- * Fuselage lacked M.38's rear quarter-light glazings
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-designations.9737/#post-288956

M.75 - Aries, more powerful Gemini devel., x 2
- M.75: Repl. M.65 100 hp Cirrus Minors w/ 155 hp engines
- M.75: 2 x 155 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major 3, span 11.02 m
-- Airframe strengthened, taller tail fins, hence desig. change
- M.75: Prototype Aries flew at Redhill on 21 March 1951
- M.75: Prototype c/n 75/1002 'B' reg. G-35-1, G-AMDJ June 1952
- M.75: Aries Srs.1 prod'n a/c, reg. G-AOGA in Nov 1955
-- https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/SmithRon/10438.htm
-- NB: M.65s rebuilt to M.75 standards, redeg. Gemini 8

M.76 - Dufaylite (moulded phenolic/asbestos fibre) [1] wing design
- M.76: Experimental wing to be tested on Kendall Crabpot I
- M.76: Wing span 18.29 m (60 ft); wing aspect ratio of 18
- M.76: Max chord (at root) 1.52 m (5.0 ft); weight 70 kg (155 lb)
-- Miles employee Hugh Kendall designed Crabpot I sailplane
- M.76: Dufaylite wing broke up, failing its structural tests [2]
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-designations.9737/#post-316420

M.77 - 1953 Sparrowjet turbojet-powered racing a/c, x 1
- M.77: Complete rebuild of piston-powered M.5 prototype
- M.77: 2 x 330 lbf Turbomeca Palas jets, span 8.69 m
- M.77: F.G. Miles commiss. to rebuild M.5 for Fred Dunkerley
- M.77: Prototype (G-ADNI) flew 14 December 1953 at Shoreham
-- New front fuselage, tail, and cockpit (w/ large glazings)*
-- * Blown, ear-hinged, frameless canopy + moulded rear light
- M.77: 200 mph speed but acceleration was poor for a racer
-- Destroyed by hangar fire while stored, RAF Upavon, 1964
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user6327/Miles_M.77_Sparrowjet-04-680x1007.JPG

[1] The terminology gets a bit confused. Dufaylite referred to a process using low-heat cured phenolic resin, a paper-like honeycomb material, and the firm which produced them. For the M.76 wing, the Dufaylite process included two layers of Durestos - an asbestos 'felt' produced by Turner Brothers Asbestos Co. Ltd.

The addition of asbestos into plastics seems bizarre to us now but it was quite common at the time. Consider Bakelite (which was fairly widely used in aircraft construction and components during WW2). Bakelite was a thermosetting plastic consisting of phenol formaldehyde resins reinforced with fibres - wood and asbestos. Fillers in Bakelite included saw dust and asbestos 'shorts' - this asbestos dust helping to limit shrinkage during cooling. There don't seem to be any health concerns with Bakelite as a consumer product. Manufacture must have been another matter - that 'asbestos dust' creates the microscopic fibrils which scar lung tissue.

[2] There are conflicting statements about the strength of the M.76 wing. The following is an abstract from the Materials section of the U.S. Army Air Forces Technical Data Digest, Vol. 13, 1948 Jan.-June

"Plastic-Wing Development; Aircr. Prod. Apr '48, pp 113-115; 8 illus.

A method which offers a possibility of substantial weight economy, better surface finishing, and quicker production of plastic wings is described. An experimental laminar-flow wing has been constructed without a main spar element. Instead, a strip of Aerolite laminated material was sandwiched between two layers of the upper skin consisting of Durestos asbestos felt. Plywood ribs were used to distribute the chordwise shear loads, but continuous support was given by a complete filling with Dufaylite, The mould itself was made in a steel box filled with concrete after the inner member of the mould had been constructed and transformed into a compressed laminated structure by a special curing process. Moulding techniques are explained in detail. The resultant experimental wing failed at 117% of the designed load. Weight was 95% of a comparable metal wing and stiffness amounted to 114% of design value."

With a general interest in what would now be called 'composite materials', F. G. Miles, Ltd. formed a Plastics Division at Shoreham Airport in Sussex in 1953. I'm not sure about Norman Ellison's statement in British Sailplanes and Gliders claimed that the M.76 wing "broke up at a fraction of the design load" under test. The numbers given above in the Technical Data Digest abstract suggest slight improvements in strength, stiffness, and weight (compared with conventional metal construction). But only very slight.

So, was the M.76 wing abandoned because it was inherently weak? (By its very nature, cured Dufaylite is very brittle.) Or was the M.76 wing abandoned because it offered no real advantages over the by-then widespread stressed-skin metal construction? It should also be noted that contemporary use of Dufaylite/Durestos was booming due to its incorporation into many postwar construction materials. At the time, asbestos wasn't viewed as a dangerous waste-product and Miles' Plastic Division may have seen escalating costs for its use.

BTW: 'Aerolite' is mentioned in the text. Another potentially confusing term. Aerolite can refer to a British urea-formaldehyde adhesive (based on Kaurit W by the infamous I.G. Farben but refined for use in wooden aircraft construction). However, here the reference is to sheeting - so that means Gordon Aerolite.

Gordon Aerolite was created from resin-impregnated, untwisted, flax fibres. In 1940, a trial Spitfire fuselage was constructed from Gordon Aerolite. Tested by the RAE, this 'plastic' Spitfire fuselage proved to weigh the same as the standard, light-alloy fuselage (despite requiring many more rivets to fasten the Gordon Aerolite sheets). So, again, a material representing potential savings in light alloy usage but with no savings in structural weight and increased construction time.

AFAIK, no 'M' designations were applied between the freelance M.77 Sparrowjet conversion and the M.100 Student. Presumably, F.G. and George Miles elected to start afresh with a new designation sequence.

Miles 'M' Series Aircraft Designations - M.100 to M.118

M.100 - 1957 Student 2-seat light jet trainer, x 1
- M.100: Small-scale, economical ab initio trainer
- M.100: 1 x 880 lbf Marboré IIA jet,* span 6.40 m
-- * Blackburn-Turbomeca license, mounted over fuselage
- M.100: Shoulder-wing, twin-tailled, side-by-side seats
-- Low-cost military jet trainer 1st conceived of in 1953
- M.100: George Miles flew G-35-4, 14 May 1957, Shoreham
-- Sole M.100 'B' reg. G-35-4, civilian G-APLK, RAF XS491
- Student Mk.1, as built, Jet Provost rival
-- As Aces High's G-MIOO, crashed at Duxford, 24 Aug 1985
- Student Mk.2, 1964 Mk.1 mod. for ground attack
-- Uprated Marboré VIF, underwing weapon pods, etc.
-- To Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Hatfield, noise research
- M.100 ?: (Project) Revised Student AOP deriv.
-- Incr. centre-section span, mod. flaps, full-span slots
-- Incr. glazing, camera inst., opt'l bogie undercarriage
- Graduate: (Project) Higher-powered M.100 deriv.
-- To be 1/2 cost of conv. jet trainer/ground attack a/c
- Centurion: (Project) 1957 Renamed Graduate
-- To be 1/2 cost of conv. jet trainer/ground attack a/c
- Proposed Centurion variants are listed with M.100 Marks:
- M.100 Mk.3: Centurion COIN/ground attack variant
- M.100 Mk.3: 1 x de-rated** 1,400 lbf R-R RB.108 turbojet
-- **RB.108 lift-jet generally rated at 2,210-to-2,340 lbf
- M.100 Mk.4: Turbomeca Gourdon-powered derivative
- M.100 Mk.4: 1 x 1,405 lbf Turbomeca Gourdon ***
-- ***Gourdon was impr'd Marbore (via J69)
- M.100 Mk.5: Twin Turbomeca Arbizon-powered variant
- M.100 Mk.5: 2 x 550 lbf Turbomeca TR.281 Arbizons
- Centurion variants w/o known desig. listed below:
- Centurion: (Project) 4-seater communications a/c
-- 4-seater power: 1 x 1,540 lbf Turboméca Aubisque
- Centurion: (Project) 4-seat, scaled-up 1 1/8 vers.
-- 4-seater power: 1 x A-2 Viper or 2 x R-R RB.145
- Centurion: (Project) Aircaft carrier naval vers.
-- Variant carrier use, arrestor hook but no wing folding
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-graduate.3010/#post-173753
-- https://minijets.org/fr/300-500/turbomeca-marbore/miles-m100-student

M.101 - (Project) 19?? 4-engined auto-transport aircraft
- M.101: Silver City Airways' 6 x cars/32 pax transport
- M.101: 4 x Rolls-Royce Dart turboprops, span (??)
-- Likely to expand Silver City's Bristol 170 car service
-- M.101 project was later renumbered as the M.102 (below)

M.102 - (Project) 19?? 4-engined auto-transport aircraft
- M.102: Renumbering M.101 project
- M.102: (??) no other details

M.103 - (Project) 19?? 3-ton military freighter
- M.103: High-wing* pod-and-boom,** twin tails
- M.103: 2 x engines/1 x booster, span 45.72 m
- M.103: 2 x 500 hp Alvis Leonides 9-cyl.
- M.103: 1 x 1,800 lbf R-R Soar rocket***
-- * Wing taken from French Hurel-Dubois HD.31
-- ** W/ fore-and-aft side-hinged loading doors
-- *** RB.82 Soar booster for take-offs

M.104 - (Project) 19?? 6-ton military freighter
- M.104: Effectively an enlarged Miles M.103
- M.104: 2 x engines/2 x rockets, span 45.29 m
- M.104: 2 x 870 hp Alvis Leonides Majors
- M.104: 2 x 1,800 lbf R-R Soarbooster

M.105 - 1957 twin-engined transport demonstrator, x 1
- M.105: M.57 Aerovan 4 w/ Hurel-Dubois wings
- M.105: 2 x 155 hp Blackburn Cirrus Major, span 22.95 m
- M.105: Proof-of-Concept a/c, 'B' G-35-3, G-AHDM
- M.105: aka HDM.105 (HMD = Hurel-Dubois-Miles)
-- M.105/HDM.105 PoC a/c first flew 31 March 1957
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...d-miles-collaboration-skyvan-ancestors.15981/

M.106 - (Project) Caravan civilian transport
- M.106: Metal, larger-fuselaged HDM.105 evolution
- M.106: 2 x pistons or turboprops,* span 22.95 m
- M.106: 15 x passengers or 1.5 tonnes of freight
-- * 2 x 290 hp Lycoming GO-480 unsupercharged HO6,
-- * 2 x 340 hp Continental GSO-480B supercharged HO6,
-- * 2 x 320 hp Turbomeca Astazou turboprop engine
- M.106: Mockup made from HDM.105 parts, none built
- M.106: aka HDM.106 (HMD = Hurel-Dubois-Miles)
-- Short PD.36/SC.7 Skyvan inspired by M.106

M.107 - (Project) Aerojeep turboprop transport
- M.107: Enlarged, military,* turboprop HDM.106 deriv.
-- *Aimed at a US Army light STOL aircraft competition
- M.107: 25 passenger seats or as utility freighter
- M.107: 2 x 800 shp Lycoming T53 turbines, span (??)
- M.107: aka HDM.107 (HMD = Hurel-Dubois-Miles)

M.108 - (Project) Enlarged HDM.106 by Hurel-Dubois
- M.108: Enlarged civilian turboprop HDM.106 deriv.
- M.108: 2 x 750 shp Turbomeca Bastan, span (??)
- M.108: aka HDM.108 (HMD = Hurel-Dubois-Miles)

M.109 - (Project) Hurel-Dubois-type utility aircraft
- M.109: 6-seat utility w/ "semi-Hurel-Dubois" wing
- M.109: 2 x 150 hp Lycoming O-320 HO4s, span (??) m
- M.109: aka HDM.109 (HMD = Hurel-Dubois-Miles)

M.110 - (Project) Delta-wing design research studies
- M.110 : Various research approaches to deltas
- M.110A: Glider, to be towed beneath a helicopter
- M.110A: Span 4.57 m (15 ft); length 6.10 m (20 ft)
- M.110B: Larger, more complex variation on M.110A
- M.110B: Span 6.10 m (20 ft); length 12.19 m (40 ft)
-- M.110B to be a glider or jet-propelled (type?)

M.111 - (Project) 1959 utility aircraft studies
- M.111 : 6-seat utility/AOP type, various config's
- M.111A: High-speed, canard (tandem wing?) variant
- M.111A: 1 x 320 shp Turbomeca Astazou turbine
- M.111B: Conv. layout, tandem-seat AOP variant
- M.111B: 1 x 320 shp Turbomeca Astazou turbine
- M.111C: STOL-capable variant with deflected-thrust
- M.111C: 1 x 1,750 A-S Viper deflected turbojet
-- No details on proposed method of thrust deflection

M.112 - (Project) 1959 twin-engined executive aircraft
- M.112: 5-seat, (??) no details on airframe layout
- M.112: 2 x 250 shp Allison 250 turboprops, span (??)

M.113 - (Project) 1959 Joint Miles-Auster Army aircraft
- M.113: (??) no details, perhaps Auster AOP.9 repl.?

M.114 - (Project) 1960 composite 3-seat lightplane
- M.114: Low-winged, fixed u/c, cabin trainer/tourer
- M.114: Mixed constr., plastic/GRP over metal struc.
- M.114: Evolved into the Beagle-Miles M.117 project

M.115 - (Project) 1960 composite 4-seat executive a/c
- M.115: Twin-engined, low-wing, retr. u/c, light a/c
- M.115: Mixed constr., plastic/GRP over metal struc.
- M.114: Evolved into the built Beagle-Miles M.118

M.116 - 1961 Miles-Wallis Agile single-seat gyrocopter, x 1
-- NB: Actually WA-116, incl. in 'M' series may be in error
- M.116: G-ARRT, prototype autogyro to Wg Cdr Ken Wallis design*
- M.116: 1 x 72 hp McCulloch 4318A** 4-cyl, rotor diam. 6.80 m
- M.116: aka Miles-Wallis WA-116, Tyne WA-116, Beagle WA-116
-- 1962: 5 x Beagle-built WA-116s, 3 for Army Air Corps eval.
-- * Wallis had met w/ the Miles brothers at Shoreham in 1958
-- **Les Ailes listed a McCulloch 4318-E for WA-116 prototype

M.117 - (Project) 1961 4-seat* composite trainer/tourer
- M.117: Fixed u/c, mixed constr.,** car-door entries
- M.117: 1 x 100 hp R-R Continental 0-200-A, span 11.27 m
-- * Sources say 2-seat trainer, illust. show 4-seats
-- ** Metal primary structure plus moulded fibre-glass
- M.117: aka Beagle-Miles M.117A, aka Beagle M.117
- M.117: Intended to be a 1960's M.38 Messenger
-- Emerged as more powerful, all-metal Beagle Pup
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/beagle-b-117-project.7302/

M.118 - 1962 4-seat composite executive aircraft, x 1
- M.118: Retr. u/c, mixed constr.,* car-door entries
-- * Metal primary structure plus moulded fibre-glass
- M.118: 2 x 145 hp R-R Continental 0-300, span 11.27 m
-- Orig. to have 100 hp 0-200-A engines, as per M.117
- M.118: Prototype flew (as Beagle B.218X) 19 Aug 1962
-- M.118 was intended as a Gemini for the 1960s
-- aka Beagle-Miles M.118 Martlet, Beagle B.118
- M.218: Poss. marketing re-designation of the M.118**
-- ** 'M.218' desig. is contentious, possibly apocryphal
- B.218: Final M.118 desig. as a Beagle-Miles product
-- aka Beagle B.218X, aka Beagle-Miles 'M.218' (sic)
- B.242X: 1964 redesign, elimin. plastic from constr.

Last edited:
Miles 'L.R.' (Liverpool Road) Designation Sequence

L.R.1 - 1941 M.28 Mercury communications a/c, x 6*
- L.R.1: Prototype U-0232 flew 11 July 1941, Woodley
-- * Unsure if L.R.1 is for all M.28s or just prototype

L.R.2 - 1942 M.35 Libellula sub-scale demonstrator
- L.R.2: Half-sized single-seat pusher-prop tandem-wing
- L.R.2: 1 x 140 hp DH Gipsy Major pusher, span ~20'
-- L.R.2: aka M.35, which Miles called a "flying mock-up"

L.R.3 - (Project) 1941 twin-engined 2-seat fast bomber study
- L.R.3: Tandem-wing design to AM Specification B.11/41
-- L.R.3: aka M.35, various high-speed bomber concepts
-- L.R.3 may refer only to M.39B sub-scale demonstrator

L.R.4 - 1945 Aerovan twin-engined light freighter
- L.R.4: Pod-and-boom transport, swinging rear loading door
-- L.R.4: aka M.57 Aerovan 1 prototype U-0248/G-AGOZ

L.R.5 - 1945 M.64 single-engine, 2-seat light a/c, x 1
- L.R.5: Low-wing, fixed tricycle u/c club aircraft
- L.R.5: 1 x 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor, span 10.97 m
- L.R.5: Wooden constr., 'bubble' canopy, 'car-door' entries
-- L.R.5 (U-0253/U-6) handled poorly at low speeds, abandoned
-- http://www.airwar.ru/enc/la/m64.html

L.R.x - (??)

Miles Studies With 'X' Designations

X.1 - (??) hypothetical designation

X.2 - (Project) 1936 38-seat blended-wing transport aircraft
- X.2 : 4 x 900 hp air-cooled Rolls-Royce (?),* span 30.17 m
- X.2 : Wooden mock-up to AM Spec. 42/37 funded, not built
-- * But drawings show 4 x 900 hp R-R Kestrel V-12s
-- * Engines buried within wings, driving extension shafts
-- Note: The X.2 was not included in the M.26 desig. series
- X.2 : Small-scale "flying mock-up" planned but not built
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-x-blended-fuselage-wing-projects.8088/
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/users/user675/Miles_Early_X_Project-04.JPG

X.3 - (Project) 193? 6-engined variant of X.2
- X.3: (??) no further details

X.4 - (Project) 193? blended-wing transport variation
- X.4: (??) no further details

X.5 - (Project) 193? blended-wing transport variation
- X.5: (??) no further details

X.6 - (Project) 193? blended-wing transport variation
- X.6: (??) no further details

X.7 -- (Project) 193? 50-100-seat blended-wing transport a/c
- X.7 : Transatlantic airliner project to AM Spec. 14/38
- X.7 : 8 x R-R [/i]Merlin[/i]s driving 4 x contra-props
- X.7 : Single-fin/rudder, buried engines, longer shaft
- X.7 Mod.: Double-decker X.7 deriv. to carry 550 troops

X.8 -- (Project) 193? (??) Poss. the same as 'Scheme X'
- 'Scheme X': Freighter, 'bug-eye' cockpit, single fin
- 'Scheme X': 4 x non-buried engines, span (??) m

X.9 -- (Project) 1942 all-metal constr. X.3 development
- X.9 : Blended-body transport a/c, twin fins/rudders
- X.9 : Metal const., laminar flow high-aspect wings
- X.9 : 4 x R-R Griffon II V-12s, span 35.35 m
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user675/Miles_X9_Project-02-680x498.JPG
- X.9 : Alt. military freighter with rear loading ramp
- X.9 Mod.: Buried Griffon IIs w/ extension shafts
- X.9 Mod. : Shaft-driven contra-rotating propellers
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/miles-x-blended-fuselage-wing-projects.8088/#post-200896
- X.9 ?: Half-scale flying model ("flying mock-up")

X.10 - (Project) 194? twin-engined X.9 variant, aka M.26K
- X.10: Conventionally-mounted engines, twin fins/rudders
- X.10: 2 x R-R Griffon IIs, span 35.35 m (?)

X.11 - (Project) 1943 post-war long-range transport a/c
- X.11: Pre-war X.7 devel., span 45.70 m, for Spec 2/44*
-- * Later as a Brabazon Committee Type I submission
- X.11: 8 x buried engines** driving 4 x contra-props
-- ** Listed as [/i]Merlin[/i]s or 2,300 hp R-R PI26 [1]
- X.11: Transatlantic airliner, twin fins and rudders
- X.11: Troop-carrying derivative of X.11 airliner type
-- For troop transport, eee X.13 entry (below)
- X.11 'Scheme BX': 74-passenger civil transport a/c
- X.11 'Scheme BX': 4 x convent.-mounted Griffon IIs
- X.11 'Scheme BX': Specification similar to that of X.9
- X.11 'Scheme CX': As BX except burried Griffon IIs
- X.11 'Scheme CX': Freighter variant of 'CX' airliner
- X.11 (M.26A): 1/2-scale flying model of Scheme BX config.
- X.11 (M.26A): 4 x conventionally-mounted Lycoming engines
- X.11 (M.26A): 7-8 passengers, 1 pilot in "bug-eye" cabin
- X.11 Heavy Bomber: (??) same as X.12 (??), qv
-- Oct 1943, MAP rejected the X.11 and X.14 projects
-- 3v: http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user675/Miles_X11_Project-05-680x958.JPG

X.12 - (Project) 194? blended-wing heavy bomber concept
- X.12: Almost certainly bomber deriv. of X.11 (above)
- X.12: 10-ton bombs, dorsal turret + retr. ventral turret
-- Armoured remote-control dorsal turret, 2 x cannons
-- Retractable ventral turret, 2 x machine guns

X.13 - (Project) 194? blended-wing troop-transport a/c
- X.13: Troop-carrier derivative of the transatlantic X.11
- X.13: Long-, medium-, and short-range versions
-- X.13 may have been included in the M.26x sequence

X.14 — (Project) 1943 blended-body post-war airliner a/c
- X.14: Reduced-weight transatlantic X.11, span 45.72 m
-- Project sim. to X.11 'Scheme BX' except for engines
- X.14: 4 x 2,400 hp Bristol Centaurus CE125M
-- For indirect N. Atlantic crossing or Empire routes
-- http://alternathistory.com/files/resize/users/user675/Miles_X14_Project-02-680x274.JPG
- X.14: Military freighter variant (rear loading?)
-- Oct 1943, MAP rejected X.11 and X.14 projects

X.15 — (Project) 194? post-war transatlantic airliner
- X.15: Long-range transport a/c to AM Spec. 2/44*
- X.15: 6 x 2,500 hp Napier Sabres, span 51.81 m
- X.15: Enlarged X.14, ultimately revised X.11 concept
-- * Specification for Brabazon Committee Type I**
-- ** Larger Bristol Type 167 Brabazon won

X.xx — (??)

[1] PI26 was an early-stage designation of what became the Crecy 12-cylinder diesel engine. As that engine was still on the 'Secret' list at the time, according to Don L. Brown, Ministry officials wrongly assumed that Miles' Rolls-Royce reference was to the Griffon.

Last edited:
X.2 - (Project) 1936 38-seat blended-wing transport aircraft
- X.2 : 4 x 900 hp air-cooled Rolls-Royce (?),* span 30.17 m
- X.2 : Wooden mock-up to AM Spec. 42/37 funded, not built
-- * But drawings show 4 x 900 hp R-R Kestrel V-12s
-- * Engines buried (for inflight mtx) driving extension shafts

X.11 - (Project) 1943 post-war long-range transport a/c
- X.11: Pre-war X.7 devel., span 45.70 m, for Spec 2/44*
-- * Later as a Brabazon Committee Type I submission
- X.11: 8 x buried engines** driving 4 x contra-props
-- ** Listed as [/i]Merlin[/i]s or 2,300 hp R-R PI26 [1]

[1] PI26 was an early-stage designation of what became the Crecy 12-cylinder diesel engine. As that engine was still on the 'Secret' list at the time, Ministry officials wrongly assumed that Miles' Rolls-Royce reference was to the Griffon.

The X2 artwork in the popular press is misleading. The wing depth around the buried engines is between 3 and 4 feet and with cooling ducts around/between. In-flight maintenance would not have been possible.

If Miles sent an official tender for the X.11 they would have specified which engines were to be used (t.o. weight of 130,000lb and power loading of 8.96lb/hp gives 1750hp per engine) and A.M. officials were well aware of the P.126 project if this was offered as the prime or alternative choice. Cutaway published in 1943 suggests water cooled engines.

Perhaps relevant to the corporate connections section... There is a Beagle Technology Group operating in Christchurch, Dorset that from a brief look at the companies house site has also traded as Beagle Aircraft (1969) Limited (12 Dec 1969 - 12 Jul 1990) and Beagle Aircraft Limited (12 Jul 1990 - 22 Jun 2011). However given that the company has had a number of dormant periods I suspect it leant its name to another company at some point...

Beagle Technology Group

Zeb

So, Beagle is Beagle :) Cheers Zeb!

Under 'Our History', they mention being "founded in 1956". I've added an intentionally-vague note about that in the corporate chronology. Most reports suggest that BEAGLE didn't exist until 1960. I guess, prior to emerging into plain sight, it took this new subsidiary a few years to get their ducks in a row.

Beagle TG's current emphasis on composites is slightly ironic. After all, it was they would designed out the plastics from their B.242X revision of Miles' M.118 :D

Schneiderman: Thanks for the corrections. I've removed the 'for inflight mtx' ref. In-flight engine maintenance seems to have been something of a fad in the '30s. Presumably the popular press' illustrators added that touch without reference to any detailed drawings from Miles.

I got the bit on the PI26 for the X.11 from Don L. Brown ... whose retrospectives tend to incorporate conspiracy theories about Miles being frozen out by officialdom. On the X.11, Brown's implication was not that the Ministry was unaware of the PI26 ... but rather that they had assumed Miles was unaware of the existence of this then-secret Roll-Royce diesel engine.

Ah, I misunderstood your comment.
It is always wise to take Brown's stories with a degree of caution :) :)