hesham said:
in a French magazine,I found this; AW.12 and AW.13 were a light bombers,
but I don't remember it now or its name.

We must don't forget this Info.

hesham said:
hesham said:
in a French magazine,I found this; AW.12 and AW.13 were a light bombers,
but I don't remember it now or its name.

We must don't forget this Info.

No, I think that we can ignore that for now. Without a reference to the source that we can check it is not information.

The Aries was ordered to contract 725892/26 to meet Specification 20/25. Clearly there was a very long ‘gestation period’ as it didn’t fly until May 1930. By the time the Aries finally appeared, the Type Number system was well underway, so perhaps not unreasonable that it was retroactively denoted AW.17 when it became clear the original recipient of that type number would not see the light of day.

The AWXVII twin-engine fighter concept is a bit of an oddity. It would certainly fit the remit for F.7/30 (4 guns, excellent view for the pilot) although what the unspecified R-R engines would have been is hard to say. The nacelles are far too small for Kestrels. The AW20 twin-engine bomber, which is the same design with very minor modification and Kestrels, makes much more sense.
As a concept the AWXVII probably did not really need a full project number so reusing 17 for the Aries makes sense.

The AWP projects even had sub designs

Attachments

• Unknown Source.jpg
    Unknown Source.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 71
hi all

Type 130 - may be Sinaia
Type 137 - Atlas Mk.I
Type 154 - Argosy Mk.I

AM said:
hi all

Type 130 - may be Sinaia
Type 137 - Atlas Mk.I
Type 154 - Argosy Mk.I

Interesting suggestion, can you give us a source for the information. Thanks

Hmmmm, never happy with secondary or tertiary sources. Questionable at best.

Hmm, don't know what you saw at that site, but I cannot see those designations.
It is a well known Russian site AviaDejaVu, which just contains snippets culled from books and magazines (not necessarily with permission!)

Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft since 1913 by Oliver Tapper, Putnam 1973 gives constructor number 139 for the first Atlas, constructor number 154 for the first Argosy. The Sinaia was originally a Siddeley Deasey product - that company was taken over by A-W at the time the Sinaia first took to the air. Tapper writes an 'unlikely' type number 103 was mentioned for it.

Indeed he does, and that is probably the source of the confusion. Construction numbers are a very different thing from project designations.

From Aeroplane monthly 1988.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 4.png