MCD Toss Back Boost 4.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 541
  • MCD Toss Back Boost 5.jpg
    MCD Toss Back Boost 5.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 259
  • MCD Toss Back Boost 6.jpg
    MCD Toss Back Boost 6.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 334
The first two pics are of the McDonnell Toss-Back Booster TAV concept from the 80's.I think they speak for themselves. The topic had been touched on briefly in the MOL thread (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4024.75.html)

But I thought it needed a home of it's own.

The third pic has two concepts. The HTL concept is self-explanatory. But HAVTOHL was, IIRC, worked out in the GRM-29A concept.

Attachments

• banv5n2.jpg
    banv5n2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 267
  • HTL.jpg
    HTL.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Toss-Back Launch'.jpg
    Toss-Back Launch'.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Toss-Back.jpg
    Toss-Back.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 249
Has the toss-back booster grown another stage since we last saw it?

A merging would definitely be good. And the Toss-Back sure did grow another stage it would seem. Fascinating.

Also, I could'nt find much else on the GRM-29A except for the HAVTOHL pic and the pic from APR (I'm wondering if that issue will be back for sale one day). Other than that, info on the GRM is pretty scarce.

Maybe the good Doctor himself could help us shed a sliver of light on one of these projects.

The images posted by XP67_Moonbat seem to come from an AIAA presentation by Paul Czysz (http://www.aiaa.org/documents/industry/presentations/Future_of_Space_C.%20Bruno_P._Czysz.ppt).

And lets not forget Moonbat's toss-back drawings at the McDonnell-Douglas hypersonics thread (http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2867.msg60491.html#msg60491), though the dimensions might need updating?

Does anyone have an idea if the "Toss-back booster" vehicle was to have orbital capacity like the TAV version (they look different) or if it was just sub-orbital?

There's a small bit on these concepts at the end of the second Czysz presentation referenced at http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,382.msg90874.html#msg90874. It was somewhat difficult to make anything out of the audio at times, but one thing I got just now is that the attached picture actually shows two different vehicles: a larger one with a single toss-back booster and a smaller one with a two-stage booster. If someone can get more out of the lecture that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• McDD0231.jpg
    McDD0231.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 187
According Mr Czysz there is an article covering the MDC Astronautics, Huntington Beach "Toss Back booster Concept" in one of the recent Aviation Week magazines. I do not subscribe or I would be checking it out.

airrocket said:
According Mr Czysz there is an article covering the MDC Astronautics, Huntington Beach "Toss Back booster Concept" in one of the recent Aviation Week magazines. I do not subscribe or I would be checking it out.

Give me the date and I can pull the article off the Lexis database.

"... in response to the U. S. Air Force's interest in a vehicle that can fly in and out of the earth's atmosphere to perform a variety of missions."

Timely, given all the hand wringing about China's Schroedinger FOBS test. Very '80's-like faceted "stealth-like" shaping.

Damn interesting idea, that toss back booster. The late Paul CZYSZ repeatedly mentioned its inventor at MDD Huntington Beach - except he gets a different name every time !
Joe Thurgau
Joe Shergi
Joe Tshrugi
?

Anyone ever consider LOX drop tanks? Kerosene for rocket up and jets coming down... maybe a little nitrous oxide on orbit?

ab99ae53bd6fbf4f_large

Artist's illustration of preliminary design of transatmospheric vehicle (TAV) flying near satellite; TAV is aerospace plane capable of traveling at hypersonic speed conceived by NASA & Dept. of Def.
41469826c12606cc_large

Artist's illustration of preliminary design of transatmospheric vehicle (TAV); aerospace plane capable of traveling at hypersonic speed conceived by NASA & Dept. of Def.