125mm 2A45M (Sprut-B) towed anti-tank gun

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Hi gents

I am looking for some pictures of the powerful Soviet 125mm 2A45M (Sprut-B) towed anti-tank gun.
I know that it was produced in prototype form, but am not to sure if it was put into full scale production!

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Pioneer

I'm pretty sure it went into at least low rate production.

Attachments

• 2a45m.jpg
    2a45m.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 2a45m_03.jpg
    2a45m_03.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 469
I'm not convinced that that first picture is a 2A45. The barrel looks very skinny compared to other pictures and the wheels and other fittings don't seem to match.

According to Christopher Foss, in early 2010 there was still no evidence that the weapon had moved beyond the prototype stage.

ROSOBORONEXPORT's online catalogue (http://www.rusarm.ru/cataloque/lanforces_cataloque.html for land forces equipment) lists only the 2S25 SPRUT-SD, a self-propelled version of the same weapon.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

I'm not convinced that that first picture is a 2A45. The barrel looks very skinny compared to other pictures and the wheels and other fittings don't seem to match.

and it appears to be being towed by a HUMVEE...

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:

In fact, the more I look at that picture, the more I think that it's actually a towed anti-aircraft gun in the 20-25mm range. The yellowish line that appears to be a barrel is actually a road or terrain feature in the background; only the darker line near the trailer is the actual barrel. Which also explains why the cunner's seat is so high, which would be sub-optimal in an antitank weapon.

Thanks Abraham Gubler, for your speedy response with your pics
I have read (and going by the profile drawing I have attached) that The 2A45M was created in the late 1980s at the Petrov Design Bureau at Artillery Plant Number 9 also responsible for the 122 mm howitzer 2A18 (D-30).
and your second picture looks to confirm this!
Although I have to agree with the other forum members that the first picture doesn't look like (to small and light and the towing arrangement looks wrong!)

Please keep looking gents as there must be more pictures out there of this awesome ATG!

P.S. I have been looking everywhere on Youtube without luck!!
But I will keep looking!!!

Regards
Pioneer

TomS said:
robunos said:

In fact, the more I look at that picture, the more I think that it's actually a towed anti-aircraft gun in the 20-25mm range. The yellowish line that appears to be a barrel is actually a road or terrain feature in the background; only the darker line near the trailer is the actual barrel. Which also explains why the cunner's seat is so high, which would be sub-optimal in an antitank weapon.

I believe that what we're seeing here is actually a simulated Sprut, more than likely at National Training Center, Fort Irwin. Looking at the picture, there appears to be a simfire device above the barrel... common enough of other VISMOD systems.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

TomS said:
robunos said:

While I agree that the weapon portrayed is not quite is claimed, I will point out that the barrel, which you refer to as a "yellowish line" cuts across (ie in front) of vegetation which is obviously behind it. That would indicate to me that it is indeed a (more than likely) long, cylindrical object. I agree that the gunner's seat does appear rather incongruous and excessively hight for the weapon to be what is claimed. I also note that the squarish box object, in front of the shield in the second picture is missing from the first with the sand coloured weapon. While not necessarily a confirming feature, it is one that is recognisable in the drawing in the first post. I also note that the twin recoil cylinders, above the barrel are missing from the picture with the sand-coloured weapon and the shield itself is the wrong shape. That in the drawing and the second, green-coloured weapon picture, obviously flat while the sand-coloured one has turned back, lower corners. I would suggest that what ever the sand coloured one is, it is not the same as the drawing and the green coloured one.

I believe that what we're seeing here is actually a simulated Sprut, more than likely at National Training Center, Fort Irwin. Looking at the picture, there appears to be a simfire device above the barrel... common enough of other VISMOD systems.

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

Great observation Russ
Now all I need to give you is a Laser Designator for you to call in fire!!

Regards
Pioneer

robunos said:

The pic is from http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/2a45m.jpg that I had on my hard drive from 10 years ago. It does look like an OPFOR mock up.