CPU Hits 100% on Homepage?

Barrington Bond

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Just recently when I come here my CPU hits 100% and stays there with infrequent dips even if I just sit on the homepage and do nothing. Other sites don't seem to do it - any ideas anyone?

Regards,
Barry

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _________
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./ It’s a trap! \
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _,,,--~~~~~~~~--,_ . . . .\ ._________/
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :º ‘-, . . \/. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .,-‘ :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : : :eek: : ‘-, . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : : :O ‘-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .,-‘ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : , : : :º :::: :::: ::’; . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .,-‘ / / : :: :: :: :: : : :::: :::-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;\ . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . /,-‘,’ :: : : : : : : : : :: :: :: : ‘-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;;| . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . /,’,-‘ :: :: :: :: :: :: :: : ::_,-~~,_’-, ;; ;; ;; ;; | . . . . . . .
. . . . . _/ :,’ :/ :: :: :: : : :: :: _,-‘/ : ,-‘;’-‘’’’’~-, ;; ;; ;;,’ . . . . . . . .
. . . ,-‘ / : : : : : : ,-‘’’ : : :,--‘’ :|| /,-‘-‘--‘’’__,’’’ \ ;; ;,-‘ . . . . . . . .
. . . \ :/,, : : : _,-‘ --,,_ : : \ :\ ||/ /,-‘-‘x### ::\ \ ;;/ . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . \/ /---‘’’’ : \ #\ : :\ : : \ :\ \| | : (O##º : :/ /-‘’ . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . /,’____ : :\ ‘-#\ : \, : :\ :\ \ \ : ‘-,___,-‘,-`-,, . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . ‘ ) : : : :’’’’--,,--,,,,,,¯ \ \ :: ::--,,_’’-,,’’’¯ :’- :’-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .) : : : : : : ,, : ‘’’’~~~~’ \ :: :: :: :’’’’’¯ :: ,-‘ :,/\ . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\,/ /|\\| | :/ / : : : : : : : ,’-, :: :: :: :: ::,--‘’ :,-‘ \ \ . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\\’|\\ \|/ ‘/ / :: :_--,, : , | )’; :: :: :: :,-‘’ : ,-‘ : : :\ \, . . . . . . .
. . . ./¯ :| \ |\ : |/\ :: ::----, :\/ :|/ :: :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : ‘’-,,_ . . . .
. . ..| : : :/ ‘’-(, :: :: :: ‘’’’’~,,,,,’’ :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : : : :,-‘’’\\ . . . .
. ,-‘ : : : | : : ‘’) : : :¯’’’’~-,: : ,--‘’’ : :,-‘’ : : : : : : : : : ,-‘ :¯’’’’’-,_ .
./ : : : : :’-, :: | :: :: :: _,,-‘’’’¯ : ,--‘’ : : : : : : : : : : : / : : : : : : :’’-,
/ : : : : : -, :¯’’’’’’’’’’’¯ : : _,,-~’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : :| : : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : :¯’’~~~~~~’’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : | : : : : : : : : :

Save any work you may be doing where you have modified files.

Go to the bottom of your screen, on the solid blue bar (same bar that START button is on) (assuming you use Wondows).

Right click on that bar.

When little menu comes up, left click on "Task Manager".

Click the "Processes" Tab near the top of the "Task Manager" screen.

Left click the "CPU" heading just below the tab you clocked above.
(this will sort the processes in ascending (top to bottom) order by which
ones are taking most of the CPU time".

Use the slider on the right side of the "Task Manager" screen to slide down
to the bottom of the screen where the processes that are taking most of the
CPU time will be located". You will there see under the "CPU" heading which
processes are taking most of the time.

You should watch it awhile as the screen will change as different processes
come and go and get their time slices.

Record the names of the processes in the left hand column
that have significant numbers in the CPU column. Don't
worry about "System Idle Process". Don't worry about stuff that
has low "CPU" utilization numbers (like 2% or 5%.

You will more than likely see names with numbers like 50% or 60%,
periodically.

Maybe even a name that you can recognize because it may be
associated with a piece of software on your computer, like
your virus scanner.

Or some other process.

If the name doesn't make any sense, then go google it or look it up
and you may also see similar experiences from other people.

Also recall that sometimes if you have automatic updates for
Windows, or your virus scanner, or even stuff like Adobe, or
some of the media players (QuickTime for example) and others,
they may have decided to download software to you.

In these cases you will see such names in the process lists I
mentioned above, and then you will know what's going on.

This is happening on the Homepage for this site only whether I'm logged in or out.

Windows Internet Explorer
In Task Manager it is Iexplore getting 99 in the CPU column with everything else at 0. In Performance CPU usage is mostly staying at 100%.

I find it rather puzzling and worrying?!

Regards,
Barry

Can't see any cause for this, and can't duplicate it. The site does nothing except run some simple javascript, nothing that should cause issues. What version of IE?

Barrington Bond said:
This is happening on the Homepage for this site only whether I'm logged in or out.

Windows Internet Explorer
In Task Manager it is Iexplore getting 99 in the CPU column with everything else at 0. In Performance CPU usage is mostly staying at 100%.

I find it rather puzzling and worrying?!

Regards,
Barry

I would advise you to immediately stop using IE and start using a Mozilla based browser such as Firefox or SeaMonkey (or perhaps even Flock?) with a selective script blocking extension. Try Firefox 3.6 with the NoScript and Flashblock add-ons - and use OldBar if you find the Firefox "AwesomeBar" to be annoying. If you're adverse to installing new programs, try installing a portable version on a thumbdrive.

The bottom line is that NOBODY should use any iteration of IE. Despite 5 years of warnings, this always comes a shock to most PC users and no doubt will elicit a number of angry rebuttals. It's not just the issue of exploits, it comes down to the ability to selectively block scripts using NoScript. In the end, all non-Mozillla browsers have the same Achilles Heel, whether it's Opera, Safari, Chrome or the infamous Internet Explorer.

So you know it is iexplore.exe. That's good.

I have had periods in the past where IE has been dog slow.

In such cases, I also did as Tin Wing suggested and moved to a different browser
for awhile. I never had the exact behavior you have had on a specific web site
however.

I also wonder if a system restore to back before you recall this behavior
showing up, might also help.

IE8 and should be fully updated.

Thanks for the suggestions - this weekend I may rebuild and put on Firefox instead.

Regards,
Barry

Barrington Bond said:
IE8 and should be fully updated.

Thanks for the suggestions - this weekend I may rebuild and put on Firefox instead.

Regards,
Barry

You still use IE ?!
its now 6 years that I give up IE because of those problems
IE goes 100%CPU on some page, I never found that Problem
so i wend on Apple and Safari, but I play with idea to get Firefox 3.6 also

Browsers, whether IE or Firefox, have become more and more greedy in terms of system resources. Each time you open a new thumb or window, you increase the amount of memory used... and even when you close them you never recover the initial free memory, unless you close the programs for good. Even then, sometimes they are not properly shut down and you need to kill them off in the Task Manager process list.

Now what you're talking about is a little different (though perhaps related), since it's not the memory used, but the CPU's resources in percentage. I once had similar trouble as you do, and it was with an Internet Explorer 7.something. Once I upgraded to IE 8 it suddenly stopped, so perhaps you ought to do the same. At any rate, unless you develop web sites and need several browsers to compare the display of your pages, there is nothing Mozilla Firefox can't do just as well (better, even, most of the time) that Internet Explorer.

I had the same problem with IE_6, and eventually upgraded to IE_8. But, the 'site lock-up' persisted.

I've now installed Google's Chrome beside IE: Happily Chrome does NOT lock up. Yes, it sometimes runs really, really slowly while my fire-wall is 'background installing' an update. If I'm doing a lot of browsing, such as a deep google search, I'll turn-off live update for a while...