What is this airplane?

Attachments

• mitch170unusualplane.jpg
    mitch170unusualplane.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 591
Maveric said:
Remington-Burnelli RB-2 ;)

Yep, typical Burnelli fuselage's shape.

Burnelli was a true pioneer in the field of lifting-body and he shaped the fuselage like a wing profile in order to gain more performance e re-enforce the strenght by structural point of view.

Further infos about Burnelli's works in the following links:

http://www.things-with-wings.com/Burnelli/OtherBurnelli.htm

It looks like James May has been at it again with another flying caravan.

Remington-Burnelli RB-2

3-view below from 'Aeroplane Monthly', March 1980, page 147.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Burnelli RB-2.jpg
    Burnelli RB-2.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 498
Any idea why the RB-2 is described as a "Garvan-Burnelli" and not a Remington-Burnelli in the NASM Archives' Revista Aérea Collection? ???

Skyblazer said:
Any idea why the RB-2 is described as a "Garvan-Burnelli" and not a Remington-Burnelli in the NASM Archives' Revista Aérea Collection? ???

Explanation in attached item.
Apparently the name didn't stick and the name Remington-Burnelli continued to be widely used in company ads, articles, etc.
And by December 1928, Burnelli (presumably with some help from financier Paul W. Chapman, who had financed his CB-16 transport) had acquired full control of the company and only his name appeared. All this time he was also vice-president and chief designer of the Aeromarine-Klemm Corp. (whose president was Inglis Uppercu), so when financial trouble arose for that company, Uppercu and Burnelli created the Uppercu-Burnelli Corp. which took over Aeromarine-Klemm, as well as Burnelli's own current projects.

Attachments

• Garvan-Burnelli (Aero Digest, Apr. 1926).jpg
    Garvan-Burnelli (Aero Digest, Apr. 1926).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 232
Found this old original photo in my files. Text is from a piece of paper that was taped to the back.

Attachments

• Brunelli.jpg
    Brunelli.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 157
  • info.jpg
    info.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 143
Very nice photo, RAP, thanks a lot! I've been deep in everything Burnelli for the past three days (preparing the Burnelli-related page of my new site) and so this comes as a nice addition, since I'd never seen that photo before!
When the RB-2 appeared in 1924, it was the largest freight-carrier in the world, no less! Adverts showed the interior with a car, a desk, a chair, and still plenty of room around!

Attachments

• RB-2 ad.png
    RB-2 ad.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 48
1926 Aviation article.

Attachments

• RB.png
    RB.png
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 43