Register here

Author Topic: Solid State Laser News  (Read 100961 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Solid State Laser News
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »
Navy-Built Laser Weapon System Will Begin Demo On Ponce In Early 2014
NATIONAL HARBOR, MD -- The chief of naval operations announced April 8 that the Navy's Laser Weapon System (LaWS) will be installed on the interim afloat forward staging base Ponce by early calendar year 2014, part of a new overall strategy he called for that involves better understanding and leveraging the electromagnetic spectrum for both offensive and defensive capabilities.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:49 pm »
Soft Kill Machine

Mating the High Energy Liquid Laser Area Defense System on General Atomics Aeronautical Systems' Predator C Avenger remotely piloted aircraft would create a game-changing weapon system capable of taking out non-hardened ground targets like antennas, said Frank Pace, president of the company's Aircraft Systems Group. "If we had money, we could maybe have that working by 2018," said Pace during an interview in Le Bourget, France, during the 50th Paris Air Show. The laser would be fitted in Avenger's internal payload bay, he said. The company's concept does not envision HELLADS protecting Avenger from anti-aircraft missiles; therefore, managing the heat generated from firing the laser weapon would be manageable, said Pace during the June 18 interview. Aircraft self-protection would require more frequent and comparatively longer laser bursts, creating a tougher thermal management challenge, he acknowledged. Instead, the company envisions HELLADS negating a soft target with a comparatively shorter burst and then having time to cool down before firing again, he said. "What we are looking at is a fairly infinite magazine that will allow you a firing capability about once a minute and then we can handle the thermal dynamics of the situation," he said. Work on HELLADS, a General Atomics design, has occurred under DARPA sponsorship. The Air Force has also talked about demonstrating a HELLADS derivative on the B-1 bomber. (For more from Pace's interview, read Ready to Go and New Eyes for Avenger.)
ŚMichael C. Sirak
6/25/2013
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:56 am »
Thank you for posting bobbymike.

Predator C lacks real stealth, very good performance including endurance. lots o $ for little benefit. Predator fuselage originally designed for torpedo tube launch not air dominance.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 06:04:05 am »
Predator fuselage originally designed for torpedo tube launch not air dominance.

1.  Whatever you're smoking, I want some.  2. NO UCAV is designed for air dominance.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline jsport

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:39 am »
Predator fuselage originally designed for torpedo tube launch not air dominance.

1.  Whatever you're smoking, I want some.  2. NO UCAV is designed for air dominance.
Strong opinions enliven the conversation ;D

Offline antigravite

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 12:21:27 pm »
Hi!

Seems DARPA got a new DEW project called "Endurance" with RFP issued and funded granted to LM and NG!

Picture taken from secondary source article. (Nope, B1B's not a UAV... err... yet.)

source: Allen McDuffee, "DARPA plans to Arm Drones with Missile Blasting Lasers", Wired/Danger Room Blog, 01/11/13
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/11/drone-lasers/

A.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:28:13 pm by antigravite »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
L e t   b o l d s   b e   l i g h t
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline sferrin

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

AMBER was designed to allow torpedo tube launch - it was a requirement. GNAT changed the cross section of the fuselage, Predator was not much of a change over that.

Offline bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline fredymac

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 04:25:51 am »

Third time I'm trying to post this....   HELMD test at White Sands/HELSTF.  Let's see if it works this time.

Offline bobbymike

Charles W. Eliot

Offline fredymac

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 04:57:27 am »
HEL concept from Rafael in Israel.  Unknown how far along they are (no pics of actual hardware I can find).  I would guess this is a bundled fiber laser system using noncoherently coupled lasers boresighted into a common aperture.  This might turn out to be the first combat validated HEL system ever deployed if they actually go through with full development.

Offline Moose

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:43 am »
Why would they put the turret there, restricting its line of "fire" so dramatically? A pop-up turret through the roof of the container would make a lot more sense.

Offline TomS

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
Mechanical simplicity, probably. It looks to me as though the entire system is mounted on rails inside the ISO container, so it all slides back and out to expose the beam director.  That keeps a fixed geometry between the lasing parts and the beam director, eliminating a potential point of failure.

For Israel's scenarios, the threat axes for short-range weapons like this are pretty well known.  They don't need a super-wide coverage arc.