McDonnell Douglas Model 225 Painting

The Artist

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This painting was done to illustrate a proposal I'm making to the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum. Acrylic on 15 by 30 inch canvas panel.

The Model 225 was McDonnell Douglas' entry in the Navy's VFX competition which resulted in the selection of the Grumman G-303 design as the F-14.

Note: I've reached the point where I've got to step away from this painting for a bit then look at it with a fresh eye to see if it really is done. I figured I'd let everyone else take a look at it.

Mike

Attachments

• MDC Model 225A.jpg
    MDC Model 225A.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,451
Wow! Such beautiful artwork!

If I had one thing to be critical about, it would be the angle of view, because from that angle you don't really see that much of a difference from a Tomcat, at least the everyday visitor wouldn't know the difference. Otherwise it's great!

It's a really beautiful painting. I agree with Stargazer, at the very first sight at least, it looks Tomcat.

Gorgeous painting The Artist! Unfortunately, the McDonnell Douglas Model 255 design is very similar to the Grumman Model G-303 design. I believe that most people would mistakenly believe the Model 255 to be the Grumman F-14 Tomcat. I wonder if the addition of a second Model 255 in the painting in which you can see more of a dorsal view might help to differentiate the Model 255 from the Grumman F-14 Tomcat?

Thank you The Artist for showing us your work!

Very nice!

Here's an idea.

Show two F-4's peeling off (a USN and USAF - the GREAT - but theiy're being replaced -
and both of course McDonnell Douglas programs), you have the Model 225 here (a bid for
USN VFX), and you can show climbing up into view the F-15 (which won the USAF F-X
program). Would be very emotional. All important McDonnell Douglas bids. Two successes
out of three - aint bad!

Nice Job!!

Larry

I think it is really great, and using a Tomcat scheme emphasises what it is. Anyone interested in aviation will realise there's something up with that Tomcat :)

Thank you all for your comments.

The comments about it looking like a Tomcat pleases me. I selected this angle because of that look. I guess I should explain the proposal that I'm making to the museum. They have a small collection of company models (Mark Nankivil has posted photos of them.) that are currently displayed with very little information. I'm proposing that each model be displayed with a painting illustrating both what the design would could have looked like had it gone into production and where it would have fit into our aviation history. Therefore, should the proposal be accepted, this painting (or a smaller reproduction) would be displayed with the model and the model would make it clear that it is not a Tomcat.

Shockonlip, your suggestion of a group portrait sounds like an interesting project and like it would be a lot of fun to do - and you may have even named it - but it falls outside of what I'm trying to do with this one. thanks though, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again,
Mike

The Artist said:
Thank you all for your comments.

The comments about it looking like a Tomcat pleases me. I selected this angle because of that look. I guess I should explain the proposal that I'm making to the museum. They have a small collection of company models (Mark Nankivil has posted photos of them.) that are currently displayed with very little information. I'm proposing that each model be displayed with a painting illustrating both what the design would could have looked like had it gone into production and where it would have fit into our aviation history. Therefore, should the proposal be accepted, this painting (or a smaller reproduction) would be displayed with the model and the model would make it clear that it is not a Tomcat.

Shockonlip, your suggestion of a group portrait sounds like an interesting project and like it would be a lot of fun to do - and you may have even named it - but it falls outside of what I'm trying to do with this one. thanks though, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again,
Mike

Might it be worthwhile having a Tomcat photo/model nearby (or even putting an F-14 in that excellent picture), also in VF-1 markings? That might really make people do a doubletake. It would make it clear that the 225 is not and F-14, but it would also intrigue people with how two different companies, working to the same specification, independently came up with designs that look fairly similar at first glance. They could then see the differences as well. Just an idea...

Thanks for showing us the painting--it's great!

To answer Paul's question. The painting had been displayed in the Museum, but someone moved it and placed it in a place where it got water damaged. I've been redoing the painting with what I feel is a stronger background. I'll be posting the redone painting when I get it finished.

I have also done this painting showing the design from a different angle and in different markings. I present "Vandy One."

Acrylic on a canvas panel. This was done for, and will soon go into the collection of the Greater St Louis Air & Space Museum.

EDIT 06/22/2018: I've seen that Fightingirish found my posting on DeviantArt. I have sent him a PM thanking him for giving me the credit line, and I gave him permission to continue using it as his avatar image.

Attachments

• Vandy One.jpg
    Vandy One.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 573