The very last Curtiss-Wright proposals?

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here are four aircraft proposals standing in relationship with Curtiss-Wright. Peter Bowers’s “Curtiss Aircraft” Putnam title ended in 1947.

- MX-948 Medium Bomber, 1949
- MX-955 Trainer
- Model 33, Navy V.A. Proposal, 1949
- Army & Navy All-Weather Interceptor Proposal, 1949

Has anybody material on these projects?

Hi boxkite.

Curtiss-Wright Model ?/MX-948 Medium Bomber--the competitor of Lockheed
TDN Model L-173...,or competitor Boeing XB-55(Model 474)(?).

Curtiss-Wright Model ?/MX-955 Trainer---the competition of North American T-28 Trojan.

Curtiss-Wright Model 33 ( CW-33 (?)), Navy V.A. proposal----the competitor of Douglas
A3D/A-3 Skywarrior (?).

Hi devi,

very interesting speculation. North American took over the Curtiss-Wright plant, so it's possible MX-955 Trainer became a NA design (-> T-28).

boxkite said:
Hi devi,

very interesting speculation. North American took over the Curtiss-Wright plant, so it's possible MX-955 Trainer became a NA design (-> T-28).

Very highly unlikely, thre's way too much resemblance between the T-28 and some of NAA's studies of radial-engined Mustangs.

Not to mention their XSN2J or whatever it was. The taildragger T-28-looking forerunner.

elmayerle said:
boxkite said:
Hi devi,

Very highly unlikely, thre's way too much resemblance between the T-28 and some of NAA's studies of radial-engined Mustangs.

Hi boxkite!

Please if it is possible show us projects:

MX-948 Medium Bomber

MX-955 Trainer

Model 33, Navy V.A. Proposal

Army & Navy All-Weather Interceptor Proposal

from the book Peter Bowers’s “Curtiss Aircraft” Putnam title ended in 1947.

Hi nugo!

Greetings from the Valley of the unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, I can't help. Hope someone will be more successful to find a trace ...

Sorry

boxkite

Curtiss-Wright's P-541B-1 medium bomber proposal to the MX-948 tender:

Attachments

• P-541B-1 profile.jpg
    P-541B-1 profile.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 968
Stargazer2006 said:
Curtiss-Wright's P-541B-1 medium bomber proposal to the MX-948 tender:

Great find Stargazer,but what is your source ?.

hesham said:
Great find Stargazer,but what is your source ?.
Source document:
Title: Estimated Weight and Balance for Medium Bomber Proposal
Report Number: P541B-1
Date: January 14, 1948
Model Number: MX-948
One of these scans shows that the P-541-A proposal was to use a Westinghouse 24C powerplant while the P-541-B used a T37.

Attachments

• P-541B-1_1.jpg
    P-541B-1_1.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 868
  • P-541B-1_2.jpg
    P-541B-1_2.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 780
  • P-541B-1_3.jpg
    P-541B-1_3.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 758
hesham said:
Stargazer, you meant this;

See? I use the web, just like you! I do not link that site from the public sections of our forum because there is supposed to be a private section for that... and as I've said before since I'm not quite for the principle behind that section, I usually refrain from posting there.

Hi,

here is an Info about Curtiss Proposals I & II arrowhead research planes for the USN of 1948;

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1306

Attachments

• curtiss-proposal-ii-research-aircraft.jpg
    curtiss-proposal-ii-research-aircraft.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 457
hesham said:
Hi,

here is an Info about Curtiss Proposals I & II arrowhead research planes for the USN of 1948;

Is this real though?

sienar said:
hesham said:
Hi,

Is this real though?

———————————————————————————

That looks like a - slightly modified - Lippisch P13A ram-jet fighter proposed towards the tail end of WW2. P 13 was developed from the Lippisch DM-1 glider.
Meanwhile Alexander Lippisch was helping Convair develop the XF-92, F-102 and F-106 delta winged fighters

sienar said:
Is this real though?

From what I've seen in the past, this site is usually reliable and provides its own original research and articles, which has become exceedingly rare these days.

hesham said:
Hi,

By the way,

the Proposal "I" had not the same shape,but it was a high-mid swept narrow wing,and a T-tail
swept,also with a slender nose of the fuselage.

Both Curtiss proposals I and II are described and illustrated with artists impressions and 3-vieuws
in Tony Buttlers ' Early US Jetfighters - Proposals , projects & prototypes' Pages 166 to 169.
Hikoki/Crécy 2013.

lark said:
Both Curtiss proposals I and II are described and illustrated with artists impressions and 3-vieuws
in Tony Buttlers ' Early US Jetfighters - Proposals , projects & prototypes' Pages 166 to 169.
Hikoki/Crécy 2013.

Yes,now I remember,thank you my dear Lark.

From Ailes 13/5/1950,

here is a strange Project to Curtiss-Wright,it's a ramjet aircraft as I translate,but in early
estimated test it would be unmanned version,I don't know it was a missile or not.

The stato-reactor experienced in laboratory of "jets" of Curtiss-Wright develops, says, a push equivalent to that which would be necessary to propel a supersonic machine to4.200 kKkm.-h. and at 24,000 meters.

This lab - the largest in the United States and probably
of the world - was built in Wood-
Ridge, New Jersey, with the collaboration
technical and financial
read. S. Air Force.

The test bench of the stato-reactor,
steel, nearly 30 m. long,
has fuel pumps
and air compressors that can
debit from 140 to 150 tons of air and
some 22,700 liters of fuel to
time...

The temperature of the gases reaches
should be 2,190 ° C.
cooling of the nozzle by
a large circulation of water.

On the other hand, to mitigate
noises - described as "terrible"
- the exhaust., The gases are
channeled, at their exit, in three
"Silent" of almost 14 m. of
long each.

So, in turn, the Americans
make an important effort, with
very powerful ways, to put
to the point of stato-reactors ("ram-
jets ") domain in which René
Leduc is the first and so far the
alone, flying a plane
only powered by this device.

Like René Leduc, too,
Curtiss-Wright technicians
are convinced that the stato-reactor
will probably be the mode
ideal propulsion for gear
supersonic unmanned
at Mach numbers of 4 or
of 5. Figures as a result
Curtiss- "ram-jet" tests
Wright are also of the same order as those calculated by the engineer
French. . h

A preliminary draft, presented by Curtiss-Wright and shown in the sketch above, indicates that the machine
would be constituted by a fuselage.
nozzle of circular section and carrying a triangular wing of
weak, and in strong fears like, besides, the four
plans of his cruciform empennage

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    250.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 2.png
    2.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 1.png
    1.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 261
hesham said:
Hi,

Is this real though?
From NARAII files:
Curtiss-Wright Corporation, Airplane Division, Columbus, Ohio presents herewith a proposed inhabited supersonic airplane of outstanding and advanced features for the express purpose as follows:
(a) Obtain trans and supersonic aerodynamic phenomena and data on the unit as a whole, and its components such as fuselage, wing and control surfaces.
(b) Obtain flutter and structural data at trans and supersonic speeds.
(c) Obtain power plant installation dta in the whole available speed range.
(d) Train pilot and ground personnel in supersonic speed operational know-how.

The proposed research airplane is an arrow head mid-wing, semi-tailless, single place monoplane. A large fin is provided but no horizontal tail surfaces. The plane is powered by two 6.000 lbs. thrust Ram-jet engines installed in the center sections. It is provided with a tricycle landing gear but is designed for launching from a B-29 bomber at approximately 30,000 feet.

Attachments

• Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-Artist-Concept.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-Artist-Concept.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-B-29-Mounting-Artist-Concept.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-B-29-Mounting-Artist-Concept.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-General-Arrangement.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-2-General-Arrangement.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 82
Curtiss-Wright Corporation, Airplane Division, Columbus, Ohio presents herewith a proposed inhabited airplane design of outstanding features for the express purpose of trans and supersonic speed full scale flight tests to:
(a) Obtain aerodynamic phenomena and data on the unit as a whole, and its components, especially fuselage, wing and control surfaces.
(b) Obtain flutter and structural data.
(c) Obtain power plant installation data.
(d) Train pilot and ground personnel in supersonic high speed operational know-how.

The proposed research airplane is a swept back, mid-wing, tailed type Monoplane, powered with three 4,000 pound thrust liquid rocket engines installed in the rear end of the symmetrical fuselage. It is designed for launching from a B-29 bomber at approximately 30,000 feet.

Attachments

• Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-Artist-Concept.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-Artist-Concept.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-B-29-Mounting-Artist-Concept.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-B-29-Mounting-Artist-Concept.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-General Arrangement.jpg
    Curtiss-Wright-Supersonic-Airplane-Proposal-1-General Arrangement.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 101
hesham said:
Hi,

Is this real though?
From NARAII files:
Curtiss-Wright Corporation, Airplane Division, Columbus, Ohio presents herewith a proposed inhabited supersonic airplane of outstanding and advanced features for the express purpose as follows:
(a) Obtain trans and supersonic aerodynamic phenomena and data on the unit as a whole, and its components such as fuselage, wing and control surfaces.

The proposed research airplane is an arrow head mid-wing, semi-tailless, single place monoplane. A large fin is provided but no horizontal tail surfaces. The plane is powered by two 6.000 lbs. thrust Ram-jet engines installed in the center sections. It is provided with a tricycle landing gear but is designed for launching from a B-29 bomber at approximately 30,000 feet.

This is the Lippisch P.13 . . .

cheers,
Robin.

hesham said:
Hi,

Is this real though?
From NARAII files:

This is the Lippisch P.13 . . .

cheers,
Robin.
I don't disagree at all. They cut 'n pasted into their own proposal.

Well a P.13 with the coal dust-burner removed; the centrebody looks a little fatter aft to accommodate the two ramjets. Very much a copy job.
The swept-wing proposal with a T-tail looks interesting though, certainly looks up there with the latest in aerodynamic developments of that time.

The swept-wing proposal with a T-tail looks interesting though, certainly looks up there with the latest in aerodynamic developments of that time.
Slightly reminiscent of the Lockheed XF-90.